Is the Jewel too old?

We have cruised on several lines, and we are thinking about booking our first cruise on RCL.

We were looking at the 10 day in January on the Jewel. Goes to the Panama Canal, (not through) and then up through Central America and Mexico.

Here's my question: Is the Jewel too old? Would our money be better spent on a 7 day eastern carribean cruise on one of RCL's new mega ships?

We have done Eastern, Southern and Western. This one offers ports we haven't seen, but we are not big port people... usually just get off and look around. We truly enjoy the ships... which I why I am wondering about the mega ships. OR are they TOO large?

Your comments are appreciated.

I personally don't think that any ship less than 20 years old would be bad at all. Have never been on the Jewel, but I don't know why it would be bad at all. There are several ships well over 30 years old still sailing safely, however, may not be much longer due to updated safety regs. Any ship built since 1990 should have all of the latest safety equipment, and don't forget that ships must pass USCG inspections periodically.

The Jewel of the Seas is a beautiful and elegantly looking ship. We sailed on her over Thanksgiving break 2007 with our two boys ages 11 & 16 at the time. They also very much enjoyed the ship. The CD wasn't that great but other than that it's just amazing. Check out some pics on webshots. Their adult only area pool is magical, the lounge in the back of the ship (can't remember the name)has such beautiful woodwork. It makes you feel like you are on a true luxury liner. I would sail her again and I've sailed over 30(+) times and a Diamond member of RCCL.:)

You won't be disappointed unless you are a party animal and like the spring break college type atmosphere. Truly a classy ship~

We took a 12 day repo cruise on the Jewel from Boston to Ft.Lauderdale in Oct. /Nov. of '06. We absolutely loved the ship!! We are not big fans of the "mega" ships (did the Adventurer and way too big) we like the size of the Radiance class ships which Jewel is one of the them. The other two are the Radiance and the Serenade. The Jewel is a beautiful ship with lots of glass. It offers glass elevators and riding them is a great experience. It is also easy to get around. We enjoyed the Seaview cafe which is located on Deck 12!! The crew were really great when we were on that cruise too.

I don't think you would be disappointed if you choose the Jewel and the itinerary. We did a partial transit and enjoyed it very much. In Oct. we are doing a full transit on the Serenade. This will be our second time on the Serenade. We did Hawaii in Oct. 07 on her. You can see we are small ship cruisers. However, you may get those that love the mega ships with all that they offer. It's just a matter of what size ship you feel comfortable on. My vote: The Jewel. Happy deciding.

Carol

I guess you can best answer your own question, but here's my take from having been on both classes of ships. The Jewel will offer many amenities - several eating choices, nice shops, a mini-golf course, rock wall, choices of bars and entertainment venues. It's a beautiful ship with lots of glass. It will not, however, have the indoor promenade, ice rink and flowrider (Freedom Class only as of now). There will be plenty to do on both ships. If you are really into ships and don't really care about the ports, then I would recommend a Freedom Class Ship to you. (Or, of course, the Oasis since she'll be available in January too. No end of new stuff on her.)

Jewel came into service in 2004. That's not old by any stretch of the imagination.

Perhaps your question is more, "is there enough for us to do on Jewel?" The answer to that, of course, depends on what you like to do. The Radiance class ships don't have ice skating rinks or Flowriders, but they have the rock climbing wall (as do all RCI ships), miniature golf, a very good gym and other activities. They have plenty of bars, the Solarium is terrific, the Colony Club has very cool self-levelling pool tables.

For us, there's plenty to do and the ship is just gorgeous, my favorite RCI ship of all.:)

We just got back from a 12 day on the Jewel to the British Isles and the Norwegian fjords. It was our second time on this ship, the last time being 2 yrs ago. It was just as nice now is it was then. Fabulous shape in my opinion! They really do a great job of keeping things maintained. You'll love it. I personally prefer this size ship over the bigger ones so perhaps I'm biased. But if you're asking if the ship is still in good shape, she is!

Leslie

We just sailed the Jewel this past March to Panama. I had the same thoughts concerning its age. We had previously sailed on Voyager when it was five years old, after sailing on Explorer when it was only two. Voyager (at that time) was REALLY looking worn compared to Explorer, so we thought the Jewel might be similar considering it was the same age. We were wrong...the Jewel looked like new, and it is a gorgeous ship. Our favorite thus far, as was the destination.

How you could consider a ship that has only been sailing since 2004 and is one of the most popular ships in the RCI fleet, "old" boggles the mind. :confused: Radiance class ships, like Jewel of the Seas, are so beloved that many cruisers have lobbied the line to build more ships of this size and design. Cruise ships, especially those belonging to the major cruiselines, are meticulously maintained and have decades of longevity in them.

The fact that ships, many bigger and featuring more bells and whistles, have been built since the Jewel was introduced does not make her "old" by any measure.

I understand that there is a breed of cruiser who believes that only the newest and the biggest ships are worthy of their consideration, but most veteran cruisers set their standards a bit differently. If I were you, I would definitely consider any itinerary that the Jewel is sailiing as worthy and I firmly believe that should you actually sail on her, you will know that the answer to your question is "definitely not":)

We have cruised on several lines, and we are thinking about booking our first cruise on RCL.

We were looking at the 10 day in January on the Jewel. Goes to the Panama Canal, (not through) and then up through Central America and Mexico.

Here's my question: Is the Jewel too old? Would our money be better spent on a 7 day eastern carribean cruise on one of RCL's new mega ships?

We have done Eastern, Southern and Western. This one offers ports we haven't seen, but we are not big port people... usually just get off and look around. We truly enjoy the ships... which I why I am wondering about the mega ships. OR are they TOO large?

Your comments are appreciated.

The Jewel is not only my favorite ship, but that was the best cruise I have ever been on. Hands down.

How you could consider a ship that has only been sailing since 2004 and is one of the most popular ships in the RCI fleet, "old" boggles the mind. :confused:

That reminds me.....I sort of miss the old liners of yesteryear. I wish I could have sailed the Norway. I'm fascinated by some of the old dames....the original Queens, Normandie, Ile de France, etc. I sure hope that NCL can refurbish the United States and bring it back to it's original glory. Not sure why they bought it, but I hope they don't screw it up. That ship has been mothballed for 40 years, and would obviously need to be completely rebuilt, re-engined, etc, but I bet she would be an awesome sight to her sail into harbor!

I don't believe you would be disappointed with the Jewel, we did back to back cruises on her two years ago and four years ago and always found her in good order. We were considering Celebrity's new Equinox for Mar 29th, 2010 but the Jewel is offering a similar itinerary for the March 26th sailing so now we are undecided.

Last year and three years ago we cruised on the Celebrity Galaxy which was built in 1996 in Papenburg Germany the same yard as the Jewel and we were not disappointed with the Galaxy. She certainly didn't have all the amenities of the newer vessels but you will have to match the cruise experience you are seeking with the vessel and itinerary that can offer it.

Good luck I am sure you will be happy with the vessel and cruise you choose.

Oh my goodness...NO....The Jewel is NOT too old!! She is the newest of the Radiance Class ships and, by far, our favorite of all of RCI's ships. We sail on the bigger ships, but are not fans of them. The Radiance Class ships are so special. Beautiful vistas to the sea everywhere you look. She is perfect for the Panama Canal. You will love it!!

The Jewel is beautiful. The Radiance class is my favorite size ship. We sailed on her in late April and I did not notice any worn areas. I think the adult pool areas on the Radiance class are much nicer than the Voyager class.

I can't speak for newer mega ships as the Voyager class is as large as I want to go.

We were on the Jewel for a partial Panama Canal transit just this past April, and she was in great shape. There is LOTS of glass on this ship, so the vistas of the sea or whatever else are stunning. We had a great time.

. . . the Radiance class are much nicer than the Voyager class. . . .

And Jewel is newer than any Voyager class ship. Mariner is the newest of the Voyager class with its maiden voayage in November 2003. Jewel's maiden voyage was April 2004.

TOO OLD!!!!! Surely you jest. Those 4 Radiance class ships are the best that RCL has ever built and they are kept in A1 condition. We are cruising again on Radiance in November, and she is the oldest of the 4.

As to comparing her to the megaship behemoths of today - well there is a big difference and because of those differences we choose not to cruise on them. Those with promenades remind me of shopping malls and you lose sight almost completely of the fact that you are on a ship out on the ocean UGH GRR:(

Too old...HAHAHAAaaa....seriously? The Radiance Class is the best IMHO, and most of the Radiance ships are newer than the Voyager Class ships so NO, she's not too old. She's 5 or something. :p

This post just got me way excited for our 5 day Jewel from Boston to Bermuda on Oct 22nd. We could go on the Explorer from New Jersey for $100 cheaper but I'm paying more to experience the Jewel. Nothing like having 1/2 the ship made out of glass to enjoy life at sea. :D Also LOVE the solarium, as others have posted, the pool table, the Seaview Cafe, the outdoor Windjammer, the Colony Club....and don't forget the rotating bar in the Viking Crown!!!

-Laura

speaking of the jewel. i have asked around about the cabin we have for our march, 2010 cruise. so far i have been happy with the answer. now i want to find out if anyone has actually stayed in cabin 1104. this is the cabin we booked. now i asked a question a few weeks ago about the noise from the windjammer above. i would say about 90% of people said the noise isn't a problem. i was happy to hear that. we love aft cabins and we have had them on the voyager, freedom, navigator and liberty but have never with an open air windjammer balcony. if someone has been in 1104 on the jewel please tell me your thoughts on the noise (if any) from above. thanks very much.....

Having sailed on Jewel 18 mos ago, she is a beautiful and well maintained ship. But here's my thoughts: the Radiance Class is for chillin', Voyager and Freedom Class is for doin' ( as in doing stuff where the ship is the destination).

speaking of the jewel. i have asked around about the cabin we have for our march, 2010 cruise. so far i have been happy with the answer. now i want to find out if anyone has actually stayed in cabin 1104. this is the cabin we booked. now i asked a question a few weeks ago about the noise from the windjammer above. i would say about 90% of people said the noise isn't a problem. i was happy to hear that. we love aft cabins and we have had them on the voyager, freedom, navigator and liberty but have never with an open air windjammer balcony. if someone has been in 1104 on the jewel please tell me your thoughts on the noise (if any) from above. thanks very much.....

Hi! I haven't stayed in that exact cabin, but I stayed a few cabins below it on the aft (LOVE IT!!!!). You could definitely hear silverware clanking and the yummy smell of breakfast but if anything it gave me more motivation to get my tush out of bed and up the the Windjammer!!! :D

Archived