BA Starts Down the Path of American Air Carriers

SelectSys

See the following link regarding the elimination of meal service on short haul flights:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/5929900/BA-axes-free-meals-from-short-haul-flights-to-save-money.html

Correction:

On some shorthaul flights at certain times of the day.

BA will still allow you to check bags for free and give you free alcohol...

Correction:

On some shorthaul flights at certain times of the day.

BA will still allow you to check bags for free and give you free alcohol...

I only said that BA was only starting down the path not that they have reached the end state. I remember when US carriers started dropping meal service at off peak times. They are on a slippery slope that once started is hard to stop.

A quote from a UK poster on Airliners.net:

"BA no longer deserves the title "The World's Favourite Airline" as WW is slowly killing off things that kept BA ahead of other airlines. However, it is changing habits of airline passengers who now want the cheapest fare rather than superior service, investors wanting a return from their money, and the recession that is forcing WW to make all the changes."

The likes of FR and U2 are changing the market just like WN did in the US and are forcing changes in the short haul airline market in Europe. It is likely that the current recession is just making these changes happen even faster as most everyone is try to save a Dollar, Pound, or Euro these days.

A case could be made that the US airlines are following European airlines. I flew Austrian Airlines more than four years ago within Europe and there were no free meals. In fact, except for coffee, every drink incurred a fee.

Not surprising as they are mostly a short haul airline within Europe anyway with not too much long haul service. I would be curious how BA's moves compare with AF and LH short haul service in Europe.

A quote from a UK poster on Airliners.net:

"BA no longer deserves the title "The World's Favourite Airline" as WW is slowly killing off things that kept BA ahead of other airlines. However, it is changing habits of airline passengers who now want the cheapest fare rather than superior service, investors wanting a return from their money, and the recession that is forcing WW to make all the changes."

The likes of FR and U2 are changing the market just like WN did in the US and are forcing changes in the short haul airline market in Europe. It is likely that the current recession is just making these changes happen even faster as most everyone is try to save a Dollar, Pound, or Euro these days.

'The World's Favourite Airline', the slogan BA dropped maybe 10years ago if not more!

If anyone has looked lately you'll see that in shorthaul economy BA compete favourably on fares against low cost carriers. I can't remember if I recalled it on here or elsewhere but I have paid less for Club Europe (on LHR-TXL-LHR) than Easyjet were asking on LTN-SXF-LTN. That's an extreme example but BA will more often than not price up the same as Easyjet on many routes. BA aren't the complete ripoff the Averages think they are.

If BA want to take away some elements of service then that's fine in the short term. As a shareholder and regular passenger I'd rather they do that than go out of business though I'd rather see those cutbacks reversed once the economic climate is a little rosier in lieu of a dividend. I know the latter is a fair while off yet.

Not surprising as they are mostly a short haul airline within Europe anyway with not too much long haul service. I would be curious how BA's moves compare with AF and LH short haul service in Europe.

I guess you haven't seen their route network lately. Granted they are not a BA or LH but certainly have a lot of long haul service.

... I'd rather they do that than go out of business though I'd rather see those cutbacks reversed once the economic climate is a little rosier ...
I think that these moves are dreadful, but I can see why they're necessary.

BA has reversed similar moves before when things have got better - a lot of the post-11 September 2001 cuts have been reversed, for example - so I hope that this will happen again.

In the meantime, I'll have another (free) drink - thanks! ;)

...As a shareholder and regular passenger I'd rather they do that than go out of business though I'd rather see those cutbacks reversed once the economic climate is a little rosier in lieu of a dividend. I know the latter is a fair while off yet.

As a shareholder I would like to see the value of the company maximized for the long haul - no pun intended - including share price and dividends. As a passenger my interests are somewhat different in terms of providing on board amenities, frequent flier benefits, and ticket prices even at the expense of shareholder return. Where the loyal passenger and the long term shareholder are definitely aligned is in terms of the health of the carrier and its survival.

I guess you haven't seen their route network lately. Granted they are not a BA or LH but certainly have a lot of long haul service.

Yes they have long haul service but as you suggest they aren't really a major player. VIE is the 19th busiest airport in Europe and the total long haul fleet for Austrian is 10 aircraft. By way of comparison LH has over 90 aircraft in their long haul fleet.

BA has reversed similar moves before when things have got better - a lot of the post-11 September 2001 cuts have been reversed, for example - so I hope that this will happen again...

As a passenger I hope you are correct.

This caught my eye, what is an "Average?"

The general public. Ask 100 people off the street in the UK and the perception of the majority will be that BA are much more expensive than Easyjet, Ryanair et. al.

Archived