Proper attire when touring churches/cathedrals

SWDEA

I am trying to get more specific information on the proper attire for touring churches/cathedrals. I have been told that you must have your knees and shoulders covered. I assume this means that a woman can wear Capri pants or a skirt that covers her knees. Can a man wear shorts if the shorts are long enough to cover his knees? Or does a man have to wear long pants? We expect it to be hot in August and would prefer to wear shorts if that's acceptable.

The women's attire you suggest is fine. The men's may be fine in some churches, but may not pass muster at St. Peter's in Rome if you are going there. I've read reports on Tripadvisor recently of men in shorts (even covering the knee) being denied.

I agree with looking for the pants that convert to shorts. Although, lightweight pants really are no hotter than shorts. DS found this out firsthand when we went to Japan in June. (Shorts on men, particularly men with hairy legs, are frowned upon in many places...). He was surprised to find that he wasn't really any hotter wearing lightweight cotton pants than wearing his normal cargo shorts.

Also, beware of "cap" sleeves. One young woman posted that the guards at St. Peters did not want to let her in either. The shoulders (and knees) should be FULLY covered.

Last week at Santa Maria Maggiore (Rome), they were handing out what looked like small red table cloths to women so they could cover up and go in. Very funny looking, all these young American girls with table cloths wrapped around their shoulders and waists ...

Most churches don't care, I have been in most (Vatican and heavy tourist areas are an exception) with shorts....... Why chance it though, light linen pants or summer weight travel pants are quite cool and comfortable.

Michael

We were at the Vatican in 2006 and I dressed appropriately. I was shocked to find young teenage girls and young adult women dressed with tank tops, spagehetti straps and shorts in Sistine Chapel and St. Peters with us. Still, it would be my luck to get thrown out so dress according to the rules.

We were at the Vatican in 2006 and I dressed appropriately. I was shocked to find young teenage girls and young adult women dressed with tank tops, spagehetti straps and shorts in Sistine Chapel and St. Peters with us. Still, it would be my luck to get thrown out so dress according to the rules.

The Sistine chapel is in the Vatican museum -- no dress code there. I'd be highly surprised if anyone in St. Peters was not dressed properly, however.

I'm surprised that the guards at the Sistine Chapel don't refuse entry or remove those improperly dressed. It is possible to get into St. Peter's from the Vatican museums, kind of a "back door" entry, so it's possible to get in while "underdressed", but I've also seen a woman asked to leave St. Peter's because of her attire, so it might be a short-lived "win".

I don't understand why this is such an issue for people. It's their church, their rules, and we're visitors. We either abide by their rules, or don't go there, pretty simple. However, even among my own family, I've heard people question why they should be subjected to these rules.

I really do not think it is such a hardship for men or women to wear clothes that cover their shoulders and knees when visiting major cities such as Rome, even if not planning to visit churches. I am one of those who believe that shorts are for the beach or the garden, OK for a day in Santorini, but not for a day in NYC or Rome.

But I know that many disagree with my opinion. Some men purchase those zipoff slacks/shorts for the days they plan to visit churches or mosques, and many women carry light-weight pashminas to cover their shoulders. I wear capris or skirts and short-sleeved tops; my husband wears docker-type slacks and golf shirts.

Mode of dress truly seems to be one area of different cultural mores between Americans and Europeans. In Istanbul and Athens, for example, many tourists wear shorts, but you will not find residents wearing them. But I remember seeing pictures posted here very recently of American women wearing running shorts and tank tops sitting at sidewalk cafes in Rome.:eek:

This question seems to come up weekly, if not more often, on these boards, and I truly appreciate that the OP asked very thoughtfully to get a more detailed description of the precise rules.

Archived