The dreaded mustache, to wax or not to wax?

millercat

Hi Ladies,

Need your advice. I have never waxed or used any type of hair remover on my upper lip BUT, I am thinking that maybe I should. The hair is not real dark by any means but there seems to be so much of it. (I had electrolysis done years ago, I perceived it as being really noticeable then and it was much darker.)

So, do I have it waxed, wax it myself, use some type of depilatory.....or just leave it alone?

What is regrowth like? Does it come back darker and coarser?

Thanks for your help,

Laine

Hi Ladies,

Need your advice. I have never waxed or used any type of hair remover on my upper lip BUT, I am thinking that maybe I should. The hair is not real dark by any means but there seems to be so much of it. (I had electrolysis done years ago, I perceived it as being really noticeable then and it was much darker.)

So, do I have it waxed, wax it myself, use some type of depilatory.....or just leave it alone? I have mine done at the salon. Never used the home products.

What is regrowth like? My experience is that regrowth is sloooow. Does it come back darker and coarser? Mine hasn't. If anything I've noticed less.

Thanks for your help,

Laine

I never really noticed mine until I started using mineral makeup. I guess the way the makeup 'floats', it seemed to enhance the hair. It had to go!

Good Luck with your choice!

Wax! If you have never waxed it yourself go get it done. After having mine waxed for several years I just do it at home now. Wax can be your new best friend :D. If you start doing it at home the best wax I have ever used is Moom wax. I have tried so many and this is the best one I have used.

No matter HOW you remove hair, it won't grow back coarser or darker---it's the same hair all the time!

If your hair is thin, then bleaching is ok...if it's thicker, then waxing is most likely the way to go. The more you do it, the less it hurts, as it gets easier over time!

I'll just pluck strays inbetween waxings....it really doesn't matter how you yank it out!

I have my hairdresser wax - It works wonderful. The only problem I have is that I am alergic to the oil (baby?) that she uses after to get the west of the wax off. She now uses aloe.

I find it grows back slowly and is much less than it used to be. Jan

I have done all of the above for the dreaded lip hair.

Currently I'm using the Emjoi Sin Dolor Epilator .

It looks like a shaver, but works like a tweezer.

The first time I used it I thought....omg....that hurts;

however, after the first time the "maintaince" of the lip is not bad at all. Got mine @ Target for around $35.

Product Details:

The Emjoi Sin Dolor Epilator is a new, virtually painless hair-removal system that eliminates hair right from the root, leaving your skin silky smooth for up to 6 weeks. Its 21 extra-gentle tweezers make epilation quick and comfortable. The Emjoi Sin Dolor may be used on stray facial hairs on the upper lip and chin... and anywhere on the body. It features a soft-touch grip that fits comfortably in your hand, allowing for maximum control. The Emjoi Sin Dolor is compact, cordless and great for use at home or on the go.

Specifications:

• Painlessly removes hair from the root
  • 21 extra-gentle tweezers remove hair quickly and effectively
  • Enjoy smooth skin for up to 6 weeks
  • Hair re-growth is finer and less noticeable
  • Soft-touch grip fits comfortably in your hand and allows for maximum control
  • Gentle enough to remove individual hair on the upper lip and chin
  • Great for removing hair from the legs, bikini line and underarms

IMHO, sugaring is better than waxing, whether you go to a salon or do it yourself. (I recommend the salon...I've been doing my own eyebrows with a homemade recipe, but the learning process is a little scary!) Very natural and unlikely to irritate.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't just yank it all out if it bothers you. It may not be as noticable as you think, but at least it will make you feel more confident if it's gone. Since it won't hurt you, why not have that confidence?

I don't recommend depilatories...too many chemicals. I think it reacts differently to different types of hair, as well. In my youth, I tried them on my legs and it would leave big patches of hair untouched. (Fine blond hair on my legs)

Thanks ladies,

I am going to make my precruise hair appt for about 10 days before we leave and I will have the waxing done then. I think the older I get the more self conscious I am getting about little things I might not have worried about before. I see too many of my friends letting themselves go as the get older and I for one refuse to give up.

Thanks again,

Laine

Archived