drinking age...

MJShore

how do the bartenders know if a person asking for a drink is 21 or over? do they use the ship ID or drivers license?

Your age and or picture is not on your Sail and Sign card, you have to have a photo ID.

does anyone know for sure if the ship id card has the age programmed in?

It depends which ship you sail. Most of the newer ships have the system with the birth date embedded in the card, most of the older ships do not. Heck...a few of the older ships still have separate room keys.

It's definitely programmed on your card. I've been carded in the past on Carnival, but it's rare (and I look young enough that carding is justifiable). I've noticed that on Carnival, if one orders an alcoholic drink and there is question as to age they will typically swipe the card to produce the check BEFORE they make the drink... reason is obvious, age comes up.

I happen to like that system. I would find being carded every time I order an alcoholic beverage on a cruise highly obnoxious. I have no problem with them swiping my card and producing my check before they mix my drink.

I apologize now for this, but I need to get a message to ChiGirlCruzin!!!

ChiGirl--PLEASE emailed me at crackedhalo@hotmail.com so I can get the DVD of the hairy chest to you. It was returned to me for a address problem. I need to get it again so you can see you and your mom judging the contest....The darn package floated around for a good 8 weeks before making it back to me as undeliverable!!!!

Thanks!

We just took our first Carnival cruise on the Triumph and I was surprised at them asking for photo IDs on top of the S&S card in the disco. On other cruise lines your ship's pass is all has ever been required so we were unprepared. My kids didn't bring their drivers licenses and their Passports were in the room safe.

I remember seeing "hole punches" on RCCL for underage passengers - don't remember seeing that on any of my three Carnival cruises.

Yes, first time we cruised on RCCL we didn't realize it would be a problem when we hole punched all of our ship cards so we could put them on lanyards, lol.:eek: Won't do that again!

how do the bartenders know if a person asking for a drink is 21 or over? do they use the ship ID or drivers license?

Good question. I read the other posters' responses, however, when I was on the Victory in December 2007, we were in the piano bar almost every night (we are in our late thirties), and there was a small group of teenagers--15 and 16 yr olds who were not concealing this fact--ordering drinks and being served. My main gripe was that we had to put up with their childish silliness in what I felt was an adult arena. I kept hoping security or some other staff member would boot them, but no such luck.

At one time I was sure that very few chances for underage drink purchases existed on cruises.

But.... we sailed the Conquest last month and I did see a few that I knew were underage proudly drinking beer.

I really wonder how the wait staff gets the card to go through at the register? Even the waitresses that take orders in the piano bar need to return to a computer terminal and process the card for purchase.

I also watched as in both the captains party and past guest party the wait staff offered my daughter drinks from the trays. She's 19...

What I did observe were parents buying beer in buckets and sharing with their kids. These were people from our group or those we had met at dinner or on excursions.

While not casting blame, pointing fingers, etc I did want to report what I saw.

Oh... and the 19 year old college kid is being recruited by the FBI for accounting, she's not going to ruin a career for a bad whiskey sour watching a DVD of the Carnival fleet :)

At one time I was sure that very few chances for underage drink purchases existed on cruises.

But.... we sailed the Conquest last month and I did see a few that I knew were underage proudly drinking beer.

I really wonder how the wait staff gets the card to go through at the register? Even the waitresses that take orders in the piano bar need to return to a computer terminal and process the card for purchase.

I also watched as in both the captains party and past guest party the wait staff offered my daughter drinks from the trays. She's 19...

What I did observe were parents buying beer in buckets and sharing with their kids. These were people from our group or those we had met at dinner or on excursions.

While not casting blame, pointing fingers, etc I did want to report what I saw.

Oh... and the 19 year old college kid is being recruited by the FBI for accounting, she's not going to ruin a career for a bad whiskey sour watching a DVD of the Carnival fleet :)

The FBI generally doesn't care about underage drinking, they're more concerned with illegal drug use, and they've even relaxed that lately. Truth of the matter is, if your kid wants to drink they'll find a way to get ahold of booze -- that's just the way it is, be it on land or on sea. The will-nilly boozefest that is the Captain's Reception is disturbing though.

The FBI generally doesn't care about underage drinking, they're more concerned with illegal drug use, and they've even relaxed that lately.

Good to know, but she also signed a contract to get a new FJ Cruiser for graduation :) Add in a 30K a year university and she's in for the strict guidelines. She spent some time with law enforcement over the holidays that included a few task force traffic stops. She saw it all!

At 50 and involved with youth groups at our church I know the drill. Just 31 years ago I was 19!

My son is in Naval intelligence( I know an oxymoron) and he doesn't drink. He joined the reserves when he was 17 and in unform (he wears it on formal night because I like it) he is always offered drinks on the ship. He just says no thank you and if they are offered by a fellow cruiser he just gets a virgin frozen lemonade. My daughter on the other hand is 24 and she still gets carded in the captain's party and pg party. She get's tired of having to carry her ID with her all the time in addition to her S&S card. Cindy

Archived