Bringing a MINOR - paperwork

Ilivetogo

We are about 3 weeks away from our Alaska cruise on the NCL Star. (SO excited!!)

I am bringing my 9 y/o son and my 15 y/o daughter and her 16 y/o girlfriend. I have printed out the forms that have to be signed by the other girl's family that state she's a minor and it's okay that she's with me.

There is also a letter they had to write for going into Canada - since our last names on our passports don't match.

Their family (on these documents) has mistakenly spelled my name Kristina instead of Kristine. My last name is right and everything else is right. They've gone through the hassle of getting everything notarized and ready to go.

I'm wondering if this ONE LETTER on my name is really going to cause us a hassle, or if I shouldn't even worry about it. I hate to make them do all these papers, letters and notarizing all over just for the one stupid letter.

On the flip side, I work next door to a notary (we know her) and she has offered to notarize me "fixing" the letter" if I want, but she also has the "gut" feeling that it probably wouldn't be a problem. The name matches - just the a & e are mixed.

Any feelings? Should I be worried and do the paperwork all over or just leave it?

KristinE ;)

I think I would take the offer of the lady next door to notarize the change. I know for a fact that coming back to the USA and landing in Seattle they do check the data bases and do arrest people off the ship if there is anything on the data base outstanding or if something does not match. Homeland Security has really tightened up.

I am also aware that the name not matching the passport can be a problem. All persons (including minors) must also have a passport now I believe. Even for Canada. You have done so much right why chanch a hold up at the border?.

There have been several threads about this issue on various boards here. I personally don't think that one letter in a first name that is wrong will hold you up. If it were in the last name, there might be an issue, but this is more a "typo" than an "error". I think you'll be fine with that.

Not real sure what you mean by "change", but you are 3 weeks from traveling. Why not simply redo the letter? All these "work arounds" sounds like a recipe for disaster. Why risk a possible rejection at the port and a ruined vacation of a lifetime for the kids?

It probably won't make a difference, but since you have time, I'd have them redone. Don't feel badly; they made the mistake.

Make sure you also have a medical permission letter and this child's insurance information.

Kristine,

Are you saying they misspelled your first name on the notarized permission form? The one that says who, when and where their child is going? If that is the only thing misspelled, you will be fine. For a child age 16 they may not even ask to see the letter.

You should get the form corrected. Any discrepancy (e.g. misspelled name) causes red flags to go up with the authorities particularly in this day after 9/11. You probably would be able to explain your way out of it but maybe not if you get a hard nosed authority figure. Save yourself possible grief and make sure all the names on your documents are exactly correct. A good idea would be to use middle names as well for all concerned. A minor point to most of us but not to the authorities these days.

Archived