Return to Class System

Sirdar

Don't forget that having a "class system" would require duplication of public rooms and the staff who run them. That would increase costs and crew space requirements. It would also reduce choice for passengers in all classes. Consider foodservice, for example: First class might get the dining room and alternative extra-cost restaurants, while economy might get the buffet-style restaurant. The couple in the $20,000 suite would no longer be able to enjoy the speed and convenience of a cafeteria unless they wanted to (and were allowed to) cross into working-class territory.

For what it's worth, passenger lines were moving away from the traditional class system back in the 1960s when there were still many ships plying the sea lanes between New York and Europe. There were still a few three-class ships (such as Cunard's Queens, which were ancient), but newer ships such as the SS FRANCE were moving to a two-class system with fewer distinctions between the classes.

It's also worth noting that the old class system existed because ships were used for transportation, not just for pleasure. An immigrant family or an exchange student would accept cramped quarters in steerage because doing so was a cheap way to get from Naples to New York or New York to France. The modern traveler on a budget who's cruising the Mediterranean or the Caribbean for pleasure isn't likely to be attracted by a ship that offers minimal deck space, bunk beds, and a toilet and shower down the hall.

[SIZE=3]The "class" system won't come back because it doesn't make money and the last I checked cruise lines are in business to make money!

The "class" system was based upon the reality of the day...crossing from one continent to another could only be accomplished one way....on a ship!

The wealthy didn't want to give up their lifestyle....the 2nd and 3rd classes just wanted to get to where they were going.

Today we have choices. We can go on low cost lines....mid-price lines... or luxury lines....if you don't like cruising with the 'riff-raff' chose the line they can't afford!

Nothing complicated about it as far as I can see.
[/SIZE]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="4"]There's really no need to further segregate ships based on class anymore, as the corporations have already divvied up their brands and fleets according to class, accommodation and service:

For CCL, Seabourn is "First Class" all the way, as is Cunard Queen's Grille.
Cunard Princess Grille, HAL PG & Deluxe Suites and Princess Suites could be considered "Concierge Class".
Cunard Britannia Class, HAL Mini Suites, Superior Suites and [I]Prinsendam[/I], Princess Minisuites, Costa Samsara/Suites & Carnival suites might be considered "Coach Plus".
HAL standard, Princess standard, P&O and some newer Costa and Carnival standard accommodations could be viewed as "Coach"...
...and Costa standard and Carnival standard in the older/smaller ships could be considered strictly "Economy".[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='middle-aged mom'][B][SIZE=3]Ascot Gavotte from My Fair Lady[/SIZE][/B]

"Ev'ry duke and earl and peer is heah
Ev'ry one who should be heah is heah
What a smashing, positively dashing
Spectacle: the Ascot Op'ning Day."

[B][SIZE=3]Penthouse Pirouette from HAL;)[/SIZE][/B]

Oh, it's shocking that we have to scrounge
In the common ground of the Neptune Lounge,
We are screaming that despite all our scheming
We can't seem to get fixed seating yet.

Oh, it's hard to be a Vee Eye Pee
Always asking for prioriteee,
Let the rabble be the ones to scrabble
[B][I]We[/I][/B] shouldn't have to fuss or fume or fret.[/quote]

I hate to punch a hole into your 'pirouette' but one of the perks of the Deluxe Suites and Penthouses is confirmed dining. If there's a waitlist when you book, ask the reservation agent to contact the Ship Services department who can force confirm you... :D

[quote name='bepsf'][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="4"]There's really no need to further segregate ships based on class anymore, as the corporations have already divvied up their brands and fleets according to class, accommodation and service:

For CCL, Seabourn is "First Class" all the way, as is Cunard Queen's Grille.
Cunard Princess Grille, HAL PG & Deluxe Suites and Princess Suites could be considered "Concierge Class".
Cunard Britannia Class, HAL Mini Suites, Superior Suites and [I]Prinsendam[/I], Princess Minisuites, Costa Samsara/Suites & Carnival suites might be considered "Coach Plus".
HAL standard, Princess standard, P&O and some newer Costa and Carnival standard accommodations could be viewed as "Coach"...
...and Costa standard and Carnival standard in the older/smaller ships could be considered strictly "Economy".[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

That is it in a nutshell.

I suppose I think of cruiselines as mass market, premium and luxury, but your typology works fine.

I have often thought cruiselines use these typologies to justify minimum levels of service. So, if you want a nicer cabin? Not here. - You should have bought a ticket on a premium line. You want an actual steak on your dinner plate? You should have thought of that when you chose not to pony-up for a luxury cruiseline.

As young and ambitious corporate suits wanting a key to the executive washroom try to find ways to squeeze more revenue out of pax, enter suite decks and lounges and butlers and alternate dining and perks etc on non-luxury lines and now the nice typology breaks down.

As things stand I can see how people might see a class structure firming up.

It was ever so, its just that it is becoming more visible.

Smooth sailing...

Of course it's ridiculous to assume that money and class go together. In fact, some of the wealthier folks are often the ones who behave the worst because they're convinced that having money means that "it's all about me!"

Years ago a relative of mine acquired a bit of money and was able to move to a "nicer" neighborhood. She's still wondering which of her "nice" neighbors poisoned her little dog (in her own backyard no less).

[quote name='barrackman'][COLOR=blue]Hey Sirdar...nice to see you stiring things up again. Just to set the record straight, having sailed with the OP, ....not a snob and very classy. Provocateur? You bet. Well done........Ciao:)[/COLOR][/quote]

Hi Michael!! Thanks for coming to my defense! I'll contact you through alternate means.:)

Glad to see my fellow CC members are so passionate, funny etc. Perhaps all theupsell perks today should be included in a single package where you get a Pinnacle grill table, a reserved lounge chair by the pool (or wherever) and all the rest-and a guarantee from thel ine that they will actually enforce the rules.:)

[quote name='Sirdar']...and a guarantee from thel ine that they will actually enforce the rules.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="4"]But HAL won't enforce their own rules.

They got BillyBob and Iona Trailer to book a last minute Caribbean or Mexico cruise for $75/day - and they think that by enforcing the rules ("Please, no shorts and t-shirts in the dining room on Formal Night, Sir") that they'll somehow "Offend" them and they won't fulfill the projections/hopes of $1000/person/week onboard spending and returning to HAL for a Grand World Voyage.[/SIZE][/FONT]
:cool:

[quote name='sailorboy05']I thought the days of elitism were over in this country. Or, could it be the OP is an "elected official"? They're the only people I know who consider themselves above the masses.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="4"]I'd reply - but this forum is about cruising, not politics.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Sirdar'][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]After reading so many comments on this board (and others) about problems with cruising and fellow cruisers, it occurred to me that at least one line that Carnival owns (perhaps HAL) should return to a “class” structure. Why not have rigidly defined 1st and 2nd class passengers? First class would have their own decks for pool, spa, dining (Pinnacle Grill type food) etc. The lower class would have the standard (or sub standard) offerings. With the size of ships ever increasing, it should be easy to segment portions to meet the different, needs, expectations and pocket books of passengers without the endless requiements to make upgraded dinner reservations or get out on deck to reserve lounge chairs at 6AM. This used to be the norm --why not back to the future?[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
I wonder if they will start selling seats in a lounge rather than a cabin. Like when taking the train, you can either sit in the big car with rows of seats, or get a room with a bed and bath.

Perhaps if they offered seats that reclined in a lounge, plug-ins for head sets (at an extra charge) and brought around sandwiches and kool-aid three times a day... A public bathroom, access to the deck when you wanted to stretch your legs. Sleep in the seats, and enjoy the ports when you get there.

Charge for sandwiches, charge for kool-aid. Rent a life vest. Drop a quarter to unlock the bathroom stall.

Archived