Using google maps for Rome DIY

cruisingrus

I'm trying to calculate how many blocks to walk from point A to point B in Rome.( For example walk from the Colosseum to the Capitoline) Does google maps have this? If so, what is the website? I appreciate any help. I know how to go to google maps but I am not familiar with moving around it.

I'm trying to calculate how many blocks to walk from point A to point B in Rome.( For example walk from the Colosseum to the Capitoline) Does google maps have this? If so, what is the website? I appreciate any help. I know how to go to google maps but I am not familiar with moving around it.

This the link http://maps.google.com/ . Open this page, then click on Get Directions. You will see a box that that says By Car below the A & B boxes. Click on the down arrow and highlight By Walking. Put in your Points A & B and you will get a walking map with distances. :)

I've never tried this with google maps and I'd be curious to know how accurate their information is. Using your example, the most direct route from the Colosseum to Capitoline Hill is down the Via Sacra (the Forum). In order to do this, you now need a ticket and the entry isn't as straightforward as it used to be. I wonder if google reflects that?

Grandbanksguy, Thank you so much. I tested your info and it is exactly what I wanted.

Euro Cruiser, google does reflect that you can't use the Forum without a ticket because the directions from the Colosseum to Capitoline Hill uses Via dei Fori Imperiali and then going left.

Grandbanksguy, Thank you so much. I tested your info and it is exactly what I wanted.

Euro Cruiser, google does reflect that you can't use the Forum without a ticket because the directions from the Colosseum to Capitoline Hill uses Via dei Fori Imperiali and then going left.

You are welcome.

Now try this. Open www.maps.google.com and enter an exact street address in the find box. Try pasting this one “via degli ibernesi, 30, 00184 roma (RM), Italy‎” in the box. It will bring up a satellite view of the area with an address box in it. Click on “Street View” in the address box and it will take you to a virtual street view. If you click and drag the arrows on the faint lines in the view you can walk your way around Rome. If you click and drag the figure on the little map in the lower right corner it will take the street view to that location. Have fun. :)

You are welcome.

Now try this. Open www.maps.google.com and enter an exact street address in the find box. Try pasting this one “via degli ibernesi, 30, 00184 roma (RM), Italy‎” in the box. It will bring up a satellite view of the area with an address box in it. Click on “Street View” in the address box and it will take you to a virtual street view. If you click and drag the arrows on the faint lines in the view you can walk your way around Rome. If you click and drag the figure on the little map in the lower right corner it will take the street view to that location. Have fun. :)

You can also click on the current view and rotate and tilt it up or down with your mouse.

Why do Americans always have to measure distance in terms of 'blocks'. Why can't they say 100 yards or 200 yards or 100 meters etc so the rest of the world can join in. This has always bugged me.

I have often asked American friends how far a 'block' is and have never received a definite answer.

While trying to plan shore trips people have told me it is 3 blocks to the station. Outside the USA this means nothing. How long is a piece of string?

Same in cooking. Why 'cups' rather than ounces, grams etc?

Why do Americans always have to measure distance in terms of 'blocks'. Why can't they say 100 yards or 200 yards or 100 meters etc so the rest of the world can join in. This has always bugged me.

I have often asked American friends how far a 'block' is and have never received a definite answer.

While trying to plan shore trips people have told me it is 3 blocks to the station. Outside the USA this means nothing. How long is a piece of string?

Good point. By the way, how many pounds in a stone? :cool:

Good point. By the way, how many pounds in a stone? :cool:

There are 14 pounds in a stone. That is a factual, measurable amount. The point I was making is that the other measurements are not.

It is like, when someone asks how far somewhere is, you answer '10 minute walk'. Depends on how fast you walk :rolleyes:

I guess it's a matter of what you are used to. Even though some city blocks are longer than others, when I think in terms of blocks I know how far I can walk before I need to stop and rest. Same as with miles, it's easier for me to figure immediately how many hours it takes to drive somewhere whereas if I'm given the kilometers then I first have to do a conversion.

Why do Americans always have to measure distance in terms of 'blocks'. Why can't they say 100 yards or 200 yards or 100 meters etc so the rest of the world can join in.

LOL - it's actually worse than that. As an east coaster, I grew up giving directions in time vs. miles, as in "it takes about a half hour to get to Manhattan from here", because miles can be misleading. The distance might only be five miles, but there's no way you're going to cover it in less than 30 minutes.

When I moved out west to Colorado this habit seriously confused and tested the patience of my new neighbors.

While distance isn't well measured in blocks, navigating by blocks, especially whilst walking, is very useful. Each cross-street is one block, so you know if the direction is "3 blocks then turn left) that if you've passed two cross-streets, the next one is your turn. Telling me 100 meters doesn't do me a lot of good if the sidewalks are crowded and I can't measure my steps well, for example. It gives me a general idea, but doesn't give me the comfort of a more "natural" navigation using blocks as references.

In diving, for example, you're taught to navigate using different methods, one is "natural" navigation using the natural features to find your way around (and back). You can also navigate using measured fin strokes. Guess which one is more useful for general getting around?

But it bugs me to no end when people give directions with time. 10 minutes walk to my mother is a much shorter distance than 10 minutes to me, for example. Same thing when people say it's an easy walk when it may be uphill or uneven and not as easy to someone else.

A block can be relative too and hard to determine if the streets aren't on a grid. In google maps you can also use the street view and virtually walk it before you are there so it will look somewhat familiar. Remember to get lost a little too though!!! Some of the best finds in Rome are little churches and piazzas just out of the way along your general path.

Basically being an ex New Yorker I have expertise in this.

1 street block is 1/20 of a mile

1 Avenue Block is 1/10 of a mile

so if you walked 20 blocks from 198 street to 178 street you have a mile

if you walked 10 Avenue blocks from Jerome ave to webster Ave you have a mile. I would only expect people from the Northeast and Chicago areas to understand this concept.

I also lived in Florida and California where this theory really does not work

A cup is a factual unit of measure in the US.

You're right, it is. There are two kind of cups.....dry cup...flour, sugar, oatmeal.....and wet cup...milk, water, juice....the wet cup is actually measured in ounces.....1 cup liquid = 8 oz. I've been cooking/baking for years and never knew this till recently....good thing I'm not a chef...LOL

Because countries measure using different units of measure, one needs to be flexible when interpreting directions in a foreign country. To English-In-Spain, that's why we give directions how we do....it's the only way we know how......:D

Archived