Is Delphi possible

ottawa 204

We have been to Athens several times before and would like to do something different. We dock at 8a.m and leave at 6p.m. Do we have time to go to Delphi? Is it worth it? Should we arrange a driver before we go or can we pick up a taxi at the dock? We will be there Nov. 17th and I heard/read somewhere it's a national holiday for something.... All comments are appreciated.

lesley

I visited Delphi on a tour from Athens. The trip was by coach, we had a guide and lunch was part of the tour. As far as I can answer your questions, my conclusions are:

- Yes, it is possible, but it is a full day tour, so you will have enough time - just enough for some, plenty for others.

- I would go there again :) but only on a guided tour, because I like to have someone give some life to the stones/ruins.

Delphi is on one side of a pretty steep valley. That made it possible to see many former buildings from a distance. But we were not able to approach most of them for lack of time. However I saw what was important to me and I got an impression of what the site looks like.

I wish you a pleasant day in Greece.

We just did Delphi as part of our land vacation

It is possible if you left right at 8am , and had no traffic in either direction(highly unlikely)

You will need to be back on the ship at 5;30pm

Honestly, as much as I encourage private tours and exploring on your own.

I would NEVER go to Delphi with a cruise ship departing Athens at 6pm

Traffic on the outskirts of Athens getting into the city in off season was worse than rush hour traffic in SFO and LAX combined.

There is a reason why cruise ships are now porting in Itea (port for Delphi)

I know this isn't what you want to hear...I guess you will have to assess your risk taking level, but for me after just being there..I find there are to many what if's

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it's not going to be a relaxing tirp. We will probably do it another time. In the meantime any suggestions other then the Acropolis what we could do with our 1 day in Athens?

lesley

Have you visited the National Archaelogical Museum already? Incredible Mycenaean artifacts, many of beaten gold, plus lovely Akrotiri wall paintings, etc.

We spent five hours there on our port day last September. (Of course, we were disembarking the next morning, so we had additional days in Athens for the Acropolis and other five archaelogical sites on the 12-Euro combo pass.)

Last month, we spent our pre-cruise time there at the Benaki Museum (free and open until midnight on Thursdays) and the Museum of Cycladic Art.

You could also take a ferry for a few hours to Aegina. The hydrofoils are very fast.

I second the notion of Mycaenae, Epidavros, Napflion, but not sure it would be any less stressful in terms of time, Nafplion is a bit closer than Delphi, but not much. I guess you could do Corinth and Epidavros, they are both closer to Athens.

Thanks for the reply. I wonder would you recommend your guide, and if so do you have their information.

lesley

Even if you have since decided not to go to Delphi, the answer to your question is, that I took the tour with Chat Tours. I do not have any further information, but I doubt that they would do individual tours.

Archived