Using Australian appliances on US ship (Rhapsody)

Ausgirl

We will be cruising Australia to New Zealand, and have all Australian plugs on ipod charger, hairdryer, etc. As Rhapsody is a US ship I'm guessing the voltage is different and am wondering what I need to do for my electric appliances to work? Do I need a converter or something for each appliance, or can I plug a power strip into a converter? Australian voltage is 240 rather than the US 110.

I can only speak from my 8 Carnival cruises.

On all 8 ships that I have been on, there are different style plugs in each room.

1 plug will be the standard US type 110 outlet and the other will be the standard European 240 outlet.

There are usually no more than 1 or 2 outlets at most in each cabin. So we do bring a power cord extension outlet with us

Thanks so much for the replies. That would be great if there is 240 outlets as well, saves me worrying about converting. I'll check with the cruise line to be sure, and take along a power strip. I'll also need to check if I need an international plug as I assume Australian plug fittings may be different.

Thanks so much for the replies. That would be great if there is 240 outlets as well, saves me worrying about converting. I'll check with the cruise line to be sure, and take along a power strip. I'll also need to check if I need an international plug as I assume Australian plug fittings may be different.

The "European" plug that I remember seeing was circular with 2 round holes in it.

As Rhapsody is a US ship I'm guessing the voltage is different and am wondering what I need to do for my electric appliances to work?

Just a quick FYI -- almost no cruise ships from any major cruise lines are "US ships". They are all registered out of the country. It does sound, though, that you have solved your electricity problem:)

• 3 weeks later...
are the 110 volt outlets 3-pronged or 2 pronged?

we always take a power strip with us since the cabins usually only have 1 or max 2 outlets. Just looked at the power strip and it is a 3 prong.

So,,,,,, 3 prong it is.

We will be cruising Australia to New Zealand, and have all Australian plugs on ipod charger, hairdryer, etc. As Rhapsody is a US ship I'm guessing the voltage is different and am wondering what I need to do for my electric appliances to work? Do I need a converter or something for each appliance, or can I plug a power strip into a converter? Australian voltage is 240 rather than the US 110.

Just to add the UK 240v, so I buy a converter (maybe called a step down), however be careful of the outage (watts). Hair dryers, straightening irons etc can have an outage of more than 45w so it may blow the converter.:eek:

Archived