Why would people go to Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta

Schplinky

I am really smiling at this thread. We live in Puerto Vallarta during the winter (jan and Feb) and take the bus from our condo to Walmart at least once a week (its a 20 min ride) to stock-up on groceries. Its a great store! But, if you want to buy booze you should go next door to Sams where they have some great prices on Tequilia and Controy (Mexican Cointreu used to make the perfect Margarita).

Hank

I am really smiling at this thread. We live in Puerto Vallarta during the winter (jan and Feb) and take the bus from our condo to Walmart at least once a week (its a 20 min ride) to stock-up on groceries. Its a great store! But, if you want to buy booze you should go next door to Sams where they have some great prices on Tequilia and Controy (Mexican Cointreu used to make the perfect Margarita).

Hank

YES... Our Sams club card is good there too.:D

I went to the Wal-Mart in Cabo and Acapulco on my last cruise. I have the beach bag that is also made of cooler material and we bought a case of beer, pastries, fruit and snacks and a bag of ice and made our way down to the beach. Great day at an ever better price. Plus, they even gave away free beer samples. What more could you want.

Are the stores within walking distance from the ship at these two ports (Cabo & Acapulco)?

OK .. here are the facts...

Walmart pays the majority of its workers in Mexico 100 pesos a day for 10 hour shifts. Fact. that is about $7.40 USD per day.

Does it suck? Yes. Is it rotten for the company? Yes. Do the employees suffer? Yes Is this exploitation of an already rotten situation? Yes.

Unfortunately Walmart is your best alternative for All Items from Produce, meats - snorkel gear. No one can touch the company.

If you are a local you will use two stores equally becasue they hate eachother and have good prices - Commercial Mexicana and Walmart.

Forget about Soriana - They are real rip off artiists and not intellegent enough to compete with either of the the above.

OK. $7.40 a day sounds really bad.

But how does that compare with other stores and wages normally made there. Please let us know.

Are the stores within walking distance from the ship at these two ports (Cabo & Acapulco)?

Definitely not in Cabo. Here is a map. Marina is at the bottom. WalMart is upper right. It's also important to note that where the "yellow line" starts is highway with only a dirt shoulder. In addition - it would be about a $15 cab ride (each way) so it's not really worth it. What are you looking to buy? I can give you some other ideas.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=22.8913181&lon=-109.9106383&z=16&l=0&m=b

Here is Acapulco. The cruise ship terminal is on the far left (long, red roofed building). The WalMart is all the way on the other side of the bay. There is a Soriana which "might" be walkable. Soriana is fairly similar to a Super WalMart. They will have groceries, wine, soda, clothing, etc. You just follow the waterfront road to the right. It's before you get to Papagayo Park. Still might be a tough walk though because of the heat & humidity.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=16.8543679&lon=-99.8805714&z=15&l=0&m=b

Edited by SDPadreFan

OK. $7.40 a day sounds really bad.

But how does that compare with other stores and wages normally made there. Please let us know.

Burger King 80 pesos for 8 hours.

Pizza Hut 80 pesos for 8 hours.

Starbucks 100 pesos plus tips for 8 hours

Dominos Pizza 80 pesos for 8 hours. Drivers get tips.

They all charge you the same in Mexico as you woud pay in the USA. As a matter of fact the menu prices fluctuate with the Dollar / Peso so at this moment you will pay 70 pesos for a hamburger and coke with fries.. almost as much for one burger as they pay their employees in one day.

The average employee for any company in Mexico earns about 50 pesos a day. It is not fair to the employees or the country. But the minimum wage is 10 pesos an hour.

Think about this.. the next time you buy a Pizza in Mexico - 200 pesos for a pizza is almost 2 1/2 days wages for the average worker. the companies should be held to a higher standard of ethics. you pay the same here as you would at home - but the workers in the USA for these companies earn $7 or $8 an hour.

Burger King 80 pesos for 8 hours.

Pizza Hut 80 pesos for 8 hours.

Starbucks 100 pesos plus tips for 8 hours

Dominos Pizza 80 pesos for 8 hours. Drivers get tips.

They all charge you the same in Mexico as you woud pay in the USA. As a matter of fact the menu prices fluctuate with the Dollar / Peso so at this moment you will pay 70 pesos for a hamburger and coke with fries.. almost as much for one burger as they pay their employees in one day.

The average employee for any company in Mexico earns about 50 pesos a day. It is not fair to the employees or the country. But the minimum wage is 10 pesos an hour.

Think about this.. the next time you buy a Pizza in Mexico - 200 pesos for a pizza is almost 2 1/2 days wages for the average worker. the companies should be held to a higher standard of ethics. you pay the same here as you would at home - but the workers in the USA for these companies earn $7 or $8 an hour.

So the 80 pesos a day is about $6.50 per day?

So the 80 pesos a day is about $6.50 per day?

At this very moment it would be ... $5.83 USD.

Sick isn't it. But it is a harsh reality. Here is another bad scenerio.. most people do not have cars. Therefore they have to take public transportation to and from work. Many people live pretty far - Col. Coloso is almost an hour drive by public transportation. You have two choices - Collectivo taxi for 12 pesos or a bus for 6 pesos. Sometimes more than one is needed. Then you have to go home.. You worked all day for about $3.50 US and got a free meal.

It is a really sick reality. And the funny thing is - no one is complaining. They just do it. Want to make friends? TIP & TIP SOME MORE. They need it.

Think about what you have read here when you visit Wal Mart. No wonder there is a drug war in Mexico. People need money and the conglomerates are not helping anyone except the stock holder.

Geez. I did not realize that Cruise Critic was now a political forum. The last time I checked nobody was forcing anyone to work in Walmart. As to Mexico, Walmart and low wages are not even the major problem, which is a corrupt government, corrupt police, etc. As to the drug war in Mexico, the only reason there is a drug war in Mexico is because Americans buy the drugs! Shoot all the drug addicts and drug pushers in the USA and the problem will quickly end in Mexico.

Hank

At this very moment it would be ... $5.83 USD.

Sick isn't it. But it is a harsh reality. Here is another bad scenerio.. most people do not have cars. Therefore they have to take public transportation to and from work. Many people live pretty far - Col. Coloso is almost an hour drive by public transportation. You have two choices - Collectivo taxi for 12 pesos or a bus for 6 pesos. Sometimes more than one is needed. Then you have to go home.. You worked all day for about $3.50 US and got a free meal.

It is a really sick reality. And the funny thing is - no one is complaining. They just do it. Want to make friends? TIP & TIP SOME MORE. They need it.

Think about what you have read here when you visit Wal Mart. No wonder there is a drug war in Mexico. People need money and the conglomerates are not helping anyone except the stock holder.

Yes. Wal Mart pays good if you are a slave and have no choices. The fact is, people are forced to work in these jobs because there is no alternative. I think if people were treated and paid fairly there would be less of a desire to be criminal.

As far as drugs.. To each his own. Drugs will always be available and have been since the dawn of time. A week ago Mexico decriminalized almost all drugs in small quantities. Many people like drugs - many people love Amsterdam.

I am very liberal. and I do not agree with the above comment about the Mexican Government being "Corrupt" it is simply "Different".

Sticking to the topic.. Why use Wal Mart.. I guess my answer is a question. Why Not use Wal Mart? And buy drugs too. The drug dealers pay the workers better. :confused:

Yes. Wal Mart pays good if you are a slave and have no choices. The fact is, people are forced to work in these jobs because there is no alternative. I think if people were treated and paid fairly there would be less of a desire to be criminal.

As far as drugs.. To each his own. Drugs will always be available and have been since the dawn of time. A week ago Mexico decriminalized almost all drugs in small quantities. Many people like drugs - many people love Amsterdam.

I am very liberal. and I do not agree with the above comment about the Mexican Government being "Corrupt" it is simply "Different".

Sticking to the topic.. Why use Wal Mart.. I guess my answer is a question. Why Not use Wal Mart? And buy drugs too. The drug dealers pay the workers better. :confused:

The government, the cops, and most of the government employes. YES they are. NOT all but most. Its all about the MONEY.

Have you ever spent any time down there other than the nice places that are keep up for our benefit??? Tourist get a special look in most places.

I could sort of tell you are a liberal.

The government, the cops, and most of the government employes. YES they are. NOT all but most. Its all about the MONEY.

Have you ever spent any time down there other than the nice places that are keep up for our benefit??? Tourist get a special look in most places.

I could sort of tell you are a liberal.

I know Mexico intiately. I have seen places in Mexico that you will only imagine. Places you could not imagine. Corruption exists in all governments.

At one time I would agree and say - yes .. it is corrupt. Now I can only say "It is different".

Different is not all bad. It is not all good. It is just different - And Mexico is a great place with fantastic people.

I know Mexico intiately. I have seen places in Mexico that you will only imagine. Places you could not imagine. Corruption exists in all governments.

At one time I would agree and say - yes .. it is corrupt. Now I can only say "It is different".

Different is not all bad. It is not all good. It is just different - And Mexico is a great place with fantastic people.

We love Mexico and live there several months a year. But, as I said, the country's government and police have a major corruption problem. The current President does seem to be trying to improve the situation (unlike President Fox) but the corruption seems to be a part of the culture and will be there long after El Presidente is gone. You want to call this "different"....tis ok, but tis the way it is!

We love Mexico and live there several months a year. But, as I said, the country's government and police have a major corruption problem. The current President does seem to be trying to improve the situation (unlike President Fox) but the corruption seems to be a part of the culture and will be there long after El Presidente is gone. You want to call this "different"....tis ok, but tis the way it is!

I am all for different.. Fox was a good president. So is Calderon. So there is some corruption.. so what. It makes it a better place to visit. Sounds like a contradiction - But is true.

Is Wal Mart not corrupt for basing prices on the American dollar and paying less than $1 US ? People, corporations, governments always exploit situations for the betterment of itself.. This is life...

Vive la différence.

I am all for different.. Fox was a good president. So is Calderon. So there is some corruption.. so what. It makes it a better place to visit. Sounds like a contradiction - But is true.

Is Wal Mart not corrupt for basing prices on the American dollar and paying less than $1 US ? People, corporations, governments always exploit situations for the betterment of itself.. This is life...

Vive la différence.

You have a strange defination of that word. Wal-Mart says we have some jobs. We will pay you more than the other places around here. SO the people chose to work there. No force. No threats. Just jobs that pay better than other jobs in the area.

BUT you say they should pay by US wage standards. Why should they be the only ones who are subject to that standard? BUT OK let's say they pay by US standards. I guess then they would have to charge US prices and THEN...... all their customers would quit going there because the prices are too high and Wal-mart closes their doors and all of the employees are out of work so they go north and cross the border tto find high paying jobs in the US. OK I am sure I made a lot of stupid errors in my logic..... PLEASE straighten me out.

• Haha 1

This is all very interesting. Does Wal-Mart also sell the off-price prescription drugs that you seem to be able to buy most anywhere, without prescription?

Yes, even things that require a prescription in the USA. I went to WalMart because my SIL wanted me to get some Retin-A or whatever it is. Got two tubes for her and to this day (2 years later) have never had the charge show up on my AMEX card (lol). They must be a lot cheaper because she wouldn't ask me if it weren't as I had gotten them before for her in Nuevo Larado.

Also needed some hair spray (those travel sizes don't last hardly a week) and some soda.

Tucker in Texas

you haven't been reading this topic..

Wal Mart Does charge the same in Mexico as they do in the USA.

On many items they charge considerably more. They base their prices on the US Dollar.

Retin - A is made in Mexico. All products produced in Mexico are cheap for the company to buy. Retin - A is 250 pesos for a tube. In the USA it is $20.

Do the math. No real savings.

You pay as much if not more for most items with the exception of goods manufactured in Mexico. A jar of spaghetti sauce will cost you nearly $5 US. compared to $3 in the USA.

Are people forced to work there - not at gun point no. Out of necessity to avoid certain death from starvation - yes. Since they are charging the same or more for items - they should pay a fair wage.

Can You Live on $5 a Day? You could not afford that wonderful jar of Prego Spaghetti sauce.

I purchase a couple bottles of wine and DW buys several tubes of Retin-A at Walmart which is a fun thing to do in PV.

Normally, I don't like to change the thread topic but CC is not a political agenda nor shopping for medication.

A previous poster is incorrect about the price of Retin-A. DW pays around $12 a tube from Mexico; pharmacies in the USA charge about $70.

• Like 1