Cinque Terre & mobility issues

Lovinlife45

We have a tour planned in Cinque Terra in October. I am hoping that someone has done the "Lover's Walk" and can give me an idea of how difficult and how long it might be.

I read this information:

. The road from Riomaggiore to Manarola is called the Via Dell'Amore (roughly, "Lovers Walk") and varies in difficulty from an easy stroll to a rough and physically challenging hike. The stretch from Manarola to Corniglia is the easiest to hike, although the main trail into Corniglia finishes with a climb of 368 stairs. The trail from Corniglia to Vernazza is steep at certain places. The trail from Vernazza to Monterosso is by far the steepest. It winds through olive orchards and vineyards and is rough in places, but offers the best view of the bay and the spectacular approaches to both Monterosso and Vernazza.

My DH and I are both in 64 and in good health but I have had two knee replacements. He is having some issues with a leg going number and diffciulty walking long distances.

Would the Lover's Walk be "doable" for us.

thanks

Char

It is tough to answer the OP without personally knowing their limitations in great detail. The "Lovers Walk" is nearly 2 miles and it has its ups and downs. For a person with no physicial limitations it is a pretty easy walk. With the knee issue it will make it much more difficult (my DW also has knee problems). Assuming you can handle the up and down grades, it is probably doable if you allow extra time to take some frequent rests along the path (they do have some benches). You do not want to start the walk unless you are having a good day since once you get on the path the only options are to get to the other end or turn back. If you run out of energy (or your leg gives out) in the middle there is no alternative transportation.

Hank

The Via dell'Amore or Pathway of Love runs from Riomaggiore (town 1) to Manarola (town 2) and is a 20-minute paved walk which runs along the coast, very flat and easy.

But I would advise strongly against your doing any of the other portions of the seven miles of paths which connect the towns along the shore. You can take the train between the towns if you want to visit the other three. There also is daily boat service through October among four of the five (excluding Corniglia, the highest up of the five).

We just spent a day in the area last month. I have no idea what 2-mile walk Hank is talking about. The hike between all five towns is seven miles. Only the first part is the Via dell'Amore.

We have a tour planned in Cinque Terra in October. I am hoping that someone has done the "Lover's Walk" and can give me an idea of how difficult and how long it might be.

I read this information:

. The road from Riomaggiore to Manarola is called the Via Dell'Amore (roughly, "Lovers Walk") and varies in difficulty from an easy stroll to a rough and physically challenging hike. The stretch from Manarola to Corniglia is the easiest to hike, although the main trail into Corniglia finishes with a climb of 368 stairs. The trail from Corniglia to Vernazza is steep at certain places. The trail from Vernazza to Monterosso is by far the steepest. It winds through olive orchards and vineyards and is rough in places, but offers the best view of the bay and the spectacular approaches to both Monterosso and Vernazza.

My DH and I are both in 64 and in good health but I have had two knee replacements. He is having some issues with a leg going number and diffciulty walking long distances.

Would the Lover's Walk be "doable" for us.

thanks

Char

I had a total hip replacement on my right side and had no problems with the Via Dell'Amore between Riomaggiore and Manarola. It's flat and paved and takes about 20min. I also managed the trail between Manarola and Corniglia without difficulty. This trail is not paved and takes about an hour. It's a little rough in spots and I used a hiking stick which helps quite a pit. When you reach the Corniglia end of the trail, which is at the train station, there is a free shuttle which runs between the station and the center of the town. From Corniglia it's very easy to continue by train, making stops at Vernazza and Monterosso. The train only takes 20 minutes to go from Riomaggiore to Manarola. So even if you do not do the hikes, you can easily visit all 5 town by train in a few hours. This video of Rick Steves gives an idea of the condition of the trails and why they are not to be missed

.:)

The Via dell'Amore or Pathway of Love runs from Riomaggiore (town 1) to Manarola (town 2) and is a 20-minute paved walk which runs along the coast, very flat and easy.

But I would advise strongly against your doing any of the other portions of the seven miles of paths which connect the towns along the shore. You can take the train between the towns if you want to visit the other three. There also is daily boat service through October among four of the five (excluding Corniglia, the highest up of the five).

We just spent a day in the area last month. I have no idea what 2-mile walk Hank is talking about. The hike between all five towns is seven miles. Only the first part is the Via dell'Amore.

Oops. Meant to type 2 Kilometers (not miles) but it is not totally flat. We have hiked the entire trail end-to-end (fun if you are staying in the region and have a day) and yes, that first "Lovers walk" is about the easiest section. But, for those with mobility issues it is anything but flat. I should have mentioned they sell a nifty daily ticket that includes unlimited use of the trains (that connect all 5 villages) as well as the admission charge to the trails.

Hank

I just came back from the CT area and we did the Via Dell'amore. We found it very easy and flat. Not having knee or walking problems is difficult to give a recommendation. However, I think the whole visit to CT is problematic for anybody that has any kind of walking disablities. How are you planning to go from town to town? I wouldnt advise to go by boat. For example, the docking area in Riomaggiore is down from the town a good number of steps not that easy to navigate if you have walking issues.

I just came back from the CT area and we did the Via Dell'amore. We found it very easy and flat. Not having knee or walking problems is difficult to give a recommendation. However, I think the whole visit to CT is problematic for anybody that has any kind of walking disablities. How are you planning to go from town to town? I wouldnt advise to go by boat. For example, the docking area in Riomaggiore is down from the town a good number of steps not that easy to navigate if you have walking issues.

We spent 4 days in C-T without a problem getting around. Best way if you have mobility problems is by train. If you can climb 1 or 2 flights of stairs just do it. :)

Wow

Such great replies - I still can't make up my mind if we should do this or not. I have this visual of being stuck in the middle now.

I actually do very well in walking even a mile or two - but and that is a big BUT uneven pavements, any kind of incline or steps are hard for me - unfortunately the knees just don't bend like the real ones. But I am thankful to be as mobile as I am and pain free.

I will ponder this is a bit and then decide.

Thanks again you were great

Char

I don't want to discourage you, but do know that simply getting around town does involve inclines, cobbles and paving stones, and many steps. These towns are built into hillsides, 4 of which begin at sea level, one on a hilltop. Where there isn't stairs, there are inclines - very little level ground. In fact, the Lovers Walk may be the most level part of the entire Cinque Terre region!

Many of the stairs are not steep (at least in the major areas - the back lanes can be VERY steep), and the inclines can be somewhat gentle, but just as in much of Europe, uneven footing is prevalent.

Wow

Such great replies - I still can't make up my mind if we should do this or not. I have this visual of being stuck in the middle now.

I actually do very well in walking even a mile or two - but and that is a big BUT uneven pavements, any kind of incline or steps are hard for me - unfortunately the knees just don't bend like the real ones. But I am thankful to be as mobile as I am and pain free.

I will ponder this is a bit and then decide.

Thanks again you were great

Char

This is my last post on the subject. I'm 67 and DW is 65 and we can't wait for the next visit to C-T. I see you are on the Ruby 10-7-09 starting in Venice. If you can handle Venice, you certainly should be able to handle the C-T. Remember that you do not have to walk the trails to enjoy the Cinque Terre. The walk along the Mediterranean in Monterosso is perfectly flat and wonderful as you walk through the tunnel from the train station to the old town. There are many places to stop for lunch or a snack. The best view is from the Town of Corniglia, which is high on the cliffs and easy to walk. There is a free shuttle there from the train station.

Cinti Pam said, "The Via dell'Amore or Pathway of Love runs from Riomaggiore (town 1) to Manarola (town 2) and is a 20-minute paved walk which runs along the coast, very flat and easy.

But I would advise strongly against your doing any of the other portions of the seven miles of paths which connect the towns along the shore. You can take the train between the towns if you want to visit the other three. There also is daily boat service through October among four of the five (excluding Corniglia, the highest up of the five)."

I totally agree! Plus, if you are only there for one day, the best way to see and enjoy the towns will be by taking the trains and boats. The walks along the paths do take a lot of time. But the area is so beautiful, even on the train you will see breath-taking views.

Don't feel like you have to see all of the towns either. Pick a couple and you will really enjoy the the time that you spend there.

Monterosso may be a good place for you to spend some time. As I recall, the town itself is more flat, and there is a beach as well.

One more thing, make sure that you wear good shoes! There are a lot of inclines in the CT.

Archived