Cocktails

PCM

Great question, how about a Sidecar, Deauville cocktail, Gimlet, Dubonnet cocktail, Mint julep. A little before my time:), but it is a topic that I love!

Steve

Manhattan's, Rob Roy's, Sazerac, Gibson, Champagne Cocktail, Whiskey Sour, Zombie are a few more--all a bit before my time but I remember my parents and their friends drinking these.

Either a Bourbon Old Fashioned or a Vieux Carre, which is rye whiskey, cognac, sweet vermouth, angostura and peychaud bitters.

I've also a fondness for French 75's, which most bartenders will make with gin, Champagne, sugar and lemon; but tell them to omit the gin and replace it with a nice cognac, like a Hennessy V.S., for a divine -- but lethal -- libation.

If you were going to order a CLASSIC 1930's Cocktail, what would it be?

Piers.

:p

1920-1933 was the period of prohibition in the USA so I guess the cocktail party drink would be Coke!

So this still leaves most of the 1930's in which cocktails were legal in the US. The Museum of the American Cocktail is in New Orleans. The Vodka Museum is in Amsterdam.

I'll have a Martini with a twist please.:D

Denise

So this still leaves most of the 1930's in which cocktails were legal in the US. The Museum of the American Cocktail is in New Orleans. The Vodka Museum is in Amsterdam.

I'll have a Martini with a twist please.:D

Denise

I with you on that one, I love a good twist , lets not forget, legal or not legal, Martinis were still around.

Why, "Pink Gin" of course, Plymouth Gin with a spot of Angostura bitters, add water if you must. Cheers!

Made in the United Kingdom in the 19th century, a Pink Gin contains gentian and a dash of 'pink'. 'Pink' referring to the Angostura bitters, a dark red extract of gentian and spices. This is typically an English way of drinking and enjoying gin.

Also called Gin and Bitters, the Pink Gin cocktail was created by the Royal Navy. They created the drink in order to make Angostura bitters more enjoyable. The Royal Navy used the bitters to treat medical conditions in sailors; furthermore, it was also used to treat seasickness.

The Recipe

This recipe serves 1

1 measure gin

2-3 dashes Angostura bitters

Coat the sides of a chilled martini glass with the Angostura bitters, add chilled gin and serve.

Archived