11:40 AM departure from Orlando OK for Port Canaveral arrival?

publicpersona

We will be returning on Freedom to Port Canaveral, scheduled at 7 AM. I had initially booked a 6 PM flight out of Orlando, because the only other non-stop was 11:40 AM. Since we will have to take an Avis shuttle, get the car, drive, return the car at MCO .. I was afraid that 11:40 AM might be too aggressive.

Now I'm giving that second thoughts. We are very experienced cruisers and tend to move through the process as quickly as can be (and I know unforeseen things can happen). Sure would be nice to get home earlier.

So what do you think .. much of a risk with 11:40 AM departure?

We will be returning on Freedom to Port Canaveral, scheduled at 7 AM. I had initially booked a 6 PM flight out of Orlando, because the only other non-stop was 11:40 AM. Since we will have to take an Avis shuttle, get the car, drive, return the car at MCO .. I was afraid that 11:40 AM might be too aggressive.

Now I'm giving that second thoughts. We are very experienced cruisers and tend to move through the process as quickly as can be (and I know unforeseen things can happen). Sure would be nice to get home earlier.

So what do you think .. much of a risk with 11:40 AM departure?

Not a problem at all. IMO

I appreciate all the input. It will be tight. Part of the factors to consider here is the downside of missing the flight. My destination is not too far away, so there's a good possibility I could get a flight in the afternoon that would still be approximately same arrival as original plan.

Still, I'm thinking sleeping in just before 8 AM, leaving the ship leisurely, and then maybe spending a few hours at the space center might be a reasonable option.

I went ahead and switched our flights to 11:40 AM. We'll get biege departure tag andf hopefully will be off by 8 AM. The wildcard is the shuttle for the rental car. Since I use Avis and have preferred status, I usually don't have to wait to pick up the car. I anticipate being in Orlando returning the car by 9:45 AM, plenty of time for 11:40 flight.

And if something goes awry, then I can probably still get the later flight. And if that becomes crazy expensive, I rent a car again and drive home.

I went ahead and switched our flights to 11:40 AM. We'll get biege departure tag andf hopefully will be off by 8 AM. The wildcard is the shuttle for the rental car. Since I use Avis and have preferred status, I usually don't have to wait to pick up the car. I anticipate being in Orlando returning the car by 9:45 AM, plenty of time for 11:40 flight.

And if something goes awry, then I can probably still get the later flight. And if that becomes crazy expensive, I rent a car again and drive home.

Airlines won't give you a later flight if you're late. They'll only give you a later flight if the flight is delayed or has mechanical problems. As long as you notify the cruise of your early flight, they should give you appropriate colored tags to get off the ship first thing. It may be tight, you just gotta be prepared for the lines of customs, getting your car, traffic, and getting into the airport. Good luck!

Let's back plan

11:40 departure

MUST be checked in by 10:40 or check in not allowed

At Avis return to catch shuttle to airport 10:15

Leaving Avis pick up at Port Canaveral at 9:15

Throw in 30 minute wait for Avis shuttle driver to load shuttle with customers.

So thru customs an immigrations and off ship by 8:45

Good Luck :D

There is one more varible. Of course I'm sure it doesn't happen often but it did to me and I learned my lesson. Several years ago we cruised out of Tampa. On the morning of return I woke up and looked out to see that we weren't moving and the fog was so thick I couldn't see 10 feet away. I went to the desk and asked what was going on and was told that we were fogged out about 5 miles from port and we could go no farther. We didn't actually get into port until after 12:00 noon. We had a 1:00 flight that we didn't make. I'll never plan a flight home before 3:00 or 4:00 anymore. Like I said, I'm sure this is very rare.

We would have easily made that flight last February coming off the Disney Wonder. However we were one of the very first people off the ship, baggage was right on our way, customs barely glanced at us, etc. Just a very easy trip off the boat. Same thing for returning the rental car with Enterprise.

Good luck.

We would have easily made that flight last February coming off the Disney Wonder. However we were one of the very first people off the ship, baggage was right on our way, customs barely glanced at us, etc. Just a very easy trip off the boat. Same thing for returning the rental car with Enterprise.

Good luck.

Disney has absolutely the best and easiest debarkation I have ever experienced!! I wish all other lines would take note of how it's done!!

• 1 month later...

For the record, psbcap was correct .. not a problem at all. We were sitting at the gate at 9:35 AM .. two hours before the flight.

We had Beige priority debarkation (but not express - we weren't in THAT much of a hurry). When we arrived at the luggage carousel, our luggage was right in front of us. The Avis shuttle was waiting out front, and we were on the road very quickly.

Your mileage may vary, but I'd feel comfortable with a flight as early as 11:15 AM or so, providing you have a backup plan.

Archived