Gold jewelry in the Greek Isles

cherylakers

We were on the Oct 30th Celebrity Solstice and I was asking our tour guide about gold jewelry and negotiating, and she said to always carry a magnet with you. Real gold won't "stick" to the magnet, she said. I happened to have a magnetic snap on my purse, and that would've worked, but I found the gold prices to be really high - so I didn't bother.

I did purchase a beautiful heavy silver choker in Mykonos with 925 stamped on it, and I negotiated with the owner till he said ok to my price, and I paid in euros. I found I got a better deal if I offered euro cash. I also got a hand written description and guarantee of the item I purchased, along with the business card from the store.

I then purchased a matching bracelet in Santorini, again negotiating until I got my price, paid in euro, and I looked for the quality clasp and workmanship on the piece, and the 925 stamp. I got a written guarantee and a business card.

My matching ring came from Rhodes, and I really had a hard time getting my price - I walked out of the store twice! The owner asked me why I was bargining so hard and why should he give me a discount, and I replied because it is the end of the season, and I am offering cash euro. He agreed and I got my price - etc., etc.

Bottom line - know what it would cost you here in USA and go there ready to bargin. You have to be nice, but firm. Since I like the challange of the art of negotiating, I usually do well - my husband sends me in to talk to car salesmen - HAHAHA

Good luck in your hunt - and may the best negotiator win!

We were on the Oct 30th Celebrity Solstice and I was asking our tour guide about gold jewelry and negotiating, and she said to always carry a magnet with you. Real gold won't "stick" to the magnet, she said. I happened to have a magnetic snap on my purse, and that would've worked, but I found the gold prices to be really high - so I didn't bother.

I did purchase a beautiful heavy silver choker in Mykonos with 925 stamped on it, and I negotiated with the owner till he said ok to my price, and I paid in euros. I found I got a better deal if I offered euro cash. I also got a hand written description and guarantee of the item I purchased, along with the business card from the store.

I then purchased a matching bracelet in Santorini, again negotiating until I got my price, paid in euro, and I looked for the quality clasp and

workmanship on the piece, and the 925 stamp. I got a written guarantee and a business card.

My matching ring came from Rhodes, and I really had a hard time getting my price - I walked out of the store twice! The owner asked me why I was bargining so hard and why should he give me a discount, and I replied because it is the end of the season, and I am offering cash euro. He agreed and I got my price - etc., etc.

Bottom line - know what it would cost you here in USA and go there ready to bargin. You have to be nice, but firm. Since I like the challange of the art of negotiating, I usually do well - my husband sends me in to talk to car salesmen - HAHAHA

Good luck in your hunt - and may the best negotiator win!

Glad to see the tips, especially about the magnet.

Yes that is true- from my experience the gold jewelery is more expensive in Italy, and then Greece. Turkey can have some quite affordable pieces if you shop it out!

I think if you're going for 14 ct gold you will be able to find some areas with those selling it, but the workmanship on the 18+ ct pieces is nicer and looks brighter.. I like this better myself even though it's obviously more soft.

- That's a great idea I saw in one of the posts above, also, always take a small magnet along with you when shopping for gold and you will ensure that you don't get duped by a fake dealer..

Good luck! :D :D :)

info on greek islands holidays

Bottom line - know what it would cost you here in USA and go there ready to bargin.

I think that's the key thing, and (because we buy jewelry very rarely) it's something we don't know. Therefore we don't even bother trying to buy abroad; just too risky.

• 1 month later...

I was in Santorini 20 years ago and bought a unique gold chain necklace- hand forged links. I have worn it virtually every day and have never seen one like it! I don't know if it is still the case, but, the store I bought it in was a certiifed memeber of a Greek or Santorini jewlers union. They had a logo sticker on the window. I am going back to Santorni in May and am planning to get something else. .

• 2 weeks later...
I was in Santorini 20 years ago and bought a unique gold chain necklace- hand forged links. I have worn it virtually every day and have never seen one like it! I don't know if it is still the case, but, the store I bought it in was a certiifed memeber of a Greek or Santorini jewlers union. They had a logo sticker on the window. I am going back to Santorni in May and am planning to get something else. .

If the shop is still in business, please post its name and how to find it. I will be visiting in July and am looking for a nice 22" chain for my cartouche.

Remember not only the price of gold per oz, but the EUR to dollar conversion. When we were there in '08, gold was just too high priced for me. I always buy a set (ring, earrings, pendant, bracelet) wherever I

travel. I switched to silver with beautiful blue lapis stone (since my birthstone is saphire blue). Most was purchased in Greece, so the silver has the Greek symbol. And it was very moderately priced.

I believe I also purchased a silver marquisite and jade pendant in the same store in Sirince that has been posted. It really is quite unique and lovely, I wear it almost every day.

In Mykonos there is a lovely jewelry shop called Jewellery Panagiotis. I bought an 18k gold Byzantine cross with embedded gemstones for what I thought was a reasonable price (not a steal, but not overpriced). They had beautiful pieces featuring dolphins (one of the symbols of the Greek isles) that I had intended to purchase, but then I fell in love with this piece instead.

In Athens, I bought an 18k signet ring with the goddess Athena. I love that ring and wear it every day. I have not had any problems with the gold showing wear (no different from a 14k) and the gold is just a richer color.

I'm guessing with the price of gold now, I probably won't be adding to my collection on my next trip this June.......but then, one never knows. ;)

Archived