Is there any way to AVOID taking car seats?

2preschoolers

I have been reading many of the questions about car seats and wondering if there is any way to go on a cruise and not need a car seat! Problem is that we have TWO who'd need them - 2 1/2 yrs and 4 yrs old when we travel in January.

We'll be on Carnival - stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios. We actually do not plan to do shore excursions and were thinking (hoping) there are places to walk around and explore (shops, etc) that are right at the ports. Is this not the case? Are there any beaches right near the ship where we can just walk over or take a super short taxi ride and not need car seats? Or any way to take a bus, therefore not requiring car seats?

And if you DO bring car seats - where the heck do you store them in the cabin and while you're ON your shore excurion??

I am a stickler about car seats and having them installed properly, etc at home - but DREAD the idea of lugging along 2 car seats!!

And is the only way to get from the airport to the port (Miami) without having car seats to be by the Carnival transfer bus?

THANKS!

I didn't take car seats on five of our cruises, (I also would need 2 of them as I have twins). A week without car seats is fantastic, but it means planning ahead and giving up anything that involves car transport. I can't help you with the ports you're going to, but I went to the ports of call board here ahead of time and found places to walk or shore excursions that involved bus transportation rather than taxis - or something like a pirate boat that left from the same pier.

Best,

Mia

As for the trip from the airport to the port in Miami, we used a shuttle service that provided carseats for the trip (no extra charge). I cannot fore the life of me remember the name, other than the owner/manager's name was Steve something. I think if you did a search on the FL homeports page for shuttle service, you'll find him. He came recommended by many people on the board...that's where I got his name. Oh, and his shuttle service was relatively cheap, much cheaper than Carnivals.

The other thing to look into is an Airporter bus. I looked at the ground transportation section of the airport's website we're flying into (Vancouver) and then looked at different options. We are able to take the Airporter (big, like a Greyhound bus) to a stop right across the street from the port. You could look into public transportation options also, but they would probably take longer.

I know this does not get rid of the whole carseat problem but the 4 year old is probably big enough for the backless booster seat now. My son has been using his for awhile and his was supposed to be for kids 30+ pounds I think. They are only about $15 and for the 2 year old I have heard some people talk about some sort of traveling carseat that folds down pretty small but I am not sure about price or what brand it is so maybe do a google search.

Hi! I guess it depends on how big your kids are around the time you sail. My 3-year-old was over 30 pounds and 38 inches tall, so I went to KMart and bought a backless booster for about $16. (I made sure to check that my daughter exceeded the minimum weight and height for the seat.)

We were on an Eastern Caribbean route (Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Marteen), but we never used the car seat! The tour we took in St. Thomas was a open air tour bus with no seat belts. In St. Marteen, we took a water taxi, then walked around. However, we DID have the car seat with us whenever we went into port.

The car seat was small and lightweight, and wasn't a hassle at all. We actually brought bungee cords and just bungeed it to the stroller handle. It fit perfectly, and actually extended the stroller handle a bit so that DH could push the stroller without bending over. Sorry, I don't have a better pic, but the pink camoflauge is the booster seat attached to the stroller:

151stroller.jpg

When we were in the cabin, we just put the booster in the window sill of our OV cabin - it fit perfectly and was out of the way! And since it was cheap and not our "primary" car seat, we weren't really worried about the possibility of losing it.

As far as airlines, we drove to port, so I can't answer that question. Sorry.

will your 2.5 year old sit on an airplane without moving being all over the place? I would think about bringing a carseat for that reason only -

After todays Miami Airport news, a carseat (or other restraint) is very appropriate for the 2.5 year old and possibly the 4 year old on the plane (CARES restraint?). Many people (24 with 4 serious) were hurt due to turbulence on a flight from Brazil to Houston.

Also, another flight in April, led to a woman braking her neck.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=7391144&page=1

Just shows the need for all to be safely restrained during flight.

SAFE travels...

Safe travels!

I have been reading many of the questions about car seats and wondering if there is any way to go on a cruise and not need a car seat! Problem is that we have TWO who'd need them - 2 1/2 yrs and 4 yrs old when we travel in January.

We'll be on Carnival - stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios. We actually do not plan to do shore excursions and were thinking (hoping) there are places to walk around and explore (shops, etc) that are right at the ports. Is this not the case? Are there any beaches right near the ship where we can just walk over or take a super short taxi ride and not need car seats? Or any way to take a bus, therefore not requiring car seats?

And if you DO bring car seats - where the heck do you store them in the cabin and while you're ON your shore excurion??

I am a stickler about car seats and having them installed properly, etc at home - but DREAD the idea of lugging along 2 car seats!!

And is the only way to get from the airport to the port (Miami) without having car seats to be by the Carnival transfer bus?

THANKS!

I had our 3 year old when we went last October and though she AND my 8 year old use car seats at home, (he just has a backless booster), we did NOT take them on the cruise. Most ports have taxis that are buses or short buses and many times I had her on my lap. Most of the places we went were very close to port, too. I lap buckled her the one time we were in a regular car taxi (which is all our parents did for us when we were 3). Honestly there wasn't much traffic at all... you're on an island!

In Ochos Rios check out Sunset Jamaica Grand, we went to her sister resort, Sunset Beach, in Montego Bay and the kids 3 and 8, both had a fantastic time. It's a day pass fee, so your food, drinks, kids club, etc. are all included. It was wonderful and we'd do it again if we ever get back to Jamaica with the kids! http://www.sunsetjamaicagrande.com/lighthouse_waterslide.asp

There was a lazy river, shallow beach entry pools with fountains, amazing waterslides, many swimming areas. Also adult pools and several lovely beach areas. It makes it all really easy when traveling with kids!

I would absolutely not mess with car seats. Not for a very short ride to the resorts we went to.

• 1 month later...

Since I live in Florida and will drive to the port myself I have no intention of bringing 2 carseats for my 2 children. I guess this is another benefit of being able to drive to the port. As for the couple minute rides in the ports of call, I will have to think about options (perhaps buses rather than taxis) but there is just no way that I will be lugging 2 car seats with me.

THANKS!

In Jamaica Marva Shaw http://www.knowjamiaca.com provides car seats. Mention that Stacey sent you.

I couldnt find anyone in GC that provided car seats. I did notice that, in Coz, there was a little beach that looked within walking distance of the Freedom when we went a few weeks ago.

Ocho Rios is the only place where I'd take an excursion, and I'd book something with a bus that doesn't have seatbelts, so no way to hook up a carseat. The other ports are doable on your own. GC has shopping and such within walking distance of the tender pier.

I had our 3 year old when we went last October and though she AND my 8 year old use car seats at home, (he just has a backless booster), we did NOT take them on the cruise. Most ports have taxis that are buses or short buses and many times I had her on my lap. Most of the places we went were very close to port, too. I lap buckled her the one time we were in a regular car taxi (which is all our parents did for us when we were 3). Honestly there wasn't much traffic at all... you're on an island!

In Ochos Rios check out Sunset Jamaica Grand, we went to her sister resort, Sunset Beach, in Montego Bay and the kids 3 and 8, both had a fantastic time. It's a day pass fee, so your food, drinks, kids club, etc. are all included. It was wonderful and we'd do it again if we ever get back to Jamaica with the kids! http://www.sunsetjamaicagrande.com/lighthouse_waterslide.asp

There was a lazy river, shallow beach entry pools with fountains, amazing waterslides, many swimming areas. Also adult pools and several lovely beach areas. It makes it all really easy when traveling with kids!

I would absolutely not mess with car seats. Not for a very short ride to the resorts we went to.

Do you know how much is a daypass at sunset? Do I just call to find out?

I used to struggle with a car seat until I bought a Freedom ride-joey safe.

http://www.joey-safe.com/ This thing folds up and fits in my purse. I love it. I've used it on airplanes and in the car. I just realized that I sound like a commercial. Before anyone thinks I'm selling this product, I'm not. :) I'm just an enthusiastic owner.

I was never comfortable with my tot riding without a car seat so that wasn't an option. When we did bring a car seat with us, we stashed it in the cabin closet or on the table, in a corner, wherever we could. On excursions we'd have to lug the thing around. Which was my husbands job until I started to research other alternatives. There was another product that I read about on this board that was a stroller which converted to a carseat. You may want to look into that too.

I used to struggle with a car seat until I bought a Freedom ride-joey safe.

http://www.joey-safe.com/ This thing folds up and fits in my purse. I love it. I've used it on airplanes and in the car. I just realized that I sound like a commercial. Before anyone thinks I'm selling this product, I'm not. :) I'm just an enthusiastic owner.

Interesting, DOT approved for motor vehicles, but nothing about FAA.

I agree, car seats are a pain and two are 4x the pain. I arrange shuttles and buses now. This may be an option.

We just took our 1-1/2 year old son on a cruise without a car seat. We decided there would be no room for it in our cabin (it's a huge Britax Boulevard), so we opted against it. They aren't required for taxis, so we strapped him into a seat belt in taxis. And the car rental place in one port where we rented a car had loaner car seats.

We used the stroller most of the time and that worked just fine. One note - we took a larger stroller with us that we should have. Next time, we will take a very foldable umbrella stroller. The larger stroller didn't fold all that compactly and it took up an entire closet.

We just don't take them. FIgure the odds are in our favor. I suppose that makes us horrible parents, but my parents took me to WDW when I was three and I rode in the back of our hatchback in a laundry basket most of the way (yes, I have seen the pictures!). And I'm okay. I think....

. They aren't required for taxis, so we strapped him into a seat belt in taxis.

It depends. ;) If you are in Miami, they are required for taxis. Didn't want to get anyone caught offguard when the taxis in Miami refuse their business. :)

But I know what you meant, you meant in the foreign ports.

awaldo - you got lucky when you were younger. My parents did the same and I flew from the back of our blazer to the front and almost through the window. Guess I didn't have the same luck. ;)

Yes, I take the car seats. I bet its easier than lugging a coffin home -- just saying.

Archived