Vancouver - Need dining recommendations for sushi & dimsum

Hi. We're staying downtown at the Pan Pacific this coming week and would like recommendations for sushi & dimsum (at separate times). We are budget-conscious but are not looking for the cheapest place either - great value is what we love. We will have a car and do not mind traveling within the city during our sightseeing.

This past February I had sushi at Sushi Town in Burnaby and found it reasonable and tasty. For Dim Sum I went to the Garden Villa Seafood Restaurant in Chinatown - I liked it fine but wasn't sure how it would compare to other places.

Any recommendations for sushi, dim sum, or both? THANKS!

Hi. We're staying downtown at the Pan Pacific this coming week and would like recommendations for sushi & dimsum (at separate times). We are budget-conscious but are not looking for the cheapest place either - great value is what we love. We will have a car and do not mind traveling within the city during our sightseeing.

This past February I had sushi at Sushi Town in Burnaby and found it reasonable and tasty. For Dim Sum I went to the Garden Villa Seafood Restaurant in Chinatown - I liked it fine but wasn't sure how it would compare to other places.

For the reasonable cost

Shushi: http://www.shabusen.com/ Upstairs at Burrard and Robson

If you want REAL chinese food, take Skytrain to Patterson station, and go to the Crystal Mall.

For Dim Sum, try Dai Tung on Kingsway or Sun Sui Wah on Main Street. Not the cheapest, but not expensive. Dai Tung is a bit cheaper than Sun Sui Wah, but I say they are both good value for money. There are cheaper dim sum places than these, but you will not get the same quality.

As for "classic" sushi, you can try Aki in downtown (Thurlow and Alberni) or Toshi on Main Street. They are both good, and their dishes are reasonably priced.

Having said that, I personally like the food at Mandala Iki (W.4th and Balsam) or Iki Japanese bistro (W. Broadway and MacDonald) better. They give you the option to either have your sushi made with white or brown rice and their take on the yam fries is absolutely delicious. This is not a classic sushi joint - more fusion - but really good value. Try the crispy mango roll or the crispy lobster roll or the cobra roll. Their sashimi is also always very fresh.

For Dim Sum there are two places we go to regularily.

The Fantastic Restaurant on Kingsway is a family run operation that has good solid food at reasonable prices.

Some one else mentioned Sun Sui Wa on Main street and I have to second that recomendation. Very good Dim Sum but more expensive than others ....also expect long line-ups on weekends.

Hello - I really appreciate all the suggestions so far. A couple questions ... we are planning on having dim sum on a Friday. Do the places mentioned thus far offer it every day?

Regarding sushi, the brown rice sushi and yam fries sound great, as do most of the other suggestions. Trying to get my bearings ... are 'Kingsway' and 'Main Street' referring to downtown Vancouver or somewhere else?

Thanks again!

Hello - I really appreciate all the suggestions so far. A couple questions ... we are planning on having dim sum on a Friday. Do the places mentioned thus far offer it every day?

Regarding sushi, the brown rice sushi and yam fries sound great, as do most of the other suggestions. Trying to get my bearings ... are 'Kingsway' and 'Main Street' referring to downtown Vancouver or somewhere else?

Thanks again!

Not sure about Fantastic Restaurant, but both Sun Sui Wah and Dai Tung should be open for dim sum on Friday.

All the restaurants mentioned so far are *not* in the downtown core, *except for 2*.

• Shabusen (AYCE sushi) and Aki are both in the downtown core.
  • Sun Sui Wah is in East Vancouver (Main and E23rd).
  • Dai Tung is also in East Vancouver (Kingsway and E19th).
  • Mandala Iki Asian Bistro and Iki Japanese Bistro are both in Kitsilano (on the West side, closer to UBC).
  • Crystal Mall is in Burnaby in the Metrotown area.
  • Fantastic Restaurant is in East Vancouver (Kingsway and Joyce).

I asked while staying at the pan one person sent to a place within walking distance for dinner. food was good but no half orders so i left the left overs. But for Dim Sum i went to china town and it was one of the many "hole in the wall" places. the name is in FL and I am in NC. There are many places like that to pick from. iti was clean and busy and good.

Ellbon & Orchid ... thanks for your additional information.

Knowing the general area of town is very helpful ... like I originally said, we will have a vehicle and are trying to get out of downtown some, so this is good.

Is UBC's campus worth seeing? Sure, everyone would have a different opinion, but is the architecture or landscape anything unusual, or what else is in West Van that would be good to do while out that way?

Our family is Chinese-Canadian, so go out for dim sum frequently - mainly in Richmond, but also Vancouver. You won't go wrong with Sun Sui Wah on Main (and 23rd), but you might also consider Golden Harvest; also on Main (at 32nd). Prices are a little less expensive; it's smaller with mostly Asian patrons.

If you want to venture into Richmond, I'd recommend Empire Seafood (No. 3 Rd and Westminster Highway) or the Richmond location of Sun Sui Wah (No. 3 at Alexandra).

As a UBC alum, of course I'd say that the campus is worth visiting. :)

But seriously, it has a mixture of old classic buildings and newer architecture in a beautiful green setting. Some notable locations: UBC Museum of Anthropology, Nitobe Japanese Gardens, UBC Botanical Gardens, Pacific Spirit Park (if you're in the mood for a walk). It's also adjacent to Wreck Beach and Spanish Banks if you're in the mood for some sun 'n sand.

Ellbon & Orchid ... thanks for your additional information.

Knowing the general area of town is very helpful ... like I originally said, we will have a vehicle and are trying to get out of downtown some, so this is good.

Is UBC's campus worth seeing? Sure, everyone would have a different opinion, but is the architecture or landscape anything unusual, or what else is in West Van that would be good to do while out that way?

I echo what Ell52 said about UBC. It is worth visiting for the gardens and the vistas. There are some old-ish and newer buildings, but they are not as grand and majestic as those older buildings in New England and European campuses that most people are probably used to seeing.

Since you are trying to get your bearings, I just want to clarify the difference between West Van and the west side of Vancouver - they are totally different parts of the lower mainland.

When we refer to the west side of Vancouver, we usually refer to the area where you will find neighbourhoods like Kitsilano and Kerrisdale and UBC, which are on the west side of the city of Vancouver. West Vancouver is actually a different district separate from the city of Vancouver. It is a short drive North-west-ish of downtown Vancouver over the Lions gate bridge. (Of course, just to confuse you even more, when we refer to East Van, we are referring not to a different district like West Van, but to the east side of the city of Vancouver. Take note, though, that we are not referring to the Downtown Eastside either, which is, sadly, probably the poorest neighbourhood in Canada).

If you're asking about what else is there to do on the west side, aside from what Ell52 suggested about Spanish Banks and Wreck Beach, there is also Kits Beach in Kitsilano.

As for West Vancouver, you can always head over to Ambleside beach or go for a picnic in, or an easy hike around, Lighthouse park.

Ok, so I got out my Greater Vancouver map and it's making more sense now. I see West Vancouver (where the Sea-to-Sky highway is along the coast) West Side, north of the airport, and then West End - part of downtown adjacent to Stanley Park. And then East Vancouver ... we're going to a baseball game and it looks like the stadium, and Queen Elizabeth Park is included in this area.

Thanks again - you all are most helpful.

Archived