Where to stay in Galveston?

wildcats82

We, (Me, husband, my sister and her husband), are leaving Sept 13 on Conquest. We are flying down the day before we leave and I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere nice, but not too expensive to stay in Galveston. We won't have a car, so I was hoping to find something close to the port. Also when you fly down early how do you usually get to the ship, shuttle, taxi etc.? I've been online today researching hotels, but it just gets me confused. I would be greatful for any suggestions. Thanks:D

We, (Me, husband, my sister and her husband), are leaving Sept 13 on Conquest. We are flying down the day before we leave and I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere nice, but not too expensive to stay in Galveston. We won't have a car, so I was hoping to find something close to the port. Also when you fly down early how do you usually get to the ship, shuttle, taxi etc.? I've been online today researching hotels, but it just gets me confused. I would be greatful for any suggestions. Thanks:D

I believe one of the Holiday Inn's there has a shuttle that will take you to the port. Not sure which one. There is Harbour House which is right there at the pier but the price might be a factor on that one. I am not sure about the taxi's in galveston. When you call around for hotels you could ask them if there is a cab service that runs there. I am not real sure what they have up and going since the hurricane so it would be better to just call and ask. When we went in Feb. we ended up having to get a hotel in Lamarque, and drive to port because we could not find anything available or it was not reasonable. Don't wait too much longer to look into it. To give you some perspective of locations for hotels most of the hotels are on the seawall so when looking at hotels you can use that as a guide. That would be the main area for tourist. There are some just off the seawall but it should tell you on their website how far they are from area attractions. (beach)

One of the Holiday Inns is cheaper than the other, and I believe both have a shuttle. At most you will be around 5 miles from the port, too far to walk, but cant be much more than a $10 taxi ride.

Iv got a rate I got early on at Howard Johnson's for $62.99 plus taxes, around $75. Last couple of weeks they had a 15% off or $20 off or some such good special going again, don tknow if they still have it. Downside its not near the seawall, if you wanted to walk on the beach area and dont have a car with you. Upside, its fairly new, and I hear not a bad place to stay. Iv driven by it to look but havent stayed there yet. They do have a free breakfast which is why I booked it. So, we can eat before we board the ship.

Harbor House will be about $185 and sometimes has a 2 night minimum unless you go thru hotels.com or some such.... but you can walk over and watch your ship sail in. Its a special historical hotel, but expensive.

We vacationed in Galveston last year before Ike hit and stayed at The Escapes condos, though that wouldn't help you. Most of the hotels on the Sea Wall offered shuttle service and a great resource for hotels on the island is galveston.com They also have money saving coupons for hotels and other attractions there as well.

This is the cheapest I found for your dates with cruise transportation included (35.00 savings) is:

Holiday Inn 5002 Seawall, 2 rooms comes to 300.00 + tax.

Hilton, only one on Seawall, approx 300.00 + tax.

If you choose a hotel without cruise transportation, add about 35.00 total for the 4 of you in one taxi.

I disagree with the above poster, very few hotels offer shuttle service. All have taxi's readily available or you can go to the front desk and they will be more than happy to call one for you.

Quality Inn is nice with free breakfast, Best Western is ok with free breakfast, Commodore is fine also....Best bet is to go to Galveston.com and put in your dates and see what all they have to offer.

Ask away if we can be of any more help. Also, great restaurant, inexpensive, great pre-cruise atmosphere and awesome food is "The Spot", don't let the bikers scare you off, they are fun! This is our not to miss stop in Galveston!

Holiday Inn Resort5002 Seawall Blvd Galveston TX 77551

Families will appreciate Holiday Inn Resort, where youngsters under 19 stay free when sharing accommodations with parents.

Each beautifully-decorated room features a private balcony, offering a spectacular view of the Gulf of Mexico. Rooms with 2 Double beds or 1 King make this property one of the Island's finest for business gatherings, re ... more

Checking In Saturday, September 12, 2009 / Checking Out Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sep 12 Gulf View King Private Balcony$169.00 Gulf View Two Queen Private Balcony$169.00 King$149.00 Two Queen$149.00 blank.gifbooknowoverwhite_up.gifAvailable Extras and Add-ons: 'Cruise Parking & Transportation'

We booked our hotel using hotwire and got a good deal at the Baymont Inn and Suites. We are just going to get a taxi to the pier if its not within walking distance.

We are also arriving a day early into Houston Hobby and we just booked a towncar from the airport to our hotel. I made the reservation with Z Limousine and the total was $118 one way. We plan to just take the cruise shuttle back to the airport afterwards as we have a late flight. Search this board "IAH to Galveston", its a thread I started looking for this information and someone posted some good information. I then realized that we are flying into HOU but it didnt matter. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
There is also a Holiday Inn Sunspree that you can find on www.ichotels.com

The Sunspree is not to be confused with the Holiday Inn Beachfront Resort

I just made reservations at the Sunspree for one night pre-cruise in March. Anyone have any experience with this hotel? Shuttle service to pier?

• 2 weeks later...
I just made reservations at the Sunspree for one night pre-cruise in March. Anyone have any experience with this hotel? Shuttle service to pier?

Ah, the Sunspree...one of my favorite places to stay on Galveston Island. Love the view from the balconies of the rooms...the highest floors have the best views. Their swim-up bar is cool too.

Currently they do not offer shuttle service to the cruise ship terminal; I just called the front desk and "Jeff" estimates taxi fare from the Sunspree to the terminal to be around $20.00, give or take.

The Sunspree does offer cruise parking...$20 for up to 7 days if you stay at least one night pre-cruise.

No free breakfast, but in my experience the room service breakfast is very good and costs no more than, say, Denny's or the like.

Hope this helps!

Ah, the Sunspree...one of my favorite places to stay on Galveston Island. Love the view from the balconies of the rooms...the highest floors have the best views. Their swim-up bar is cool too.

Currently they do not offer shuttle service to the cruise ship terminal; I just called the front desk and "Jeff" estimates taxi fare from the Sunspree to the terminal to be around $20.00, give or take.

The Sunspree does offer cruise parking...$20 for up to 7 days if you stay at least one night pre-cruise.

No free breakfast, but in my experience the room service breakfast is very good and costs no more than, say, Denny's or the like.

Hope this helps!

Thank-you, yes this does help. Most of the reviews I've read of the SunSpree have been positive, but I've read a few negative comments, and it's hard to know what to believe when you've never seen a hotel.

Thanks again,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I am cruising out of Galveston on Sunday 1-10-10. We want to arrive on Friday night and stay two nights in Galveston prior to our cruise. I read a previous post about booking the Galvez on Priceline, so I decided to try it. I went through the "name your own price " area and asked for a 3 1/2+ star hotel, expecting to get the Galvez. My first bid was for $75.00/night for 2 nights and it was accepted, but I got the Tremont House instead of the Galvez. I'm kind of excited about it as we have never stayed anywhere except on the seawall. Since it's January, we won't be spending much time on the beach anyway. The Tremont gives you access to the Galvez's pool and you can also park your car at the Galvez during your cruise for free.

The Galvez's shuttle will take you to the port.

The only negative is that the Tremont has no self parking. Valet parking is $14/day during your stay, but you can try to park on the street. Since I got such a great deal on the room, we will probably valet park.

I was very surprised that we got our room for such a great rate. The Tremont just reopened in June after repairs from Hurricane Ike were completed.

• 2 months later...
I just made reservations at the Sunspree for one night pre-cruise in March. Anyone have any experience with this hotel?

I've made the same for 2 nights pre-cruise in April.

I've never been to Galveston but I've liked the pictures of the hotel pool and pool bar on the internet!!

Do you know how's the weather generally like early April?

Will we have a chance to use the pool or even bath in the sea?

Please, excuse my ignorance, I'm from Europe :D

Toonye

I need info on the Tremont House please, do they provide cruise parking? Shuttle? How far to the pier. Best place to eat within walking distance.

Thanks

The Tremont is a beautiful historic hotel. The pier is only a few blocks away.

Restaurants in walking distance are: Rudy and Paco's (5 star, white table cloth), Sky Bar (sushi), Saltwater Grill (Mediterranean), Luigi's (Italian), Olympia at Pier 21 (Greek), Fisherman's Wharf and Willie G's (both seafood), Gumbo Bar, Courtyard Cafe (European) Stork Club, Pressbox, Eatcetera (these are casual American). Menus are listed on Galveston.com

I've made the same for 2 nights pre-cruise in April.

I've never been to Galveston but I've liked the pictures of the hotel pool and pool bar on the internet!!

Do you know how's the weather generally like early April?

Will we have a chance to use the pool or even bath in the sea?

Please, excuse my ignorance, I'm from Europe :D

Toonye

Weather can be 50's to 80's. The gulf water is typically 65 to high 80's, but only warms up once night temperatures are above 65. Hot weather usually arrives by the first of May.

Have not stayed at the Sunspree as we live here, but have been to the bar. Nice hotel right on the seawall.

May I highly recommend that you book through Priceline to get one of the 4 star hotels for a really good price. You would be surprised at how much cheaper the rate will be. They should all provide shuttles to the cruise terminal. One of our friends ended up with the Galvez at $80 per nite.

I too used Priceline and bid 78.00 and got the Tremont House for ---Friday and Sat---Jan 15 and 16th----I will have to look into using the Galvez shuttle to the port----I couldn't make up my mind on what hotel to book----several other cruise friends are going and are staying at different hotels-------

Cheers

April

I too used Priceline and bid 78.00 and got the Tremont House for ---Friday and Sat---Jan 15 and 16th----I will have to look into using the Galvez shuttle to the port----I couldn't make up my mind on what hotel to book----several other cruise friends are going and are staying at different hotels-------

Cheers

April

Hi there. We stayed at the Treemont the night of Nov. 7 pre-cruise. The Treemont has a brand new shuttle and will get you to the port. By the way, the Treemont is beautiful! We stayed there with our 3 children, we had 2 rooms and it was wonderful. We could see our ship in port from the windows in our rooms the morning of the cruise. Have fun and enjoy!

Archived