Return to Class System

Sirdar

After reading so many comments on this board (and others) about problems with cruising and fellow cruisers, it occurred to me that at least one line that Carnival owns (perhaps HAL) should return to a “class” structure. Why not have rigidly defined 1st and 2nd class passengers? First class would have their own decks for pool, spa, dining (Pinnacle Grill type food) etc. The lower class would have the standard (or sub standard) offerings. With the size of ships ever increasing, it should be easy to segment portions to meet the different, needs, expectations and pocket books of passengers without the endless requiements to make upgraded dinner reservations or get out on deck to reserve lounge chairs at 6AM. This used to be the norm --why not back to the future?

After reading so many comments on this board (and others) about problems with cruising and fellow cruisers, it occurred to me that at least one line that Carnival owns (perhaps HAL) should return to a “class” structure. Why not have rigidly defined 1st and 2nd class passengers? First class would have their own decks for pool, spa, dining (Pinnacle Grill type food) etc. The lower class would have the standard (or sub standard) offerings. With the size of ships ever increasing, it should be easy to segment portions to meet the different, needs, expectations and pocket books of passengers without the endless requiements to make upgraded dinner reservations or get out on deck to reserve lounge chairs at 6AM. This used to be the norm --why not back to the future?

No argument from me!

The lower class would have substandard offerings, you say? A bit snooty, isn't it? Would you want substandard offerings? Just wondering. Why bother cruising at all if you'd be placed in steerage.:confused:

"One line that Carnival Owns" does use the "class system" Cunard Line.

I don't think a "class system" would eliminate the issues most people complain about. The desire to dress "how I want" regardless of the guidelines is not limited to people who do not want to spend a lot of money. There are surely suite passengers that have the same attitude. The same with the "chair hogs" at the pools...Having smaller pools limited to a certain "class" of cabins would not make people more respectful of their fellow passengers.

In today's world WEALTH does not equal "CLASS".

If the cruise lines simple enforce their guidelines there would be little to no issue.

This is a joke, isn't it? Surely no one in today's society can really believe that money is an accurate indication of appropriate behaviour or elevated sensibilities?

If this isn't a joke or a social commentary, please take your soft manicured hand out of your wallet and slap yourself upside the head.

Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

forgive me, but really, what a snob!:mad: If you want "higher class" then sail on the ships that are designed for the "higher class". :rolleyes:

Back in the day of steerage and non-steerage ... I surmise the First Class accommodations were generally for the well-heeled (think the Rockefellers, Carnegies, Astors, etc.), while the steerage class was allocated for those who, in general, were migrating from untenable circumstances in their home country (think wars, repression, extreme poverty, discrimination).

The only possible reason I could see, in today's world, to have a steerage class would be as a means of assisting people around the world out of unbearable life stations ... the poverty and unrest in Haiti, the genocide and camps in Darfur, the Myanmarese from the refugee camps Thailand wants to empty and close. Even then, I question the wisdom of such class distinctions on a cruiseship.

This is a joke, isn't it? Surely no one in today's society can really believe that money is an accurate indication of appropriate behaviour or elevated sensibilities?

If this isn't a joke or a social commentary, please take your soft manicured hand out of your wallet and slap yourself upside the head.

I concur!

As K.R. Curt said Carnival already owns a Cruise Line which has the class system...That is CUNARD..

Believe the OP is trying to be funny...There is absolutely no reason to be nasty & insulting to the OP...:(

Betty

Thanks Betty. I would use the word "provocative" rather than "funny". Underlying the "suggestion" is the feeling that with all of the endless upsells now offered (sanctuaries, specialty restaurants, cabanas, butlers, clamshells) it would be much easier to offer all of this at one price in a separate class while those uniterested or unable to afford this stuff had the less expensive option offered. I agree that if the rules regarding dress codes and chair hogging were enforced (let alone rampaging children) a lot of these discussions wouldn't take place. but we all know that this won't happen-so why not a system that can promote this and where adherence to standards would not only be expected but enforced.

PS: To the poster who knocked "New Joisey"-I'll bet you no nothing of where I live.

Ascot Gavotte from My Fair Lady

"Ev'ry duke and earl and peer is heah

Ev'ry one who should be heah is heah

What a smashing, positively dashing

Spectacle: the Ascot Op'ning Day."

Penthouse Pirouette from HAL;)

Oh, it's shocking that we have to scrounge

In the common ground of the Neptune Lounge,

We are screaming that despite all our scheming

We can't seem to get fixed seating yet.

Oh, it's hard to be a Vee Eye Pee

Always asking for prioriteee,

Let the rabble be the ones to scrabble

We shouldn't have to fuss or fume or fret.

That's the difference between logic and emotions. We all remember the "good old days" of bygone eras with nostalgia and a sense of loss (even

though our memories aren't always very accurate). I would agree with

the sense of how refined or gentile ocean travel once was. Many modern

sailors prefer the teake and brass of the old ships, cloth chairs, art etc.

Logically, we realize that we cannot and probably do not want to return to those times. We don't always consider class divisions in their entire

context...a wistful romantic notion that makes you feel all is well for just

the briefest of moments....I love the feeling...just wish we could spread

it over the entire ship....if their weren't so many jerks screwing it up:eek:

Just joking, lighten up:p

This is a joke, isn't it? Surely no one in today's society can really believe that money is an accurate indication of appropriate behaviour or elevated sensibilities? If this isn't a joke or a social commentary, please take your soft manicured hand out of your wallet and slap yourself upside the head.

:D I agree.

I sailed many times when the old class system was the rule ... and you were restricted in your ability to go to various areas of the ship. Currently Cunard does not have a true class system. On my recent Cundard cruise being in the cheapest seats (as it were) the only thing one could not do was go to some dining areas... and who wanted to? Dining rooms tied to cabin price ... otherwise we all share the same bars, libraries, lounges. And, I might mention that in the past's class systems the best parties were always in the tourist class lounges. The first class passengers used to sneak down to join us!!!

Susan

Penthouse Pirouette from HAL;)

Oh, it's shocking that we have to scrounge

In the common ground of the Neptune Lounge,

We are screaming that despite all our scheming

We can't seem to get fixed seating yet.

Oh, it's hard to be a Vee Eye Pee

Always asking for prioriteee,

Let the rabble be the ones to scrabble

We shouldn't have to fuss or fume or fret.

LOL! Author!

I applaud you! (To paraphrase the Beatles, the suite passengers can just rattle their jewellery)

Perhaps they could sell one color wrist band that means you won't be asked to buy anything else and another that would give you free access to everything. Gosh, actually I would pay for the first one on SOME cruise lines. :-)

If the cruise lines simple enforce their guidelines there would be little to no issue.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Rock on! oops, I mean "Right on!"

Your cooperation is greatly appreciated..

Back in the day of steerage and non-steerage ... I surmise the First Class accommodations were generally for the well-heeled (think the Rockefellers, Carnegies, Astors, etc.), while the steerage class was allocated for those who, in general, were migrating from untenable circumstances in their home country (think wars, repression, extreme poverty, discrimination).

The only possible reason I could see, in today's world, to have a steerage class would be as a means of assisting people around the world out of unbearable life stations ... the poverty and unrest in Haiti, the genocide and camps in Darfur, the Myanmarese from the refugee camps Thailand wants to empty and close. Even then, I question the wisdom of such class distinctions on a cruiseship.

The class system exists everywhere - sometimes it's cash, sometimes its a name/position & sometimes its both..even on cruiseships - S/PH paxs get better treatment/considerations than those in regular cabins...It will ever be thus! RCL now gives out 'gold' cards to suite pax - wonder why? :)

It is disguised by the cruiselines in offering everyone access to the ship generally (except on certain cruiselines who do have a 'first' class section..NCL on some ships, for example, offers an exclusive area to those in higher ranked cabins)..but most cruiselines give out 'perks' to those who spend more on their accomodation...

Only Carnival seems to adhere to a basically classless system - Suite paxs just get bigger cabins although even they allow the S paxs enhanced boarding..

The class system exists & isn't hard to find if u look..Try wearing raggety clothes yourself & have someone else 'dressed to the nines' and enter a jewellery store together and I'll just bet I can guess who gets the attention..:)

Happy cruises & lots of 'em :)

"One line that Carnival Owns" does use the "class system" Cunard Line.

I don't think a "class system" would eliminate the issues most people complain about. The desire to dress "how I want" regardless of the guidelines is not limited to people who do not want to spend a lot of money. There are surely suite passengers that have the same attitude. The same with the "chair hogs" at the pools...Having smaller pools limited to a certain "class" of cabins would not make people more respectful of their fellow passengers.

Folks can be classy & have nothing & those with lots can be real 'duds' - I so agree! It isn't money that denotes 'class' - it is manners & respect!

Unfortunately, while I agree with u, cruiselines won't enforce their rules because they are watching the bottom line and need even the 'classless' to cruise to make $ so aren't willing to risk offending anyone!

Perhaps for this reason alone the OP has a point, for those willing to pay for it why not designate a few ships to a higher cost & perks..?

If it doesn't work the cruiselines will abandon the idea in rapid fashion but who knows there may be a chance to make $ here..and that's what has always been first and foremost..!

Why shld others object when the majority of ships wld remain basically 'classless'..:)

Happy cruises & lots of 'em :)

Archived