Singing in the MDR

Willabee

We've been on 17 Carnival cruises with 3 more scheduled and we love the entertainment. We participate when possible and really missed the Leaving Our Fun Ship the last cruise. It's a lot of fun and our servers like it when we join in. We don't think it detracts from the "formal" atmosphere where we wear tuxes and long gowns. The informal/sloppy dress of others bothers us more. Have fun! It's a cruise!

We've been on 17 Carnival cruises with 3 more scheduled and we love the entertainment. We participate when possible and really missed the Leaving Our Fun Ship the last cruise. It's a lot of fun and our servers like it when we join in. We don't think it detracts from the "formal" atmosphere where we wear tuxes and long gowns. The informal/sloppy dress of others bothers us more. Have fun! It's a cruise!

people still wear that stuff on CCL?;)

Bill

The whole singing and dancing thing makes me uncomfortable, although not enough to try to rush through every meal or skip dessert.

Personally, I think it is degrading to the dining room staff and I don’t imagine that many of them actually enjoy it (although I’m sure many or most would say that they do, just to toe the company line). How would you like it if twice per shift you had to stop doing your job to sing and dance (like trained monkeys, in the latter case) for your company’s clients?

If the singing was either (a) at least somewhat spontaneous, or (b) performed by professionals, rather than by dining room staff, I think it would add to the “Funship” experience. However, the nightly event simply reinforces the concept that the staff are mere servants who are there to amuse the passengers.

I also think a couple of nights would be plenty. We did have our daughter and her best friend on Conquest in June (both 18) and they loved the singing and dancing.

It looked to me like about 25% of the waiters really enjoyed performing (and some may just have been better at putting on a good face). The others looked like they were in line for a root canal.

There were a couple of waiters who were excellent dancers- we did enjoy watching them.

It only delayed our dessert a couple of times, and it was no big deal. It was just a few minutes and where are we in such a rush to get to, anyway? It's a cruise. No problem mon!:D

I hear alot of you saying it was nice on my 1st cruise but now I'm on cruise 400 million and it is old. Well think about all the people that this is their first cruise and are seeing it for the first time.

Once was absolutely more than enough, thank you. The Miracle was our first cruise. We really disliked the hoopla during our very first meal in the dining room. It was something we have no desire to experience again.

When we sat down for our second dinner, we immediately asked our waitstaff to bring our decaf cappucinos and/or dessert as quickly as possible so we could bolt swiftly from the dining room before the hoopla began. They were tipped generously and confided in us, while rolling their eyes :rolleyes::rolleyes:, that they understood completely.

We could handle the festivities during the final dinner, but if we sail Carnival in the future, we will arrange the same with the waitstaff or dine in another venue. ;)

On my 4 night cruise we had singing twice. It was not every night. My group really enjoyed it. They did a song from Slum Dog Millionaire and the song about the bags packed. Were on the lower level in the middle by the stairs, so we had a great view. I missed the flaming desert presentation, I guess they don't do that one on 4 night cruises.

Janice

We are Platinum and it is real old. We we tend to eat fast so we can get out dessert and get out before the singing starts.

A couple times a week is OK. If it wasn't for the warm melting chocolate cake we'd skip dessert.

Bill

You really must hate it to "eat fast...maybe we can get out before they start and miss the entertainment".

My DH and my mom are not fond of the singing... however they are tolerant and understand that others do. Me, I love watching the faces of the kids and enjoy watching the staff members that really get into it.

The whole singing and dancing thing makes me uncomfortable, although not enough to try to rush through every meal or skip dessert.

Personally, I think it is degrading to the dining room staff and I don’t imagine that many of them actually enjoy it (although I’m sure many or most would say that they do, just to toe the company line). How would you like it if twice per shift you had to stop doing your job to sing and dance (like trained monkeys, in the latter case) for your company’s clients?

If the singing was either (a) at least somewhat spontaneous, or (b) performed by professionals, rather than by dining room staff, I think it would add to the “Funship” experience. However, the nightly event simply reinforces the concept that the staff are mere servants who are there to amuse the passengers.

I can't agree more. And I hate the fact that every congo line the Maitre D comes over and askes me why I don't join in. And every time I say the same thing -- I'm not a joiner. They look at me funny. So sorry I expect prompt, understated service with a bad Buster Poindexter song!

(It's also why I won't buy ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery. I find it depressing and soul-crushing that those kids are forced to sing if you tip them.)

My wife absolutely loves it. My guess would be that the majority of people do as well (take a look around when they are performing). I can understand that it is not everyones cup of tea, but I doubt it is going anywhere soon.

Archived