why funship dollars

don24

[quote name='yst347']That's a bit of a straw dog Handsome. No one has said using or not using Funship dollars is either wrong or right. I can't figure out why users are so touchy when asked why they use them?[/quote]

Seriously? Did you not read the post immediately above handsome's? And, a couple of others in the back and forth disagreeing with the reasons people have for using them.

As I said in an earlier post, I think the OP had a sincere question and was trying to understand and get others perspective to make sure he wasn't missing some benefit. Some others have responded as if they are trying to convince those who use them not to. Who cares, really?

Personally, I haven't used them in the past but will for this cruise. I have several reasons, primarily:
1) To have things paid ahead of time, for my own personal preference, and enjoyment
2) I forgot about this one from my earlier posts- I actually get bonus points on a credit card for purchases made at carnival.com, and don't for on board purchases. So not only will I get extra points (=cash back), I will accumulate the points to get the cash before I sail, and use that money for the cruise as well.

[quote name='hotjavalex']Seriously? Did you not read the post immediately above handsome's? And, a couple of others in the back and forth disagreeing with the reasons people have for using them.

As I said in an earlier post, I think the OP had a sincere question and was trying to understand and get others perspective to make sure he wasn't missing some benefit. Some others have responded as if they are trying to convince those who use them not to. Who cares, really?

Personally, I haven't used them in the past but will for this cruise. I have several reasons, primarily:
1) To have things paid ahead of time, for my own personal preference, and enjoyment
2) I forgot about this one from my earlier posts- I actually get bonus points on a credit card for purchases made at carnival.com, and don't for on board purchases. So not only will I get extra points (=cash back), I will accumulate the points to get the cash before I sail, and use that money for the cruise as well.[/quote]

Seriously?

Some use Funship dollars and say why. Others don't use them and say why. Questions were asked to clarify one view or the other. No one claimed using them or not using them was the only right thing to do. Isn't this called a discussion? Isn't discussion the purpose of a message board? Is it odd to find subjects relevant to Carnival cruises discussed on a Carnival cruise message board.

[SIZE=1](well maybe sometimes on this particular board...geez)[/SIZE]

[quote name='bazarr2']Thats true, it would be the best way to do it. But we like to stay debt free in the time with everything going haywire with banks and credit card companys. I am doing it this way to surprise my husband when it comes time to pay the bill that there is none. That is why I am doing it. Simple.[/QUOTE]

I just wanted to tell you that you have the itinerary wrong for your Dream cruise.

It is Port Canaveral, Nassau, Sea Day etc. You have Nassau and Sea Day reversed.

[quote name='Handsome58']. . .Have they not heard the saying "there is more than one way to skin a cat". . .[/quote]

[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkred]I have the PETA folks holding on line 1. Are you available to take the call transfer[B][I]??[/I][/B][/COLOR]
:p
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
[COLOR=white].[/COLOR]

[quote name='katiel53']I just wanted to tell you that you have the itinerary wrong for your Dream cruise.

It is Port Canaveral, Nassau, Sea Day etc. You have Nassau and Sea Day reversed.[/quote]
Thanks, your right. OOPs Wishful thinking. Iwould rather have a sea day.:p

[quote name='Handsome58'][B]please explain to me why some people here on CC get so bent out of shape when others do not do something the same way that they do it. [/B]Have they not heard the saying "there is more than one way to skin a cat"...and because they do it in another way does not make either of you wrong or right. To want to place your money in Fun Ship dollars so you have pre-paid for your cruise is ones own choice..........[B]so all the negative people please back off[/B].[/quote]

Who is getting bent out of shape or negative? I think that.....well I know that I am just trying to explain that using a debit/credit card to set up your obc is easy and pain free:)

[quote name='yst347']Seriously?

Some use Funship dollars and say why. Others don't use them and say why. Questions were asked to clarify one view or the other. No one claimed using them or not using them was the only right thing to do. Isn't this called a discussion? Isn't discussion the purpose of a message board? Is it odd to find subjects relevant to Carnival cruises discussed on a Carnival cruise message board.

[SIZE=1](well maybe sometimes on this particular board...geez)[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

To me and it is my perception (which of course is my reality) some posters (maybe the OP) had a real question.. what is the benefit to funship dollars. Others seemed to make a judgement on those people they perceived to be less disciplined than they perceive themselves to be.

For me I like to [b] pretend [/b] my cruise vacation doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I generally try to pay the cruise off about 9 months ahead. Once I pay off one cruise I book another and start paying on that. I also pre-pay my tips and buy funship dollars.

I pay my credit cards in full each month and I don't want to be on my vacation worrying about how I will pay for my fun next month. If I budget in funship dollars it probably means we went out to dinner less that month or we didn't have any unexpected expenses, etc.

I never look at my funship dollars as if they were "free". I just look at them as "worry-free". A fair share of my FS dollars are gifts, so we are used to going to the purser's desk and applying them to our acct.

[quote name='cathyoo']To me and it is my perception (which of course is my reality) some posters (maybe the OP) had a real question.. what is the benefit to funship dollars. Others seemed to make a judgement on those people they perceived to be less disciplined than they perceive themselves to be.

For me I like to [B]pretend [/B]my cruise vacation doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I generally try to pay the cruise off about 9 months ahead. Once I pay off one cruise I book another and start paying on that. I also pre-pay my tips and buy funship dollars.

I pay my credit cards in full each month and I don't want to be on my vacation worrying about how I will pay for my fun next month. If I budget in funship dollars it probably means we went out to dinner less that month or we didn't have any unexpected expenses, etc.

I never look at my funship dollars as if they were "free". I just look at them as "worry-free". A fair share of my FS dollars are gifts, so we are used to going to the purser's desk and applying them to our acct.[/quote]
We are already in the middle of planning our 2011 cruise right now. Picked out the cabin, now to give someone a call on that one. :p

We've purchased Funship dollars a couple times before. It is so simple in that it is quickly done on-line, and quickly applied as on-board credits. There is no mailing of certificates, or taking them to the pursers desk, or any of that. As others have said, it is strictly a matter of personal preference. Not everyone is as fiscally responsible as some. We like having a couple few hundred dollars already on our account so that the hugemongous bill we typically generate on board is a little less at the end. The money would not earn much at all in an interest bearing account anyway. This is our preference and choice. To each his own though...

I don't understand why the Funship dollars issue always turns so ugly on here, especially when newer cruisers are often simply asking and trying to understand how it works. Many do not know about it, or know how easy it is to do. Let's answer their questions, provide the facts, and let them decide which way they prefer.

[quote name='klmorg']We've purchased Funship dollars a couple times before. It is so simple in that it is quickly done on-line, and quickly applied as on-board credits. There is no mailing of certificates, or taking them to the pursers desk, or any of that. As others have said, it is strictly a matter of personal preference. Not everyone is as fiscally responsible as some. We like having a couple few hundred dollars already on our account so that the hugemongous bill we typically generate on board is a little less at the end. The money would not earn much at all in an interest bearing account anyway. This is our preference and choice. To each his own though...

I don't understand why the Funship dollars issue always turns so ugly on here, especially when newer cruisers are often simply asking and trying to understand how it works. Many do not know about it, or know how easy it is to do.[B] Let's answer their questions, provide the facts, and let them decide which way they prefer[/B].[/quote]

In all fairness, isn't that what everyone is doing on here?

[quote name='yst347']Seriously?

[SIZE=1](well maybe sometimes on this particular board...geez)[/SIZE][/quote]

I never said it was odd or wrong for the subject to be on this board, in fact I stated twice, and this will be the third time that the OP asked a legitimate question to get insight into something he did not understand.

Yes, it is a discussion. Yes, that is the purpose of this board. Yes, the OP asked questions and some of us answered them. Some people chose to respond with why they thought it was a bad idea and we shouldn't do it.

The only part of your post I disagree with is the part that says "No one claimed..." Why you may not have, others have, and I will leave it at that.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments, and happy sailing!

[quote name='Kurbanfan']But you paid $600 to $700 for that obc.......didn't you have that cash before you ever stepped foot on that ship:confused:[/QUOTE]

Yes, but not all at once--that's why I buy them $50 or $100 at a time. I'm just a poor school teacher with a teenager about to go to college, I can't just throw out $700 at one time. I don't like using credit cards. FunShip Dollars work for us. If you don't like them don't buy them. Why is this an issue?

CC is suppose to be about advice and helping fellow cruisers. NOT about bashing others because you don't agree with them.

[quote name='2PinaColadas']Yes, but not all at once--that's why I buy them $50 or $100 at a time. I'm just a poor school teacher with a teenager about to go to college, I can't just throw out $700 at one time. I don't like using credit cards. FunShip Dollars work for us. If you don't like them don't buy them. [B]Why is this an issue? [/B]

CC is suppose to be about advice and helping fellow cruisers. [B]NOT about bashing others because you don't agree with them[/B].[quote]

Not an issue for me........who did I bash:confused: I thought we all were giving advice.......just different.....

Well, I for one have found this thread useful. I always had wondered "why?" myself, like if there was some sort of incentive to purchase them (i.e. get $5 Funship Dollars for every $50 Funship Dollars purchased or something along those lines). So, glad to know I wasn't missing something.

What happens if you have Funship Dollars left over? Do they just write you a check? Or do they remain Funship Dollars to use at a later time on another cruise?

[quote name='Bert64']Well, I for one have found this thread useful. I always had wondered "why?" myself, like if there was some sort of incentive to purchase them (i.e. get $5 Funship Dollars for every $50 Funship Dollars purchased or something along those lines). So, glad to know I wasn't missing something.

What happens if you have Funship Dollars left over? Do they just write you a check? Or do they remain Funship Dollars to use at a later time on another cruise?[/QUOTE]

You get a check for the remainder left on your sign and sail account..cash it at the Purser's desk or take it to the bank...:)

[quote name='neverpar']You get a check for the remainder left on your sign and sail account..cash it at the Purser's desk or take it to the bank...:)[/QUOTE]

HMM, that is definitely a deposit for my NEXT cruise

I have a friend, who owes me some money and asked if she could just buy me some gift certificates so she can use her credit card. I said she could just wait to pay me back but she insisted on doing this. So I had suggested gift certificates for dh & i to take another cruise. imagine that.

So anyone used the fun ship dollars like that? I'll be getting almost $1000 in fun ship dollars. Is there any down side that you are aware of for her buying gift certs. and me using them?

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Almost Packed']I have a friend, who owes me some money and asked if she could just buy me some gift certificates so she can use her credit card. I said she could just wait to pay me back but she insisted on doing this. So I had suggested gift certificates for dh & i to take another cruise. imagine that.

So anyone used the fun ship dollars like that? I'll be getting almost $1000 in fun ship dollars. Is there any down side that you are aware of for her buying gift certs. and me using them?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

oh, and no bashing needed here....to each there own....but some on this thread do wish to force their views on others...while some people just want legit info.

so to those who have actually experienced fun ship dollars, i appreciate the input.

i would think it would be like an interest free layaway program by buying the fun ship dollars a little each month. honestly, it seems like a smart way of doing it if you cannot pay for a cruise in full at that time.

[quote name='Almost Packed']i would think it would be like an interest free layaway program by buying the fun ship dollars a little each month. honestly, it seems like a smart way of doing it if you cannot pay for a cruise in full at that time.[/quote]

I don't see any downside to being repaid in this fashion. If you do not spend any of the credit you will receive a check the final night of the cruise. You can deposit the check with your bank or you can take it to the information desk and have it cashed on board.

Your statement here puzzles me though. What is so great about lending your money interest free? Isn't the idea to lend at interest?

[quote name='yst347']I don't see any downside to being repaid in this fashion. If you do not spend any of the credit you will receive a check the final night of the cruise. You can deposit the check with your bank or you can take it to the information desk and have it cashed on board.

Your statement here puzzles me though. What is so great about lending your money interest free? Isn't the idea to lend at interest?[/quote]

some prefer to keep it simple...layaway is a beautiful thing. you don't get it until it's paid full and free of interest.

others might say...why pay for a cruise on your credit card and pay interest....when you can put it on layaway for free.
the amount of interest earned isn't that much anyways...

some people don't trusts banks. my brother and his wife have no checking account. cash is king in their household. they own their home outright...paid in full with cash, his harley, paid in full with cash, their autos, paid in full with cash, taxes on their property, paid in full yearly, in cash or they buy money orders. to them, that's the way they do business. no, he's not into illegal stuff, yes he can open a checking account if he wanted to. they choose not to. are they wrong? or ignorant for not putting it in a savings? who are we to judge what's best for someone else.

[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=darkorchid]This is my 2nd cruise, my first time using Funship dollars. I split the money I save each week in half & do some funship dollars & stash the rest away for my cash. I do the funship dollars as an OBC so I don't have to worry about sending them back in or anything. I'm excited to get onboard & already have money in my account & not have to worry about carrying a lot of cash with me. [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=darkorchid]I did hear that you can call carnival customer service & have them apply cash directly to your account, no messing with Funship dollars, so I may try that this week.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=darkorchid][/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=darkorchid]68 days! Can't wait!!! :D[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Almost Packed']I have a friend, who owes me some money and asked if she could just buy me some gift certificates so she can use her credit card. I said she could just wait to pay me back but she insisted on doing this. [B]So I had suggested gift certificates[/B] for dh & i to take another cruise. imagine that.

[B]So anyone used the fun ship dollars like that[/B]? I'll be getting almost $1000 in fun ship dollars. Is there any down side that you are aware of for her buying gift certs. and me using them?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Absolutely!!! That's what funship dollars were intended for........"gift certificates".......
We receive them all the time as "gifts" and have used them towards the price of the cruise and for on board credits.....

Archived