Equinox balcony Cabins- obstructed view

westville

Please advise - all advice and info is appreciated.

We booked 2 balcony cabins for the holiday sailing 24 Dec 2009. We booked in November 2008. All balcony cabins were available -booked 2C as we wanted adjoining interconnecting cabins with a $50.00 dollar difference between the categories.

Now noticed on celebrity website that all 2c cabins are obstructed view.

I did contact celebrity-of no help -was told that the cabins have 30% obstruction.I must keep what I have or pay the difference to change a category - ridiculous amount was requested. Almost double the price.

I am very disappointed with celebrity as we booked directly with them and their service is just awful. We booked 13 months before sailing and they had our deposit for all this time-never informed us of the obstructed view in these cabins- we found out for ourselves.If we are not happy with these cabins - will cancel and will NOT book with celebrity again. We have taken this time off and I booked my flights already. Also if I change my plans - I have missed all the discount rates. Celebrity has NO customer service with no desire to help existing customers.

Please advise on how bad the obstructed view is - is it only the lifeboat below or is it a pillar obstructing the horizontal view.

I tried locating the cabins on the pictures posted- not successful

The cabins we booked are 6273 and 6275

Please help

We have cruised with Celebrity many times, and always have found their customer service to be very good to excellent. Surely you won't try to blame them because you did not do your research prior to booking. We have friends booking now, and found that they could go from a 2C to a 1A with only $200 difference. And that is fantastic difference in staterooms. We have heard from friends that booked a 2B, and yes there is what is honestly called by Celebrity a restricted view. Good for them for mentioning the restriction on their website, which perhaps you neglected to look at. I think the deck is the same, just more to the center of the ship. Restriction seems to be lifeboats, especially trying to look down towards the water. Horizon is good.

I sure would keep what you have, and remember you won't be in the stateroom very much, and you certainly will enjoy all Celebrity has to offer.

Disneyfolks

I did my research prior to booking- In Nov 2008 Celebrity did not post 2C as obstructed view cabins. The ship was still in construction. Only when the solstice was completed - did they all realize a potential problem. At this point Celebrity should have contacted all existing bookings to inform us of the change. They have only posted the 2C as obstructed view cabins most recently. Informing existing customers ( especially when you have their deposits) is not too much to ask.

Disneyfolks

I did my research prior to booking- In Nov 2008 Celebrity did not post 2C as obstructed view cabins. The ship was still in construction. Only when the solstice was completed - did they all realize a potential problem. At this point Celebrity should have contacted all existing bookings to inform us of the change. They have only posted the 2C as obstructed view cabins most recently. Informing existing customers ( especially when you have their deposits) is not too much to ask.

6273 and 6275 are above the smaller lifeboats (not the larger tenders). As such, your view won't be obstructed very much at all. You won't be able to look straight down to the water but your horizon view is unimpeded.

You could try checking the "sticky" thread which has a template giving details of the cabin lay-out of Solstice cabins. We chose our Equinox cabin based on the information there. We know of course that we took a chance as at the time Equinox was not yet built. All of the information has been provided by posters who have stayed in the relevant cabins on Solstice. They do request that you do not post asking for info on specific cabins but check the listings. Hope this helps.

This is the view from cabin 6240 on Equinox, I am sure yours will not be that obstructed. The lifeboats are under the cabin window. You will not be able to look down to see the sea but you can certainly see accross the lifeboat.

Look at any picture of Equinox and you will see where the lifeboats are situated, the top of them is level with deck 6.

1041194392_CelebrityEquinoxJuly2009056.jpg.54194e438b876f9669da8a5cba7d5ce7.jpg

This is the view from cabin 6240 on Equinox, I am sure yours will not be that obstructed. The lifeboats are under the cabin window. You will not be able to look down to see the sea but you can certainly see accross the lifeboat.

Look at any picture of Equinox and you will see where the lifeboats are situated, the top of them is level with deck 6.

Heres a balcony shot from 6179. Taken sitting down.

IMG_1453.jpg.3547753f53845df8e13b0179a21e61fe.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg.ef9995c09cba07d3949ead9de05b114c.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thank you everyone so much! this all was quite helpful! surprisingly, the fact that the smoking deck is right below deck 6 is what really pushed me to book deck 9... but now i'm so excited!!!! now we just have to get through the wedding and we'll be off to rome! :)

• 6 months later...

If youre on your balcony while they are testing the lifeboats, make sure you have your kit on...........the room is fine, and cost significantly less than the room above. For the $$$$ we saved, the obstructed view was a non issue.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived