tipping

shell09

Guest xywolap

I have seen many times claims that service staff are paid poorly but have never seen real figures from a reliable source. One said that waiters were paid $30 per month and other unsubstantiated figures have been thrown around too. If that was true then behind the scenes staff are being paid $1 per day..?? :rolleyes:

I have also heard stories saying that it was hogwash and they were paid more, so who knows the truth?

Has anyone seen anything showing what the real conditions of employment and salaries are?

As for the claim that all tips directly received are "all" handed in to a common pool is a bit like the easter bunny story.

Waiters are not beyond telling porkies... one told a passenger that the coral spore that was appearing everywhere at that time was something rediculously different and they totally believed him. I bet he laughed for a week.

I am not knocking waiters etc.. most are fantastic at what they do, just that they are not all angels and stories can sometimes be just that, stories.

Leave the tipping to the americans and with other nationalities pay the staff a worthwhile wage and incude it in the fares sold in that country. It would stop the flogging of this well done horse.

If you still wanted to palm $$$'s to every staff member encountered you could still do so.

Tipping is part of cruising. If it were not for tips your cruise price would be more expensive anyhow.

Its 10 - $11 Dollar US on other US ships,

I say if you can afford to pay $2000 each twin share for a cruise just save a bit more and pay your tips as well.

For most people $75 for a 10 night cruise is not that much more to save-

If you are on a tight budget drink a few drinks less each day and you'll have your tip money and be better off for it.

Yes the crew do know who removes autotips.

We have been told this on Carnival Splendor and Pacific Dawn.

If you don't mind stiffing the crew FINE but the argument that kiwis and Aussies don't tip doesn't really stick in cruising as its NOT NZ And Australia-its a completely different culture on board ships

and I think the fact that the auto tip is so low $7.50 (it was only $4.50 Last year) Already takes into account that tipping is not part of our Australiasian culture.

The cruise industry has its own culture and tipping is part of it.

We have stayed in ALL INCLUSIVE resorts in Mexico through timeshare which is basically like cruising on land.

you pay an all inclusive fee each day and all your food, alcohol and tipping is included in that daily price.

In Mexico and United States if you go out for dinner expect to apy 15- 20 % on top of your bill as gratuity.

So auto tipping takes away alot of stress in wondering what is acceptable- You pay up front and all is fine and dandy!:D

I have seen many times claims that service staff are paid poorly but have never seen real figures from a reliable source. One said that waiters were paid $30 per month and other unsubstantiated figures have been thrown around too. If that was true then behind the scenes staff are being paid $1 per day..?? :rolleyes:

I have also heard stories saying that it was hogwash and they were paid more, so who knows the truth?

Has anyone seen anything showing what the real conditions of employment and salaries are?

As for the claim that all tips directly received are "all" handed in to a common pool is a bit like the easter bunny story.

Waiters are not beyond telling porkies... one told a passenger that the coral spore that was appearing everywhere at that time was something rediculously different and they totally believed him. I bet he laughed for a week.

I am not knocking waiters etc.. most are fantastic at what they do, just that they are not all angels and stories can sometimes be just that, stories.

Leave the tipping to the americans and with other nationalities pay the staff a worthwhile wage and incude it in the fares sold in that country. It would stop the flogging of this well done horse.

If you still wanted to palm $$$'s to every staff member encountered you could still do so.

The stories of $30 per month or $1 a day are hogwash. The wages are a lot more than they would get in their own country, even if they worked in a 5 star hotel. I don't feel sorry for them or submit to emotional blackmail of stories of 'slave' labour wages.

We nearly always receive exceptionally good service, and (yes) we do tip on the last night. I think good staff have a pride in their work and give good service regardless of tips. Maybe they are hoping for a tip, but they always manage to look surprised when we give it to them.

We are happy to go along with the tipping, however I will not tell other people what they should do.:)

Evon.

they (cruise ships based in oz) should take auto tipping off and then dont hide the tipping in a fare, and let the people who want to tip do so,the pursers will be happy as the lines of people that they get at the pursers desk taking off the tipping will shorter, leaving the people wanting to pay there cruise card bill happier as well ( not having to stand in line for so long).

they (cruise ships based in oz) should take auto tipping off and then dont hide the tipping in a fare, and let the people who want to tip do so,the pursers will be happy as the lines of people that they get at the pursers desk taking off the tipping will shorter, leaving the people wanting to pay there cruise card bill happier as well ( not having to stand in line for so long).

I'm sorry I don't agree. Keeping in mind that Aussies are not used to tipping, if the cruiselines take the autotip off, most (or at least many) Aussies wouldn't tip. I believe with the way it is set up now, the passengers know that tips are the normal way to do things and many of those who take the autotip off would tip independently. If tips virtually disappear, the wages would have to be higher so therefore the cruise fare would have to be higher. This would make it harder for people on a tight budget to cruise. :)

In my opinion the present situation is the best. If we are not happy with the service from one particular person we can make sure they don't get our tip, but if they just get higher wages (instead of tips), what can we do?

Evon.

Its kinda like those subscriptions people get caught up into from TV,

they keep billing you until you are pro - active and cancel,

I don't mind auto tipping -

It works out way cheaper than tipping on per service per meal basis/per purchase basis,

But agree its up to individuals to decide what they want to do.

Its not compulsory but if you book a Carnival cruise with a travel agent in New Zealand Gratuities are pre paid as part of fare price. Well it was for Carnival Splendor and Carnival Paradise which we were booked on this year.

We got a credit back for the Carnival Paradise after cancelling because it was no longer going to Mexico- SWINE FLU had just erupted- (and we already spent 7 days on a cruise to no-where)

I know we didn't get a complete 100% credit and can only surmise that our gratuities were not paid back but can't be sure.

Princess is different- in that they add it on each night just like P &O do.

hi all thanks for all the advice about tipping one more ? is the auto tip on everyones including children we are giong and taking our kids ages 19-10 so does that mean they will all get charged the same tipping price i know we are only on for 7 days but X that by 5 and it works out a little extra we have to save any ones help would be great

hi all thanks for all the advice about tipping one more ? is the auto tip on everyones including children we are giong and taking our kids ages 19-10 so does that mean they will all get charged the same tipping price i know we are only on for 7 days but X that by 5 and it works out a little extra we have to save any ones help would be great

Yes it is per Person,

I know its expensive for families but extra bodies do mean extra work

I'm sorry I don't agree. Keeping in mind that Aussies are not used to tipping, if the cruiselines take the autotip off, most (or at least many) Aussies wouldn't tip. I believe with the way it is set up now, the passengers know that tips are the normal way to do things and many of those who take the autotip off would tip independently. If tips virtually disappear, the wages would have to be higher so therefore the cruise fare would have to be higher. This would make it harder for people on a tight budget to cruise. :)

In my opinion the present situation is the best. If we are not happy with the service from one particular person we can make sure they don't get our tip, but if they just get higher wages (instead of tips), what can we do?

Evon.

yes as you said Aussies wouldn't tip and that would be right most wouldnt most dont on P&O cruises from what i have seen we have had plenty on people ask about what this tipping on there bills, when they find they can take it off, gee it spreads fast to amost of the new cruises, with the big line at the pursers desk.

quoted by xywolap

Leave the tipping to the americans and with other nationalities pay the staff a worthwhile wage and incude it in the fares sold in that country.

a. no i dont think so, but i would like to.

On P & O the autotip applies to passengers aged 13 and over. It is up to you if you want to take it off for everyone, or even just for the kids in the 13 - 19 age bracket. :)

Evon.

remember this is in us $$$$$$$$$ and in some cases tax free, and includes there room and board and all there on board expences are duty free, there only expences are what they spend ashore.

Buffet Steward / Stewardess (serving meals, drinks, cleaning tables) - No experience required, some experience preferred. Basic English Language knowledge required. Salary range: $900-1300 U.S. per month, depending on gratuities (tips) from passengers. Strong possibilities for promotion to Bar Steward, Junior Waiter, Assistant Waiter and Waiter.

Bar Accountant (responsible for accounting procedures of the bar department) - accounting background and / or education required. Salary range: $1600-1900 U.S. per month.

Bartender (responsible for serving alcoholic beverages to passengers in lounges and on decks) - Some experience required. Good English Language skills required. Salary range: $1700- 2400 U.S. per month, depending on gratuities from passengers.

Bar Stewards/ Stewardess (Cocktail Waitress / Waiter) - responsible for serving alcoholic beverages to passengers in lounges and on decks - Some experience required. Good English Language skills required. Salary range: $1400- 2200 U.S. per month, depending on gratuities from passengers. Possibilities for promotion to Bartender.

Bar Boy / Bar Utility (responsible for cleanliness of lounges and re-stocking bar supplies) - no experience required, entry level position. Very basic English Language skills required. Salary range: $600-900 U.S. per month, depending on percentage of tips (gratuities). Possibilities for promotion to Bar Steward.

Dining Room Junior Waiter / Waitress (assisting dining room assistant waiters, serving meals and drinks) - Some experience required. Fare English Language skills required. Salary range: $1200-1800 U.S. per month, depending on gratuities (tips) from passengers. Possibilities for promotion to Dining Room Assistant Waiter.

Dining Room Assistant Waiter / Waitress (assisting dining room waiters in the food and beverage service, serve passengers as directed by the waiter) - Experience required. Good English Language skills required. Salary range: $1400- 2100 U.S. per month, depending on gratuities from passengers. Possibilities for promotion to Dining Room Waiter.

Dining Room Waiter/Waitress, (serving passengers, explain the dishes, make recommendations, supervise assistant waiters assigned to their tables) - lots of experience and fluent English Language skills required. Salary range: $2200-3800 U.S. per month, depending on gratuities from passengers. Possibilities for promotion to Dining Room Head Waiter.

Dining Room Head Waiter/Waitress, (responsible for a certain serving station in the dining room, supervises all waiters) - lots of restaurant and prior cruise ship experience in related position required. Fluent English Language skills required. Salary range: $2600-4700 U.S. per month, depending on gratuities from passengers.

Maitre D'/Restaurant Manager - takes care of seating arrangements, service, and oversees the wait staff for the dining room. Under the maitre d' are the head waiters, and each of them is responsible for several waiters and busboys. Fluent English Language skills required. Salary range: $3400-5200 U.S. per month, depending on the cruise line and gratuities from passengers.

here is the link to cruise wages and experience levels

remembering that these wages are only ((((((entry level position)))))and in usa $

http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/position.htm

as you can see anything lower then a Head Room Steward / Stewardes (Cabin Steward / Stewardess / Cabin Attendant or lower) you need any experience at all ( Minimum Wage ) including room and board ect . some one in australia with no experience on min wage of $543.78 aud per week less taxfood ,board or rent, transport to work and no tips.(http://www.fairpay.gov.au/),

Interesting. This subject always brings a variety of responses. I am in 2 minds as I see both sides. :confused: I don't begrudge anyone a decent living, and when we travel overseas we do tip as that is what is expected in that country, however in saying that I do not tip in Australia as that is not the way we do things here. Valid points have been raised in that the shipping lines are not totally Australian based, thereforr we should tip. BUT the ships really are Australian based for the majority of the year and if they do run by our rules and regulations, why not in this? :confused: It seems to me they can pick and choose and run how it suits them.(understandable) I for one do not take of the Auto tipping as I like the convenience of it, and to be truthful I didn't even think of it until it raised the question here.

This will be our second cruise, and quite frankly both times we have had $100 each shipboard credit so I feel I am losing nothing anyway so why not give it to those who work hard and deserve it. I just wish I could get tipped for great customer service in my industry :rolleyes:

Cheers

Ellen :cool:

here is the link to cruise wages and experience levels

remembering that these wages are only ((((((entry level position)))))and in usa $

http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/position.htm

as you can see anything lower then a Head Room Steward / Stewardes (Cabin Steward / Stewardess / Cabin Attendant or lower) you need any experience at all ( Minimum Wage ) including room and board ect . some one in australia with no experience on min wage of $543.78 aud per week less taxfood ,board or rent, transport to work and no tips.(http://www.fairpay.gov.au/),

Thied, is there anyway you can reduce the width of your page for this site.

It is impossible on both mine and DH's screens to see your page without having to scroll sideways. Just thought I'd mention this in case you weren't aware of it.:)

Back to the subject. A friend of ours was a Waiter on Royal Caribbean in the early 90's. He cruised the Caribbean. Back then his income was US$1500.00 per week including tips. Not bad I must say. All these years later they must be getting a lot more. You only have to sit at your dining table and count all the tables and people your Waiter is taking care of and see who will be tipping him, add it up, and it's pretty good money. The Waiter's work very hard to receive good comments from their passengers on their comment cards because from these comments they will be allocated the bigger tables with more passengers and consequently will receive more tips.

Jillybean:)

It is impossible on both mine and DH's screens to see your page without having to scroll sideways. Just thought I'd mention this in case you weren't aware of it.

hi theid, i agree if you can do something about your page

rkmw

And the people cleaning cabins $500-$600 US per month-

thats Not the average Australian weekly wage

Not alot but indeed more than they would get at home,

I still don't mind the auto tips and believe cruising is not the same as business in Australia and New Zealand and shouldn't be compared as the same

Theres no way I could pay staff $500- $600 month for a full working week,

EVEN with BOARD

And the people cleaning cabins $500-$600 US per month

I'm sorry, but I am not sure where this figure came from. The website quotes US$1800 - $2,200 per month for a cabin steward (including tips).

I still reckon the pay isn't too bad when you take into account that board and lodging are included and there is no income tax to pay.

Evon.

The stories of $30 per month or $1 a day are hogwash. The wages are a lot more than they would get in their own country, even if they worked in a 5 star hotel. I don't feel sorry for them or submit to emotional blackmail of stories of 'slave' labour wages.

I'd like to see the evidence for that claim. Everything I've seen supports the claims I've seen of $50-100 for entry level service staff being at least possible.

Plus, last time this was discussed, I refuted your claim of better wages from 5 star hotels locally - and that's aside from how convenient it is or viable... there aren't that many 5 star hotels to employ everyone!

I'd like to see the evidence for that claim. Everything I've seen supports the claims I've seen of $50-100 for entry level service staff being at least possible.

Plus, last time this was discussed, I refuted your claim of better wages from 5 star hotels locally - and that's aside from how convenient it is or viable... there aren't that many 5 star hotels to employ everyone!

The figures on wages come from the website referenced by Thied on page 2 of this thread.

My comment about wages in 5 star hotels in the waiter's home country (not locally in Australia) came from our table waitress.

Evon.

The figures on wages come from the website referenced by Thied on page 2 of this thread.

My comment about wages in 5 star hotels in the waiter's home country (not locally in Australia) came from our table waitress.

Evon.

I read the website differently to you,

it said cabin staff/stewards US $500-600 month,The laboures are basically unskilled but work long hours

Even so I am dubious about this website that wants a $49 fee to fill out an application form for possible employment-

Sounds like a rip off to me - with no guarantees of being hired

Imagine collecting $49 from hundreds possibly thousands of bogus applications

It is impossible on both mine and DH's screens to see your page without having to scroll sideways. Just thought I'd mention this in case you weren't aware of it.:)

Back to the subject. A friend of ours was a Waiter on Royal Caribbean in the early 90's. He cruised the Caribbean. Back then his income was US$1500.00 per week including tips. Not bad I must say. All these years later they must be getting a lot more. You only have to sit at your dining table and count all the tables and people your Waiter is taking care of and see who will be tipping him, add it up, and it's pretty good money. The Waiter's work very hard to receive good comments from their passengers on their comment cards because from these comments they will be allocated the bigger tables with more passengers and consequently will receive more tips.

Jillybean:)

if you or any one wonts to know about the wages this web

that i posted http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/position.htm

it will tell you the base wage for just about every job on the a ship, and about every cruise line that gets there workers from.

You'll note, however, that those are inclusive of tips.

Thus, if all tips are counted for, plus some extra for those who do tip extra - and assuming that the figure is accurate - then subtract that from the amount given, that will give a likely wage paid.

As an example, take a dining room assistant waiter. $1400 from that site. 30 day month, times 40 diners (2 seatings by 20 pax) x$1/day is your $1200 + $100 for extra (cash) tips gives you $1300. Subtract that from the $1400 quoted and that gets you to $100 which is a fair basis from what I've been able to determine.

As per the site, though, this is based on US customs, US ships and USD. I would expect based on the lower recommended tip and local customer base that local salaries are a little higher on P&O ships to offset the lower tips often given, otherwise they'd lose their crew to other ships with a higher package pretty quickly.

it will tell you the base wage for just about every job on the a ship, and about every cruise line that gets there workers from.

No, it's not telling you the base wage. It's telling you a potential remuneration. Note the words "Salary range: $xxx U.S. per month, depending on gratuities (tips) from passengers. " beside each job listing that is remunerated through tips.

Archived