why funship dollars

don24

[quote name='yst347']
lovejake called into question my listening skills, fare enough. [B]he mentioned paying cash for his new automobile. lovejake made no mention of preloading his account with the dealer before buying his car.[/B] .[/quote]

Good point!

[quote name='arpie05']Think of it like taxes. Do you prefer to get money back in April or pay? Most people prefer to not owe any money in April so they have extra money withheld from their check - JUST like buying Funship Dollars. They apply it toward their bill. Then hopefully at the end of the cruise they won't owe a lot more than they put in.
Yes it is like giving them money, interest free - just like you do the government when you get money back in your taxes. :)[/quote]

I prefer to break even at tax time:)

[quote name='2PinaColadas']I start buying Funship Dollars soon after I make my final payment. I think they're great. [B]Personally, I love having about $600 to $700 OBC when I go on a cruise. Drinks, tips, pictures, whatever else is paid for before I ever step foot on the ship. But to each his own[/B]...[/quote]

But you paid $600 to $700 for that obc.......didn't you have that cash before you ever stepped foot on that ship:confused:

This is what makes for difference in people- I like to pre-pay as much as possible, so there is little or no big bill at the end. So I pre-pay cruise months in advance, pre-buy drink coupons because they kept cost down and include tips, and also buy OBC or fun ship dollars, because if not used then Carnival issued refund check at the end of cruise. Julie

[quote name='rcrx']Could you please tell me where a "HIGH YIELD" savings account is this day and age..unless you are planning on spending 25K..cant really see how exactly you are going to earn on a 1000 or less....'HIGH YIELD" is an oxymoron this day and age!![/QUOTE]

You can earn upwards of 5% in fully FDIC-insured free checking accounts and savings accounts with various online banks.

Hey, $50 is $50. :)

I'm not saying anyone else should do this, nor am I being sanctimonious. I'm simply pointing out that it's not fiscally ideal to send an interest-free loan to Carnival rather than put it into your own interest-bearing account.

I like them, I buy them ahead of time (online) and have them placed as a OBC.
Why do others try and discourage people from buying them? That has always baffled me...
And there are some people on here that just like to make a person feel stupid for buying the Fun Ship dollars..

[quote name='Kurbanfan']That one always boggled my brain........makes no sense to me either;)[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter if it makes sense to you or not...if it makes sense to the person buying them, that's all that matters...right?

[quote name='loveJake']You just don't listen to what people, who use fun ship dollars are telling you. Just because you don't want to use them that makes it wrong. [B]I go to the fun ship dollar form on line, enter my amount, put your cabin number in instead of address and it is added to your account. No mailing or turning in. As simple as paying your bill when your vacation is over. [/B] And no I do not have trouble saving my money either, I just bought a 2009 car and paid cash for it, by saving ahead of time.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bazarr2']That is how I do it, no hoop jumping involved. :p[/QUOTE]

Bingo to both responses!! That's what I do too...buy them and have them placed as a OBC on line...no mailing, no taking them to the pursers desk...just a OBC..
Oh ya.....NO HOOP JUMPING! :cool:

[quote name='neverpar']Doesn't matter if it makes sense to you or not...if it makes sense to the person buying them, that's all that matters...right?[/quote]

Just trying to find the logic just like the op;) Afterall that was his question....right?

[quote name='gtalum']You can earn upwards of 5% in fully FDIC-insured free checking accounts and savings accounts with various online banks.

Hey, $50 is $50. :)

I'm not saying anyone else should do this, nor am I being sanctimonious. I'm simply pointing out that it's not fiscally ideal to send an interest-free loan to Carnival rather than put it into your own interest-bearing account.[/quote]
The interest lost would be closer to 10 or 12 dollars if you buy your funship dollars after final payment and I don't think many would be buying a $1000 worth.

[quote name='loveJake']I go to the fun ship dollar form on line, enter my amount, put your cabin number in instead of address and it is added to your account. No mailing or turning in. As simple as paying your bill when your vacation is over. [/quote]

There has to be more to it than that. "Entering the amount" doesn't add $$$ to your account! How does the money get there? If you're putting it on a credit card, why not just pay the credit card bill after the trip?

[quote name='Kurbanfan']Just trying to find the logic just like the op;) Afterall that was his question....right?[/QUOTE]

You're always trying to "find the logic" whenever this subject comes up.......it doesn't matter if it's logical to you or the OP...if it is to other people..so be it.

[quote name='neverpar']You're always trying to "find the logic" whenever this subject comes up.......it doesn't matter if it's logical to you or the OP...if it is to other people..so be it.[/quote]

Good lord find someone else to harp on.......or better yet start your own thread:rolleyes:

I'm the op .im sorry if i got you all mad ,i was only trying to see if there was an angle i wasn't perceiving buying funships. i really wasn't trying to start a fight between you .can we have a group hug.

*hugs* don

Don't worry- I think your post was clear that you were really trying to figure out if you were missing something. Others turned it into a little more, but that tends to be par for course on this board these days, so it isn't your fault. ;)

It all boils down to personal preference, just like prepaid gratuities.

For a bunch of people that love cruising, we (collectively as a board) sure seem like we need to learn how to relax, huh? :rolleyes:

[SIZE=4][COLOR=magenta]Interest bearing, online banking, I don't think so. Unless I can see the big sign that says bank behind the name as I drive by, I would never ever have an online banking system not even for the $50 on $1000. I would just as soon give the money to Cqrnival to hold and perhaps I would win more than that interest. Like the $1200 we won last year. Just sayin!:D[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Perfect Stranger']There has to be more to it than that. "Entering the amount" doesn't add $$$ to your account! How does the money get there? If you're putting it on a credit card, why not just pay the credit card bill after the trip?[/quote]

Yes it is that simple. The fun ship dollar amount are there you just check the box, enter on board credit in the comment box, name, cabin number instead of address and sail date. You get a e-mail telling you the amount is a onboard credit and will appear on your docs 2 weeks before sailing. Don't use a credit card, use my debit card. For me the main reason is no trips to the purser desk to put cash on account and don't have to carry it while traveling. Sad enough leaving the ship on the last day, don't want to look at a bill and really don't want to look at a bill a month after I return.

[quote name='Name Of The Game']I do have the discipline and I'm younger than most of you here. :D[/QUOTE]

Youth has nothing to do with it. It is a part of your make up. I'm not good at saving. If I have an extra $50 bucks, I'll buy something extra for my grandchild, pick up something funky little thing for my daughter, give extra to the next office collection. Its who I am.. but I since I know my spending habits, funship dollars work for me. I like my vacation to be prepaid before I get on the ship.

[COLOR=darkred]Had initially chosen to not post on this thread, as I thought there could be not benefit in doing so, but I've changed my mind. If I can keep another passenger (and [I]Cruise Critic[/I] member) from going through the same experience I had today, well, then there [B]is[/B] a possible benefit for [U]them[/U].[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]Here goes[B] . . .[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]Did my usual acquisition of some FunShip Dollars for use on an upcoming sailing. I took care of those online, and there was a glitch with one last month. They initially claimed I was confused about the amount, but after I gave them the order numbers, and offered to fax the printed receipts, they suddenly decided, "Oh, here it is". Had I not kept my confirmation numbers, there would have been an issue I might have trouble proving in my favor.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]I still had two (2) certificates for $25 each that were not used on earlier sailings, and I decided to mail those in. It was the first time I'd ever done so, as I normally handle it with Purser/Guest Relations. Filled out the forms, photocopied both sides for my records, packaged them up and mailed with USPS tracking. Delivery Confirmation appeared on usps.com two days later. This morning I noticed that only one of the certificates had been applied, and called Special Programs & Promotions to inquire about the possibility of an error. The call (mostly on hold) took more than a half hour, and they eventually said that Vilma was away from her desk, and she would have to research it. She was in a meeting, and I was told no one else could/would assist. I gave the tracking number, both certificate numbers, and offered to fax the photocopies. I reminded that both were in same envelope and stapled together in one corner (at an angle so it would be obvious there were multiples), so if one is posted, there is no chance the other was not received. I was surprised to hear that they would check on it, and give me a call later, but that there was no proof that more than one was in my shipment, despite having the tracking. So I suggested they research the certificate number to see they were purchased in my name, to be applied to a sailing in my name, and that they'd not been redeemed. That totally went over the z lady's head.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]Had a message on my home phone when I got in (from Gloria P) saying there was no second certificate found and that the tracking would only verify the certificate they did post. Their office was closed, but I left a 'message' back for her as well. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]So, my suggestion to those[B][COLOR=blue]**[/COLOR][/B] who continue to utilize the FunShip Dollars: [B]Only[/B] do the online method that does [B]not[/B] involve you receiving anything to manually deal with. And [B]if[/B] you have some of the physical certificates, carry them onboard with you and do [B]not[/B] mail them.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#8b0000]My conversation today with the Miami office, like many before it, tells [B]so[/B] much about the quality of some corporate training. What plays in my favor it that every single one of them, since late 2006, have been recorded, so there are no 'He Said/She Said' issues.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#8b0000][B][COLOR=blue]**[/COLOR][/B] I'm [B]no[/B] [B]longer[/B] one of 'those'. I'm now officially done with the FunShip Dollars program, and the doofus goobers who run it.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]

[quote name='loveJake']Yes it is that simple. The fun ship dollar amount are there you just check the box, enter on board credit in the comment box, name, cabin number instead of address and sail date. You get a e-mail telling you the amount is a onboard credit and will appear on your docs 2 weeks before sailing. Don't use a credit card,[B] use my debit card.[/B] [B]For me the main reason is no trips to the purser desk to put cash on account and don't have to carry it while traveling[/B]. Sad enough leaving the ship on the last day, don't want to look at a bill and really don't want to look at a bill a month after I return.[/quote]

You can do the same thing by using your debit card to set up your on board account.........

[quote name='CENT']So you can carry them on the ship to use them?[/quote]

You can carry them on or just buy them from the site and have them add them as OBC.

[URL]http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=giftcertificates&pid=FSD[/URL]

Fill in name
Address line 1. boarding #

Address line 2. cabin #

fill in city, state, zip.
It will go directly into OBC
You will receive email from Carnival telling you that is what they will do.

This is my email from Carnival.

Thank you for your Gift Certificate order. Your order will be applied as On-board Credit.

Please allow 3 business days for this to be applied. If you have any questions please contact Special Programs at 1-800-906-7603. Please reference the order number in the subject line of this e-mail

[quote name='loveJake']Yes it is that simple. The fun ship dollar amount are there you just check the box, enter on board credit in the comment box, name, cabin number instead of address and sail date. You get a e-mail telling you the amount is a onboard credit and will appear on your docs 2 weeks before sailing. Don't use a credit card, use my debit card. For me the main reason is no trips to the purser desk to put cash on account and don't have to carry it while traveling. Sad enough leaving the ship on the last day, don't want to look at a bill and really don't want to look at a bill a month after I return.[/quote]

OK, I had to read this twice because you still made it seem as though you just enter an amount and the credit magically appears. Heck I'll fill in $10,000 then. :rolleyes: Seriously, I know that's not the case so then I saw that you use your debit card. That's what I was trying to say the first time. You're paying for it somehow whether by check, credit card or debit card. I don't know why some have no problem doing that ahead of time and then seemingly get excited when they see that OBC as if it's free. Why is that easier or more fun than paying the credit card bill a few weeks after the cruise? If you had an emergency and wanted to cancel your cruise you'd wish you had that money in the bank rather than it being in Carnival's hands.

please explain to me why some people here on CC get so bent out of shape when others do not do something the same way that they do it. Have they not heard the saying "there is more than one way to skin a cat"...and because they do it in another way does not make either of you wrong or right. To want to place your money in Fun Ship dollars so you have pre-paid for your cruise is ones own choice..........so all the negative people please back off.

Archived