Spare a thought for tsunami victims, please.

DoctorFeelgood

DoctorFeelgood, maybe you missed the thread that was started early this morning, "Earthquake in Indonesia" in which we were all saying our prayers for everyone involved including the good people onboard the HAL ships who undoubtedly have friends and families there. So rest assured this has not been overlooked.

Also spare a thought for the hundreds of HAL employees that are trying to continue to give their guests a wonderful experience while desperately worried about their families back home.

I hope that HAL corporate is doing everything they can to get the most news possible to those on the ships and helping those who have lost family.

Ooops, looks like Heather posted at the same time I did. I'll check the other thread.

Also spare a thought for the hundreds of HAL employees that are trying to continue to give their guests a wonderful experience while desperately worried about their families back home.

I hope that HAL corporate is doing everything they can to get the most news possible to those on the ships and helping those who have lost family.

My thoughts exactly....it must be very difficult to continue to work while awaiting word as to your families fate....The 16 hours it took to have my family get ahold of me after the Loma Prieta earthquake was some of the longest I have personally experienced.:(

My prayers are with them all.

Actually it is not only Indonesia - it was only a small area - that has been affected but Thailand, Sri Lanki, India, the Maldives and Africa.

There are thousands missing and killed. It must have been horrendous to see the waves coming and not being able to escape.

There are also a lot of holidaymakers from around the world including Australia who were holidaying in a lot of the areas affected and have not yet been accounted for. Our thoughts are with their families as well as all the victims.

At the last count over 13,000 people are dead or missing! A huge number.

Jennie

Aussie Gal: I thought about you first thing when we started getting the reports. Thank you for your post.

I join with the others here who send their prayers to the people of Southeast Asia and to ship crew members all over the world who are cut off and without word about their families. There is no worse agony than not knowing in a time like this.

It was also reported that initial estimates are that over 10,000 died on the Island of Sumatra from the earthquake itself. According to USGS, 2 quakes of a magnitude of 7+ have struck the region as aftershocks as well as many many smaller quakes. My prayers go out to those in Indonesia that continue to feel those huge aftershocks and to all that have been affected in Southeast Asia by this horrible tragedy. :(

According to the latest figures over 25,000 have been killed. The worst hit country is Sri Lanka with well over 11,000 dead. Australia could have warned these countries if only the Asian countries had a warning system in place like our friends in the Pacific as Australia knew within 30 minutes what had happened. We would have been only able to give Thailand 15 minutes warning but the other countries would have had up to 2 hours and surely something could have been done in that time.

It is a terrible tragedy and one that I am sure will have a lasting effect for a very long time.

Jennie

Archived