HAL Chocolate Volcano Cake

bushwhacker

I posted that recipe here on this board last week.

I'll look back to find the thread.

I think it is in a thread titled something like....."Sage, waiting for the recipe" and it was started by Heather.

Here you go: Just found it. (We discussed last week how many servings. The recipe is not marked. The Grand Marnier Cream is 8 generous servings but I think the cake is more like 12 .....I simply am not sure.

post_old.gif December 20th, 2004, 09:15 AM

sail7seas user_invisible.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_2591601", true);

Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

icon1.gif

Obviously, I am not Sage but you have waited patiently so if you do not mind, I shall post the recipe.

(Recipe can be halved/quartered)

Chocolate Volcano Cake (Pinnacle Grill)

3 lbs. butter

2 lbs chocolate bittersweet

1 lb 4 oz sugar

10 whole eggs

10 whole egg yolks

10 whole egg whites

vanilla

salt

13 oz flour

5 oz cocoa powder

5 tsp baking powder

3 oz Grand Marnier

orange zest

Melt together 2 lbs butter and the bittersweet chocolate and set aside.

Mix until fluffy, 1 lbs butter and l lb sugar.

Add the whole eggs and the egg yolks one by one mixing about 30 seconds between each addition.

Add the melted butter and chocolate (it needs to be just lukewarm).

Add the grand Marnier and orange zest.

Sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.

Add to the mixture and mix for 3 minutes at high speed.

Make a meringue with the egg whites and the 4 oz sugar.

Fold into the chocolate mixutre.

Fill the Pinnacle dish with 6 oz of the mixture (glass or ramekin)

Bake at 375 degrees between 15-20 minutes. (If baking in a convection oven, bake about 12 minutes. Cake will be done on the edges but still very soft in the center).

(one portion of volcano cake is 6 oz of batter)

Grand Marnier Whipped Cream (makes 4 cups which is about 8 srvgs)

2 cups heavy cream

1/4 cup sugar

1 tsp orange zest, very finely grated

1 Tble Grand Marnier

Whip the cream and sugar until starting to form soft peaks. Add zest and liqueur and whip cream to soft peaks.

To Serve: Place ramekin on service plate. Place Grand Marnier Cream in sauce boat and sprinkler candied zest. Place boat on service plate and garnish with chocolate cigarette (twig) if you have some.

You are very welcome. I hope you enjoy it.

(When/If you make it, would you post here how many servings you got from the recipe....whether halved or quartered or whatever?)

I most certainly will let you know. However, my daughter will be making it. I just eat it. ;-)

We made the "other" volcano cake recipe (the one Sage posted). It indeed makes 6 servings (although we made only 5).

Next, we plan on scaling back the recipe posted here and will let all know which one we prefer.

As for the whipping cream - reduce the amount of Grand Marnier by half!!! It is WAY too strong (alcohol).

Since we use a compressed air whipping cream maker, we have a lot of left over whipping cream - which we are using in our hot chocolate. And let me tell you, we NEED hot chocolate this time of year. It has been sooo cold since we returned from our last cruise.

We made the "other" volcano cake recipe (the one Sage posted). It indeed makes 6 servings (although we made only 5).

Next, we plan on scaling back the recipe posted here and will let all know which one we prefer.

As for the whipping cream - reduce the amount of Grand Marnier by half!!! It is WAY too strong (alcohol).

Since we use a compressed air whipping cream maker, we have a lot of left over whipping cream - which we are using in our hot chocolate. And let me tell you, we NEED hot chocolate this time of year. It has been sooo cold since we returned from our last cruise.

Hmmmm.......

May I ask which is the actual Zuiderdam Pinnacle recipe? And what is the difference? I'm afraid I missed Sage's posting! :-(

Sorry I missed this thread, bushwhacker, but luckily Sail was on top of it. Just to clear up, both these recipes are the official HAL chocolate volcano cake, but from different chefs. Here's the thread:

Cruise Critic Message Boards - Sage, waiting for the promised secret recipe ...

If you go to post #28 you'll find Sage's recipe. She got hers from the Pinnacle Grill Chef on the Volendam and Sail got hers from the Executive Chef on another ship. So try them both and let us know which is better!:D

God they both sound good

Definately have to try this. :)

Sounds like something to make more for dessert at an intimate dinner party than what you would make for a gang of people. Although on any given HAL ship on any given night that is exactly what they do.

Supposedly this recipe is for 12 servings, I will have to think of 10 other people that I would like to have dinner and be intimate with. *LOL*

God they both sound good

Definately have to try this. :)...

Supposedly this recipe is for 12 servings, I will have to think of 10 other people that I would like to have dinner and be intimate with. *LOL*

:D :D I live but a short drive away. :D :D

Sorry I missed this thread, bushwhacker, but luckily Sail was on top of it. Just to clear up, both these recipes are the official HAL chocolate volcano cake, but from different chefs. Here's the thread:

Cruise Critic Message Boards - Sage, waiting for the promised secret recipe ...

If you go to post #28 you'll find Sage's recipe. She got hers from the Pinnacle Grill Chef on the Volendam and Sail got hers from the Executive Chef on another ship. So try them both and let us know which is better!:D

Thank you Heather! They both sound wonderful! My daughter is going to be one busy gal - LOL!

It sounds like a party for sure!!! I'm not making it for NYEve ... just too much going on and too many other desserts, but I will try it after everyone reports back about portions. Bushwacker can let us know:)

Vicar, we can have the cake when I stop to pick you up to go to Sail's before your wedding on the Maasdam next summer;) !

Now that Ruth is in the game, she can join us! Ruth, I'm shocked you never went to my chocolate recipe thread!!! Where were you?

Sure glad you got chocolate or there'd be you know what to pay:o

Works fine by me.

Vicar and his lady pick up Heather.

Go by Ruth's to get her and her supply of chocolate.

Then they head up to Boston where I shall be awaiting their arrival with Volcanoes ready to be placed in the oven the moment they pass through the doorway. After we have savor that delight, we can add our luggage to the pile; load into Vicar's now quite crowded vehicle and we head to "My" Maasdam. :) Captain will be waiting for you to present your marriage license before he performs the most romantic ceremony.

AND THEN WE PARTY!!!! (And, of course, have more, more, more volcanoes at Pinnacle).

Then when the cruise is over, we all go home and DIET!!!

Sail

This is very doable :)

However with this size of a crowd I think a limo to the pier is more in order. *LOL*

I still cannot believe that I am contemplating making a dessert after all the desserts I have had all weekend.

this will be some diet I will have to go on after we leave the Maasdam *LOL*

I have heard many good things about SB

I will just wait until after New Years and just go back to decent eating habits and back to the gym, I always allow myself a week of misbehaving during the holidays and of course when I am on a cruise. *LOL*

Heather. Don't talk foolish. Of course I was in your chocolate thread! I just couldn't type because my fingers were busy holding all that chocolate!:D

Now we've got a plan! Let me be sure I've got it right :confused: : Heather flies to Connecticut; Vicar picks her up and heads north on I-95. Then he picks me up on the way by and we all head to sail's for pre-wedding chocolate volcano cake.

Works for me. :)

Archived