London site suggestions please

We absolutely love London--only had 2 days at the beginning of our British Isles Cruise last May. This year we are visiting at the end of a Baltics Cruise in September for 3-1/2 days. We have visited Parliament, Buckingham Palace area, Tower of London, London Eye etc; also did a day tour to Bath, Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge. This time we have a day planned for Canterbury Cathedral, Dover and Greenwich. Another day planned for The Temple Church area. Can anyone suggest a "must see" day for us--we are staying in the Westminster area, near Victoria Station. We love historical sites, so any suggestions would really be appreciated...we like to have our days planned so as not to waste a moment. Thanks in advance.

We absolutely love London--only had 2 days at the beginning of our British Isles Cruise last May. This year we are visiting at the end of a Baltics Cruise in September for 3-1/2 days. We have visited Parliament, Buckingham Palace area, Tower of London, London Eye etc; also did a day tour to Bath, Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge. This time we have a day planned for Canterbury Cathedral, Dover and Greenwich. Another day planned for The Temple Church area. Can anyone suggest a "must see" day for us--we are staying in the Westminster area, near Victoria Station. We love historical sites, so any suggestions would really be appreciated...we like to have our days planned so as not to waste a moment. Thanks in advance.

I would look at London Walks http://www.walks.com for some really good walking tours. Every one I have taken has been interesting and fun. We usually do one or two a day. The Pub Walks are also especially nice.

I would also take in a play if you have not done so. One we really enjoyed was The 39 Steps.

Cheers

You might try for free, but limited, tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys held at the Tower of London after dark.

To echo Steamboat (hey, we skied there in February), a London Walks tour would be great. DH did a pub crawl and thoroughly enjoyed it and we plan on doing something similar next time. Plus check out the British Museum, and a play or musical for the evening.

You might try for free, but limited, tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys held at the Tower of London after dark.

To echo Steamboat (hey, we skied there in February), a London Walks tour would be great. DH did a pub crawl and thoroughly enjoyed it and we plan on doing something similar next time. Plus check out the British Museum, and a play or musical for the evening.

I live in Steamboat during the ski season.;)

If you come back next season, drop me a note and I will show you around.

Cheers

Hi --another place people forget about is Rochester in Kent - - one hr from Charing cross. Cobble streets, antiquities - Castle - cathedral - Charles Dickens - John Bunionm all have links to this fabulous City on the banks of the River Medway in the *Garden of England*

http://www.historic-uk.com/DestinationsUK/Rochester.htm

Most museums are free in London. If you like history, the Victoria and Albert Museum, the British Museum, the Imperial War Museum.

My personal favourite, the Science Museum.

Hope this helps...

The V&A is one of the quirkiest museums I have ever visited. One never knows what will be around the next corner.

I like the V&A and the British equally well but for different reasons. Sort of like my Grandmother's attic (a jumble of things) vs my Grandfather's garage (A place for everything and everything in its place). :D

Cheers

I like the V&A and the British equally well but for different reasons. Sort of like my Grandmother's attic (a jumble of things) vs my Grandfather's garage (A place for everything and everything in its place). :D

That's pretty accurate! I like it! :D

Also if you like soccer you could try to get tickets to a game, it was the highlight of London for DH. We got tickets online though the clubs website, we went to the Spurs, there are a number of clubs around London.

• 2 weeks later...
Most museums are free in London. If you like history, the Victoria and Albert Museum, the British Museum, the Imperial War Museum.

My personal favourite, the Science Museum.

Hope this helps...

The museums are good place to start and my personal favorite is the Imperial War Museum.

I thoroughly enjoyed the inside tour of Buckingham Palace last summer. The State Rooms are open to the public (the royal family is away) from July 26 through September 30 this year. It's really a treat to get inside the palace, see it set up for a State Dinner, and see the gardens. It's best to get advance tickets if you want to go. It was really cool to get 'Royal Mail' from the palace with our tickets. For more information, their website:

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=30

Archived