Uniworld river cruise april23,2010 tulips & windmills(river duchess)

STUR

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from our trip to Warsaw Krakow Budapest & Prague Now to getready for the restfull River Boat Cruise April 23rd Brussels ( Antwerp ) to Amsterdam on the River Duchess

Anyone joining us

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

We did that trip last april only from Amsterdam to antwerp. It was wonderful. You will love it! Everyone on uniworld was most pleasant and accommodating. We had a wonderful tour guide named Walter. Have a great time.

next trip?

Thank you for the good comments

B/4 we know it April 23rd will be here

We now have to fill in the blanks As we are staying in Brussels The night b/4 and Amsterdam one extra night after Than to paris for 5 nights.

ANY SUGESTIONS ?

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Stur..... Last year I stayed in Paris for 5 nights, prior to our cruise, right around the same time of year.

We were advised to stay in the Latin Quarter, as there was alot more to do within walking distance.

I booked a charming little hotel called "Hotel Henri Rive Gauche". It had a very good rating on Trip Advisor, so I felt assured that it would be good.

It turned out to be in a perfect location. 2 blocks from Notre Dame. We even walked from The Eiffel Tower back to the hotel.

The rooms were a little small, but I think alot of the hotel rooms are, in the older areas.

There was a hop on Hop off bus stop right near by and tons of restaurants.

We took the train after that to our River Duchess Tulips and Windmills cruise.

Didn't end up staying in Antwerp so can't help you there.

You will be in The netherlands during the "top" time for tulips etc. Probably a tour to Keukenhof will be included, but if not donot miss it!!!

www.keukenhof.nl

Re Hotels the choice is wide. Around Centraal Station: Renaissance, Victoria, Barbizon Palace and may others. Good area for public transportation, Ann Frank house is walking distance. Pls. make on-line reservations for An Frank and skip the long lines.

Around Rijks- and Van Goghmuseum you will find hotels like Marriott, Parkhotel, Museumhotel etc.

Stur,

We are also from the Dayton area--Beavercreek. You will be very pleased with Uniworld--we have made the majority of our river cruises with them. Next year they will have bikes on board. And hopefully they will still have sundeck dining, but it might be a tad cool in April. We were in Amsterdam last April. The gardens are wonderful. If you are adventuresome, the trip is very easily done on your own. We stayed at the Renaissance in Amsterdam--very centrally located-a 5 minute walk from Central Station. River cruising is such a wonderful way to travel. If you have more questions contact me at momcooneyatwohdotrrdotcom. Pat

Stur,

We stayed in Amsterdam 3 nights before the cruise and stayed at the Marriott Hotel. Great location, within walking distance to most sights, also the public transportation is right out the front door of the Marriott and across the street. Even though your cruise will include the Keukonhoff Gardens we felt that it would not be enough time ) only spends about 3 hour at the most there), so we took a tour on our own from amsterdam. Very easy to do and then you can spend your time leisurely exploring the Gardens. The Gardens are so beautiful and peaceful. You can have lunch there and truly enjoy rather than being with the tour group and being rushed!

We also stayed in Brussels for 5 nights and stayed at the Marriott, which was about 3 mins. walk from the Grand Place and within 5 mins. from Butcher Street , which is actually about 4 streets for pedistrains only and has one outdoor rest. after another. Our tour guide on Uniworld, who was from Amsterdam, was the one who recommended Butcher Street to us and it was a real experience. One side of the street would be all Italian food, the other all Greek food, another street would be all chinese and so on. You could pick any ethnic food you like and the menus are all posted on the outside of the rest.

You will love the Gardens. So many tulips in bloom that it is AWESOME!

Have a wonderful trip. You are right--April will be here before you know it.

nexzt trip?

• 2 weeks later...

We're seriously considering the April 5 tulips trip from Antwerp; our third trip with Uniworld, and we understand selling out fast. We were previously on the River Dutchess a few years ago from Amsterdam to Vienna. Having never been in Belgium, we would like to spend a few days pre-cruise in Brussels. Uniworld doesn't offer a pre-cruise on this trip, so we'll have to figure getting to the dock in Antwerp from the Brussels hotel April 5 on our own. Also, we'll need to get from London Gatwick to Heathrow for the flight to Brussels.

In the meantime, we have a trip to the Eastern Med coming up in November -- lots to think about and plan.

Best wishes from Florida's Nature Coast,

captgeo

Stur

We also stayed in the Latin Quarter - in Hotel Minerve - and were very happy with the location. We were less than 2 blocks from the Seine - within easy walking distance of Notre Dame & Ile St. Louis. We ran into people we know behind Notre Dame (honestly, walked around to show my DH the rose window from the outside before going inside - and saw people we knew sitting on a bench, just finishing lunch... Quite surreal, actually...) - and they were staying on Rue Cler, and quite enjoyed it.

We're seriously considering the April 5 tulips trip from Antwerp; our third trip with Uniworld, and we understand selling out fast. We were previously on the River Dutchess a few years ago from Amsterdam to Vienna. Having never been in Belgium, we would like to spend a few days pre-cruise in Brussels. Uniworld doesn't offer a pre-cruise on this trip, so we'll have to figure getting to the dock in Antwerp from the Brussels hotel April 5 on our own. Also, we'll need to get from London Gatwick to Heathrow for the flight to Brussels.

In the meantime, we have a trip to the Eastern Med coming up in November -- lots to think about and plan.

captgeo

It would be nice to have you join us on the 23rd

In Brussels we are going to stay near the airport Uniworld said they will provide tranpertation from the Airport to Antwerp If ypu pay in full b/4 Sept. 30 uniworld has som big savings also booking through the auto club there is also some discounts

We are flying Dayton to Atlanta to Brussels and home from Paris

come join us

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

captgeo

Hi, we are on the April 5 trip - Antwerp to Amsterdam. My 3rd with Uniworld and my mom's 4th. We are so excited - we are spending 3 nights in amsterdam pre-cruise. and planning all our sightseeing. Let me know if you will be on our trip.

kind regards

Hi BEAN42s:

Alas, the April 05 trip is about sold out; we could only get a cabin back next to the galley. So, we've opted for the 02 April trip. We board in Antwerp on Good Friday, and hope we'll be someplace special on Easter Sunday.

All in all, it should be a beautiful trip -- sorry we'll miss meeting y'all!

Best wishes from South USA

captgeo

• 2 months later...

At last i am a zayde

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday at 2:09 am I became a Zayde (Grandpa) for the firat time. My daughter gave birth to Spencer benjamin 8lbs 4oz / 20 1/2 in. The briss will be this Thursday Thanksgiving day

Cherie and I cant wait for our up coming river cruise tulips & windmills april23,2010 to may 3,2010 on the River Duchess

see every one soon proud zayde

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Congratulations grampa!!

My husband and I are also booked on the Uniworld River Duchess departing Antwerp on Saturday 24 April 2010. This will be our first river cruise...I chose this cruise especially for the tulips and the Keukenhof Garden.

We are leaving Ottawa on the 19th and arriving in Brussels the next morning. We will probably use the train to get from the airport to downtown.

I used expedia.ca to book a room at the Hotel Metropole near the Grand Place. While in Brussels we will definitely take a day-trip to Ghent by train (since it is not part of the cruise itinerary), I'm also thinking of visiting the botanical garden (just outside of town, accessible by bus) and the Royal Greenhouses if they are open to visitors at that time. Probably won't do too many museums; we've already seen all the major art museums in London and other European capitals (and the main museums in Antwerp and Amsterdam are included in the cruise itinerary). I've already received brochures from Belgium's Tourism office and from the city of Ghent (requested them on-line). The Belgian rail company also offers some interesting day trips....if we're at a loss for things to do we may also consider one of those.

We will be staying an extra day post-cruise in Amsterdam. Used expedia.ca to book a room at Eden Amsterdam American Hotel. Its on one of the canals and next to a nice square with restaurants, cafés, etc and easy bus access to the airport.

With so few passengers on these river cruises we'll be sure to meet once we're on board.

Congratulations grampa!!

My husband and I are also booked on the Uniworld River Duchess departing Antwerp on Saturday 24 April 2010. This will be our first river cruise...I chose this cruise especially for the tulips and the Keukenhof Garden.

We are leaving Ottawa on the 19th and arriving in Brussels the next morning. We will probably use the train to get from the airport to downtown.

I used expedia.ca to book a room at the Hotel Metropole near the Grand Place. While in Brussels we will definitely take a day-trip to Ghent by train (since it is not part of the cruise itinerary), I'm also thinking of visiting the botanical garden (just outside of town, accessible by bus) and the Royal Greenhouses if they are open to visitors at that time. Probably won't do too many museums; we've already seen all the major art museums in London and other European capitals (and the main museums in Antwerp and Amsterdam are included in the cruise itinerary). I've already received brochures from Belgium's Tourism office and from the city of Ghent (requested them on-line). The Belgian rail company also offers some interesting day trips....if we're at a loss for things to do we may also consider one of those.

We will be staying an extra day post-cruise in Amsterdam. Used expedia.ca to book a room at Eden Amsterdam American Hotel. Its on one of the canals and next to a nice square with restaurants, cafés, etc and easy bus access to the airport.

With so few passengers on these river cruises we'll be sure to meet once we're on board.

GREEN FROG

great to hear from some one els on the same trip

looking foward to meeting you

This also will be our first River Boat Cruise

Cherie is 67 and I (Stu 68)

We Leave Dayton,Ohio On Thur. April 22nd arriving Brussels Fri. April 23rd (am) Staying at the Courtyard by Marriott Airport Sat. AM April 24th take Shuttle bach to airport as if we just arrived in Brussels Uniworld is to Transfer us to the River Boat

In Amsterdam May 4th when we depart the river boat We are spending one night @ the Amsterdam Hilton In Amsterdam we wont to go to the Ann Frank House (you are welcome to join us)

Tuesday May 5th We are taking the Train to Paris France for 5 days

Returning Home on May 9th

Inclosed find my E-Mail Address STUR2@woh.rr.com

We can exchange phone# and info

Cant Wait Proud Grandpa

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Hi Stur,

we're young retirees in our early to mid-50s.

Haven't planned anything specific for our extra day in Amsterdam, it will depend on how much/what we get to see as part of the cruise itinerary.

Right now we are getting ready for a HAL western caribbean cruise leaving on Dec 6 (we're leaving home next Thurs to spend a few days pre-cruise in Tampa) . I will e-mail you when we get back. It will be nice to "know" someone before we even board the ship. :)

Hi Stur,

we're young retirees in our early to mid-50s.

Haven't planned anything specific for our extra day in Amsterdam, it will depend on how much/what we get to see as part of the cruise itinerary.

Right now we are getting ready for a HAL western caribbean cruise leaving on Dec 6 (we're leaving home next Thurs to spend a few days pre-cruise in Tampa) . I will e-mail you when we get back. It will be nice to "know" someone before we even board the ship. :)

Injoy Your Cruise To Western Caibbean

Last December we did the Panama Canal and in March Hawai Both on Celebraty Mercury

This will be the first year in Since 1989 we have not taken a ocion cruise

Tomorow Sunday will be our last day in Columbus,Ohio We have bean hear since Wednesday 18th Dayton,Ohio is only about 80 miles to the west. I am sure we will be coming to Columbus alot My is comming back after a week at home to help with the baby

We where in Ottawa once with the kids back in the mid 70's and stayed at a hotel called the Lord Elgon across the river from the place where they change the gard

See you soon

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

In Amsterdam May 4th when we depart the river boat We are spending one night @ the Amsterdam Hilton In Amsterdam we wont to go to the Ann Frank House (you are welcome to join us)

Cant Wait Proud Grandpa

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Just a reminder re May 04, that is Memorial Day in The netherlands. During the day, but especially at night around 8 pm. a 2 minute silence will be held all over the country.

At Damsquare in Amsterdam Queen beatrix will put flowers at the memorialstatue.

This services will affect some openinghours of shops, maybe also of An Frankhouse. So check it carefully and I advice to make on-line reservations to skip the sometimes longlines. There is a special entrance door for people holding reservations/tickets.

Cant Wait Proud Grandpa

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Just a reminder re May 04, that is Memorial Day in The netherlands. During the day, but especially at night around 8 pm. a 2 minute silence will be held all over the country.

At Damsquare in Amsterdam Queen beatrix will put flowers at the memorialstatue.

This services will affect some openinghours of shops, maybe also of An Frankhouse. So check it carefully and I advice to make on-line reservations to skip the sometimes longlines. There is a special entrance door for people holding reservations/tickets.

Thanks for the info

I have my Dates wrong Mon May 3rd We depart The River Boat to Hilton overnight And Catch the train on Tues. May 4th to Paris for 5 nights

We intend to make reservations on line for Ann Frank house for Monday afternoon

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Archived