Uniworld river cruise april23,2010 tulips & windmills(river duchess)

STUR

Just a reminder re May 04, that is Memorial Day in The netherlands. During the day, but especially at night around 8 pm. a 2 minute silence will be held all over the country.

At Damsquare in Amsterdam Queen beatrix will put flowers at the memorialstatue.

This services will affect some openinghours of shops, maybe also of An Frankhouse. So check it carefully and I advice to make on-line reservations to skip the sometimes longlines. There is a special entrance door for people holding reservations/tickets.

Hello Ine,

Thanks for the heads-up on Memorial Day. I've researched it on the internet and am now quite confused :confused: Memorial Day is on May 4th and the next day May 5th is Liberation Day, is that correct? Are either of those dates official statutory holidays (national holidays where everybody is off work) or do only government employees get those days off?

Too bad I didn't know about Liberation Day before I made our flight and hotel reservations. As a retired member of the Canadian Armed Forces, I would've loved to attend the Liberation Day festivities. At least our cruise itinerary includes the Liberation Museum at Nijmegen.....I hope that we can stop at the Canadian War Cemetary just outside Groesbeek. Since we are doing the cruise in reverse, we should be there on Apr 29.

The next day, Queen's Day, we will be in Enkhuizen. So I don't expect that we would get caught up in huge festivities. Do small towns have fireworks displays and such on the Queen's Day?

Hello Ine,

Thanks for the heads-up on Memorial Day. I've researched it on the internet and am now quite confused :confused: Memorial Day is on May 4th and the next day May 5th is Liberation Day, is that correct? Are either of those dates official statutory holidays (national holidays where everybody is off work) or do only government employees get those days off?

Too bad I didn't know about Liberation Day before I made our flight and hotel reservations. As a retired member of the Canadian Armed Forces, I would've loved to attend the Liberation Day festivities. At least our cruise itinerary includes the Liberation Museum at Nijmegen.....I hope that we can stop at the Canadian War Cemetary just outside Groesbeek. Since we are doing the cruise in reverse, we should be there on Apr 29.

The next day, Queen's Day, we will be in Enkhuizen. So I don't expect that we would get caught up in huge festivities. Do small towns have fireworks displays and such on the Queen's Day?

Both are no big holidays, memorialday is mostly only at night. For you it might be interesting to try and be on Damsquare and see the official memorialcelebration at 8 pm with many dutch people. In Amsterdam on May 5 there will be concerts and festivities around Museumplein and other places. Mostly youngster celebrating this.

Queens birthday is very crowded in Amsterdam, almost no public transport as thousands are coming to the city. In smaller towns like Enkhuizen you might see a concert, maybe schoolchildren singing at townsquare, often "free market"which means everyone can sell his stuff...(if you are lucky you might find some nice dutch souvenirs).

On TV in the morning you can watch the Queen and the whole royal family making visits to 2 different places,(I cannot remember with towns she will go to this year). Some towns have fireworks, others not.

Shops will be open in the morning, often close in the afternoon.

In Enkhuizen an interesting place to visit is Zuiderzeemuseum, a collection of old houses from villages around the former Zuiderzee (now IJsselmeer).

http://www.zuiderzeemuseum.nl/home/

On the left at the top of this website you can change it into the english version.

Enjoy your stay.

Hello Stur,

We are going on our first river cruise Budepest to Prague in 4-25-2010. Then railway tour to Krakow and Warsaw. I understand that you have just been there. Any suggestion? Thanks.

Angela

ANGELA INJOY YOUR TRIP

SUNDAY AUGUST 9th

Arrived in Warsaw Poland on time 11:10am

This was the hard part for me. After getting off the plain we had to walk up ramps at least 3 stories high, and long hall ways to the other end of the airport. I thought I would dye being out of shape. But did make it to baggage clam. As we arrived at the baggage clam a Sloppy man that could not speak English had our names on a paper sign to help us clam our baggage, it took a year ad a day for our baggage to make its way out of the shoot. (ONE PIECE AT A TIME). As we left the secure part of the airport we where met again by someone holding up our names (Steven our English speaking guide and a Driver To take us to Jaroslaw, Poland This is where we think Cherie’s parents are from, about 250 miles from Warsaw good 5 hr. drive. The Hotel was not up to my standers. The Hotel Astikus with a beautiful view of the squire No Air. No Elevator, Small Room, But we where tired. We took our guide and Driver to Dinner A real Polish Ristorante & Caffe (Ttattoria), we had a little of every thing and it was all good Soup to Nuts Total Bill Polish 110 including tip (about he said $30.00 U.S)

This morning we eat breakfast at the hotel and another is to meet us to show us Jaroslaw and then this afternoon the long drive back to Warsaw to a Deluxe Hotel foe two Nights (SOFITEL VICTORIA)

MONDAY AUGUST 10TH

This morning had breakfast at the hotel (I had what was called Traditional Polis Soup with egg and sausage and a small bite of Cabajka (Sausage)

At 9am we where met by a guide to talk about Jaroslaw and a man to talk about the old Cemetery.

We first went to the office of records Cherie filed out forms to try to find out anything about her parents Marriage certificate / Birth certificate

They said it would take about 2 weeks to find out anything.

There are no Jews left in Jaroslaw today. The last one was a Mr. Silverman who died in 1979 and is berried in a near by town of Prazem. At one time he was the owner of the building which is now the hotel we stayed in (at that time it was a bakery and where he lived).We now started to take a walk of the city across from our hotel was a chasid Synagogue which is now a library than we walked by a building which was the Michva and now is a print shop than to the big Synagogue which is now a school for the arts next store is what they call the small Synagogue which is in a total state of disrepair . The only sign of any of the three buildings being a Synagogue was the 10 commandments above the small synagogue with no inscription and on the big Synagogue a small sign stating it was a Synagogue. At one time there were over 10,000 Jews living in Jaroslaw once the largest trading center in central-eastern Europe after Frankfurt am Main.

After this a drive to the Jewish Cemetery, this did not seam like an ordinary cemetery The path to the Cemetery was over grown the was a modern building built by some one from Chicago to an or a rabbi Hasid and for others. At one time there where at least 2000 graves out here today there are may 30 at the most that have bean found underground all in Yiddish , there are no records of who was berried where. In 1941 to 1944 the Germans took the head stones and ground them up to use as foundations to build roads. (hart breaking decussating) I had a strange feeling after leaving.

Now for the long drive to Warsaw to meet up with the rest of our group and a deluxe hotel and dinner at the hotel 3 couples from New York City and one gentleman from Toronto , There is a large group of Teenagers staying here (Shalom Tours) from Israel.

TUESDAY AUGUST 11TH

Breakfast this morning was fantastic. We all where picked up at 8:30am to start our tour of Jewish Heritage tour of Warsaw by p/car .Our guides name was Mrs. Jolanta Kunicka here we waked through the old Jewish Ghetto, We saw Warsaw Ghetto Heroes monument, sculpture by Natan Rappaport, and the marble plaque commemorating Mila 18 next stop was the Umschlag Platz, where 300,000 Jews were deported by train to Treblinka. Next we went to the Old Cemetery dating back to 1806 the largest in Poland (Still in use today and well taken care of not destroyed by the ****).

Next we went on a walking tour of the old town and market square. After lunch we proceeded to the Jewish Museum. At one time across the way was the Great Synagogue of Warsaw (now a new office building and a Car dealership. After this we went to the only Synagogue in Warsaw. Inside it is vary Orthodox. They say they have 560 total members and there are about 600 with no affiliation for a total of only 1160. I was surprised as I thought there were many more. They have services every day twice a day abele to get a minion together about 90% of the time and better attendance on Shabbat because of the young generations. Next store was a Theater (live) showing Fiddler on the Roof (in Polish of course)

Now back to the Hotel and some rest (my feet are tired and so am I)

WEDNESDAY AUGUST 12TH

After breakfast transfer from hotel to the main Railway station Warszawa Centralan 9:15am to12:10pm for train to Karkow to meet our guide Ms. Moinka Prylinska for our Tour of Auschwitz.

Today started with a big upscale and fun and finished with a big down which is hard to describe.

First the fun catch the train in Warsaw, 9 of us arrived at the Station with our luggage with a fold up two wheel tote He was determined to put all of our luggage on the one cart and strap it all down (no way) The train was a few min. late. The train ride to Karkow was fantastic each compartment held 6 people with big windows; we were 4 in one and 5 in the other Compartment. The trip was non stop and took about three hr. and vary relaxing and comfortable (Amtrak should be ashamed of them selves) after arriving met by our guide for a 1 hr ride to Auschwitz.

THIS IS THE HARD PART AFTER ARRIVING AND WALKING UNDER THE FAMOUS SIGN IN TO THE CAMP AND SEEING WHAT WAS SEEN NEW BEAUTIFUL BUILDINGS BUILT OF BRICK THERE WERE DISPLAYS IN THESE BUILDINGS OF WHAT HAPPENED WHICH IS HARD TO DESCRIBE THE MOST TOUCHING THING TO ME WAS THE DISPLAY OF ALL THE HAIR AND HOW THEY USED IT TO MAKE RUGS (I HAD TEARS IN MY EYES) AND THOUGHT TO MY SELF HOW COULD YOU HAVE BOUGHT A VW OR SUPORT ANY THING GERMAN IT IS HARD TO FORGIVE. WE ALSO SAW THE GAS CHAMBERS AND CREMATORIAN.

WE THAN DROVE TO BRINKENAU TO SEE THE RAIL HEAD AND THE AND MORE OF THE BUILDING OF WOOD (THE LARGEST OF THE CAMPS (AT THE TIME OF OUR TOUR THE WEATHE WAS RAINY COLD WET AND VARY UNCONFERTABLE JUST THINK THIS GAVE ME A FEALING OVE THE DISCOMFORT OF WHAT AND EVEN WORSE HOW THOSE IN THE CAMPS HAD FELT.

I was surprised to see how people from all over the world had come to visit Auschwitz-Birkenau

THERE WILL NEVER BE THE WRIGHT WORDS TO DESCRIBE WHAT I SAW OUR MY EXPERANCE.

THURSDAT AUGUST 13TH

This morning after Breakfast we where picked up @ 9:15am and taken to the Castle and Coronation Cathedral high on top of Wawel Hill. We had a new English speaking guide Anna Kaiser (much better than yesterday).WE started our long walk at least three hr. We walked up the long hill to Castle and the Coronation cathedral Vary impressive as to its beauty. If any of our Synagogues would have all that gold and silver we would have no money problems. After this walked down hill Kazimier the former Jewish Section, where the old buildings remain intact. Jewish sighing every ware. Be fore the war there where over 64,000 Jews living in Krakow now only 142

We had Lunch at a Jewish Restraint (Not Kosher) Then to the Remuh Synagogue where Jews still worship today ,The smallest and most active dating back to 1553 and next store the old Cemetery which was in use until 1800.The holy burial ground was spared by the ****s because many of the stones had been buried to avoid desecration. Most fames of the stones the tomb of the 16th century Rabbi Moses Isseries better know as the Remuh. Then we walked past the Helena Rubinstein House where she was to have bean born (She was too good for those that lived there and the house has not bean restored. There are many Restraints in the areas and shops. We then wend to the 14th Century Alt Synagogue restored to house the Museum of Jewish History and Culture We also walked by the Isaac,s Synagogue. We could also see the Synagogue Temple whish is also used today (Reformed). We also walked by the only Kosher Restraint

And Hotel only to find out only TV dinners. Than at last Back into the van for a drive to Oskar Schindler’s former factory. At about 5:30pm. Back to the Hotel (MY FEET HERT)

FRIDAY AUGUST 14th

After breakfast @about 9:00am picked up for the long drive to Budapest Cross the Slovak border checked in to the hotel (Marriott situated overlooking the beautiful Danube arriving about 6:00pm. (Not having enough time to attend evening services at the DOHANY STREET SYNAGOGUE, the largest in Europe until 2006) We found a listing for a Restaurant ROSENSTEIN (home maid cooking traditional Jewish dishes) we caught a cab and went there to find it closed (maybe out of business) The cab driver than took us to OSTERIA a restaurant down the street from the Synagogue. There was a group from California of 4 couples there to catch a River Boat on Sun., that had just left the Friday night services. Cherie had a 100% Vegetarian Minestrone Soup and I had roasted Duck (very good). Then back to the hotel for a good nights rest after that long hard ride uncomfortable ride to get here.

SATURDAY AUGUST 15TH

Up early this morning breakfast caught a cab to be at Shabbat services at the Dohany Street Synagogue @9:30am, beautiful building in side and out. A little like Plum Street Temple in Cincinnati.

The service was very strange not reformed or orthodox, the woman sat speared on each side and the men in the middle. Asked that woman cover up men cover there heads. They preformed the whole service in Hebrew as in an orthodox synagogue; they played the organ and had a quire. The cloth hanging down in front of the Aaron Kodesh had a electric motor to lift it and behind two large cold colored doors to be opened.

It gave the impression they where putting on a big Hollywood production (some what disappointing).

After returning to the hotel we chose to not to go on the walking tour of Budapest the Capital of Hungary. We chose to take a open bus tour with 14 stops on both sides of the River Pest & Buda which was vary relaxing and informative.

This evening we are to be picked up @ 6:45 for a Gala Dinner at Hungary’s world-famous Gundel Restaurant (must weir a jacket). The dinner was extra special and excellent (The Menu, Wine Red & White plus A toast with some sparkle, Platter of leaf Salad with house dressing blue cheese, the favorite soup of Franz Joseph (Potato), Sautéed Breast of chicken with Julienne of Mushroom Pancake, The classic Crepe a’la Gundel and Coffee. Now for the big Surprise To day was Cherie’s Birthday I had made arrangements for a Birthday cake months ago. To my surprise the there were 4 strolling musicians playing string instruments and one sitting down playing something that looked like a piano by hitting the top with pitons on the strings. Cherie was ecstatic and I again had tears in my eyes. We also got up and danced.

After we left the Restraint we stopped at Heres’Square at night.

And then to the Hotel for a good night’s sleep.

SUNDAY AUGAST 16TH

After breakfast meet in the lobby with the rest of our group for a full-day of sightseeing tour of Budapest by bus, including a walking Tour of (Jewish Heritage) the Jewish Quarter of Budapest. And lunch on Castle Hill in Buda. We than

At 8:00 pm meet again for a Scenic Boat Cruise of the Blue River Danube aglow at night.

MONDAY AUGUST 17TH

Have to be ready and packed in lobby of hotel @6:30am to transfer to airport to catch flight to Prague at 8:55am on CZECH AIRLINES arriving at about 10:15am. Met at Baggage clam buy our privet guide and driver. Transfer to the Hotel Intercontinental. At 2pm picked up at the hotel by guide and driver for a city tour of Prague plus a three walking tour of the Prague Castle, plus a breathtaking view of the City from the very top of the Castle. You can see one of the many bridges that cross the Vltava River from our Hotel Room. After returning to the Hotel and a little rest @ about 6:30pm 5 of us walked to the oldest kosher restaurant in Prague (KING SOLOMON) Cherie was in seventh haven.

She had lame flay, I deer (Kosher) I also bought a bottle of Kosher wine, bottled in Chez Republic Baron Aaron/Gunsberger 2000. Than back to the Hotel and a good nights sleep.

TUESDAY AUGEST 18TH

At 9:00am met in the lobby of hotel for a 4hr. walking tour of the old town and Jewish Quarter visit the Jewish Museum complex, including the 13th century Alt-Neu Synagogue, Then walk the Jewish Cemetery ,dates back to the 15th century. Some of these graves can be as many as 15 one on top of each other, and date back to the 16th century Jewish Town Hall with its distinctive tower and clock with Hebrew letters (operating in reverse).

The rest of the day and tomorrow is at leisure to shop or what ever.

I stopped at corner and was helped to lay Teflon.

On the way back to the hotel and a little shopping, we stopped at the CHABAD’S Shelanu Restaurant for a light bite of lunch.

Today there are only 600 Jews that live in Prague.

Tonight we went to DINITZ KOSHER LEMEHDRIN (Restaurant) I had a stake and Cherie had Chicken Schnitzel.

WEDNESDAY AUGUST 19TH

Today is a free day except for the farewell dinner @7:15pm at the NEBOZIZEK RESTAURANT.

We opted to for an optional tour to Terezin and found the price to be somewhat prohibited @ $500 for three of us. We found a tour though the Concierge at the hotel with Whittman Tours (The only authentic Czech Jewish tour operator) @$70 per person. We are to be picked up at 10.00am for the 6hr. tour (Terezin is the former “model” concentration camp) This camp is described by survivors as the waiting to hell. Our guide was vary good Marketa Trojanova (Trojanova.m@seznam.cz)

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

• 1 month later...
:)JUST BOOKED TULIPS & WINDMILLS

Ship River Duchess April 23rd. Brussels ( Antwerp) to Amsterdam

STUR DAYTON,OHIO:)

Time is getting close anyone joining us

River Duchess April 23rd to May 3rd Tulips & Windmills

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
i will be interested to hear how you liked the cruise. We are thinking of doing this itinerary in 2011 (i like to plan ahead). In 2009, we took the uniworld cruise paris and european river romance and we just loved it.

almost a month away we leave home april 22 brussels and board the river duchess on april 24th,2010

cant wait

stur dayton,ohio

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Stur,

well I guess it's still just the two of us.

We'll take the train from Brussels to Antwerp on Saturday 24th. We should be on board by 13:00 (at least to drop off our luggage and maybe have a snack in the lounge before venturing off to explore Antwerp on foot).

See you onboard :)

I got a list of the optionals with prices from Uniworld.

Here are the optional for the Tulips and Windmills.

Half day Brussels city tour

EXCURSION LENGTH

5 hours

DRIVING DISTANCE

4 hours

WALKING DISTANCE

15 minutes

FREE TIME

45 minutes

SIGHTSEEING INCLUDES

Arrive in Brussels for a panoramic drive through the city. See the Royal Residence, Chinese Pavilion,

Japanese Pagoda, Royal Botanical Gardens, Heysel Park, Royal Church of Laken, etc.

Photostop: Column of Congress, Tomb of Unknown Soldier

Drive along Rue de la Loi: Federal Parliament, House of Lord Byron, Us & Swiss Embassy, Royal Park

Debark coach in Rue Lombard for a 15 min. walking tour.

Free time.

Return to ship

LEVEL

Intermediate

PRICE (EURO)

Passenger credit card will be charged in Euro

PRICE (USD)

$

Exchange rate is current at the time of publication

IMPORTANT NOTE

All prices listed are per person and are current at the time of publication.

Prices are subject to change and optional tours may vary.

Minimum participation is required to operate tours.

Delft

EXCURSION LENGTH

4 hours 10 minutes

DRIVING DISTANCE

1 hour 30 minutes

WALKING DISTANCE

1 hour 40 minutes

FREE TIME

1 hour

SIGHTSEEING INCLUDES

Short panoramic tour of Rotterdam on the way to Delft

Arrive Delft Old Town, get off coach for a short guided walk

including outside explanation of Nieuwe Kerk = New Church, market square with Town Hall and Vermeer's House

(Passengers who wish to go inside the Nieuwe Kerk can do so on their own during free time)

Free time around Market Square

Meet at bus for short transfer to Royal Delft Porcelain Factory (Porcelain Fles)

Guided tour of Royal Delft Porcelain Factory (see painters at work, plus get explanations on history & tradition, view

some famous pieces - i.e. Rembrandt's Night watch made out of tiles)

Time for shopping at gift shop (has original Delft Blue Porcelain as well as others)

Transfer back to ship

LEVEL

Intermediate

PRICE (EURO)

PRICE (USD)

$

IMPORTANT NOTE

Bulbgrower Experience

EXCURSION LENGTH

4 hours

DRIVING DISTANCE

1 hour 30 minutes

WALKING DISTANCE

2 hours 30 minutes

FREE TIME

n/a

SIGHTSEEING INCLUDES

Depart from ship with local guide.

Drive to the flower fields between Enkhuizen and Hoorn

(blooming season cannot be predicted precisely, when in bloom endless colorful fields full of scent)

Exclusive access to the flowering fields, hear explanations of flower bulb cultivation by a bulbgrower

Transfer to a local restaurant, driving through this floricultural heartland

Enjoy coffee and apple pie in a local restaurant

Reboard coaches for short transfer

Visit the warehouses and preparation department of one of the major bulb trading companies in the area

Reboard coaches for transfer back to ship in Enkhuizen

LEVEL

Intermediate

PRICE (EURO)

PRICE (USD)

$

IMPORTANT NOTE

Volendam

EXCURSION LENGTH

4 hours

DRIVING DISTANCE

1 hour

WALKING DISTANCE

2 hours 15 minutes

FREE TIME

45 minutes

SIGHTSEEING INCLUDES

Departure from the ship.

Visit the Cheese Farm. Demonstration of the cheese making process.

Vole dam, visit the Volendam Museum with adjoining cigar bands-house and picture theatre is located in the village-center

near the old quarter and the Volendam dyke.

Walk to the restaurant. Enjoy Coffee & apple pie

Free time for shopping

Departure to Amsterdam

LEVEL

Intermediate

PRICE (EURO)

PRICE (USD)

$

IMPORTANT NOTE

Hi Stur,

well I guess it's still just the two of us.

We'll take the train from Brussels to Antwerp on Saturday 24th. We should be on board by 13:00 (at least to drop off our luggage and maybe have a snack in the lounge before venturing off to explore Antwerp on foot).

See you onboard :)

green frog

Looking foward to meeting both of you

We are starting to think of things to pack

we leave a week from Thursday and arrive in Brussels on Friday morning the 23rd

We have made arragements for a privet driver and car for Brussels in the afternoon to pick us up at the Hotel

SEE YOU SOON

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Thanks gnome12. Very useful info.

I am a gardening nut. I specifically chose the Tulips and Windmills itinerary to see Keukenhof and fields upon fields of spring bulbs in bloom in the countryside. The Bulb Growers Experience optional tour would be another highlight of the cruise for me.....hope sufficient number of passengers sign up to make it a go.

I booked the 24th Apr departure with the idea that I would get 2 spring-blooming seasons this year: Holland in Apr and Ottawa in May. Unfortunately, with their cold winter that delayed blooming, and our unusually warm winter/early spring that is hastening our blooms, it looks like our spring-bloom season is actually over-lapping theirs :( Our tulips will be well-passed their prime (probably totally finished blooming) by the time the Ottawa Tulip Festival rolls around.

My one trip to Ottawa for the Tulip Festival (I admit I came for Victoria Day weekend at the end) unfortunately was just after a huge storm, and I saw fields of stems with no petals!

Oh well, it looks like I will see lots of flowers in Holland.

Nomi

Today is Saturday April 17th and we leave on Thursday April 22 if all goes well

at presant nothing is flying out of th U.S to Europe

Delta Air said every thing is Canceled untill Tuesday the 22nd because of the Volcano

We have waited a long time to take this trip and hope to see the tulip's

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Hi Stur,

TA got some info from Uniworld this morning. I put it in the "Stuck in Cincinnati" post.

Things don't look very good for DH and I making that cruise. We'll be very disappointed....but given the chance, we'd rather rebook than risk getting stuck in Europe (travel to/from Europe will be at the mercy of that volcano for months to come)

And can you imagine what a zoo the airports (and the planes) are going to be when air travel finally resumes!!!!

We are booked to leave Thursday the 22 Dayton to Atlanta to Brussels

Today @ about 5pm the first flight to Brussels will depart Atlanta If all goses well we will be on that flight on Thursday (If it gets canceled we will be unable to get to Brussels to conect on the river boat River Duchess since all flights arr all booked up becausr of over flow)

If we are unable to conect with the River Boat We will try to Fly to Amsterdam when the Sky's open up and spend the time there untill we go to Paris on May 4th

(We do have insurance fo the River Boat part of our Trip and will just transfer to anouther River Boat Trip Later on )

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

We left home at noon on Monday and got as far as Montreal, before turning around and coming back home, with no way of making it to the cruise for Saturday’s embarkation. :(

All morning we kept checking on flights status on Swiss.com (Montreal-Zurich and connection Zurich-Brussells the next morning). Although all other major airlines had already cancelled their transcontinental flights to Europe, Swiss kept showing it on schedule, as well as our connection to Brussells. So we had no choice but to head to Ottawa Airport for the first leg of our trip.

When we arrived at Montreal Airport, the departure screens showed the Montreal-Zurich flight delayed until 8:00 pm (we later found out that this was to coincide with airspace reopening in Zurich after 10:00 am on Tuesday). Swiss agents also told us that our connecting flight to Brussells was cancelled (it was scheduled before 10:00 am on Tuesday) and in order to board the Swiss flight to Zurich, all passengers were required to sign a waiver stating:

“I hereby take notice that due to the implications of the volcanic ash cloud in Europe on air Traffic, Zurich Airport is overcrowded with stranded passengers and hotel facilities in/around Zurich are very limited. Additionally, a closure of Zurich Airport might be expected at any time.

I also take notice that if SWISS would carry me to Zurich, I could be stranded there as my connecting flight to the final/another destination could be cancelled at any time due to closures of European Air Space.

Therefore I agree and accept that SWISS will not carry me to my final destination as scheduled on my ticket and I hereby waive any claim for accommodation and compensation according to Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004”

We contacted Aeropan (we were flying on ff points). They were unable to re-route or rebook us at any other time to make it to Antwerp by Saturday for embarkatiom.

So instead of getting stranded in Zurich (and possibly in Amsterdam on the way back) we opted to cancel the rest of the trip and returned home. The tulips and windmills will still be there next year....and we didn't feel that it was worth all the aggravation and stress under the current circumstances.

Note that Aeroplan re-instated our points (minus the one-way Ottawa-Montreal) and waived the usual reinstatement fee. In recognition of the very special circumstances, Expedia.ca also re-imbursed us the full cost of Brussels and Amsterdam hotels, even though we had booked them at non-refundable “Special Expedia Rate”. That leaves us only the cost of the cruise to claim from our travel insurance. The paperwork is underway and they don’t anticipate any problems with the approval of the claim (they have lots of clients in the same “boat”) .

Another point to note is that they are covering it under Trip Cancellation/Interruption for “weather conditions”. Natural disaster is also a covered event but it must be at the “place of destination”. If our destination was Iceland, I assume it would’ve been covered under “natural disaster”.

I hope that you do get to board the Duchess next Saturday and that you have a fantastic cruise.

We are on the River Duchess right now. It seems most if not all the flights are going OK. We get off on Saturday and we understand everyone leaving has good flights. The trip is GREAT. THe flowers in Keukenhof will be at their hight when you visit. Good luck.

Archived