Grrrrr to CC Cognoscenti

Solo1959

I can't be that bright. I don't always think first, act later. And I listen too much to what other people say. And it gave me a head ache

I use a CPAP machine. Every time I travel, I lug a gallon of distilled water with me. What an inconvenience especially when traveling to a cruise ship! I saw great advice on this board and decided to take it. Someone suggested that I don't need to carry a gallon of distilled water with me because the ship will provide it on request before the cruise. Just ask.

So, when I made my reservation earlier this week over the phone with Carnival, I mentioned it to the agent. "No problem!" she said. And I went to bed happy that night.

The next morning I checked my email. A letter from Carnival regarding "Important Medical Information." When I called, they told me over the phone that I needed a doctor's note because of my medical condition. I told her, all I wanted was to buy a bottle of distilled water. No good, because I mentioned that I use a CPAP, I need medical clearance. I said OK and hung up. I called later to try to talk to someone else. Same story. Doctor's note.

They sent me a form to complete. I filled it out saing, all I want is to buy water on the ship instead of carrying it with me. A few moments later someone called me back.

Finally, someone with a clue. He told me not to bother. All I had to do was ask the steward or guest services on board for a bottle of distilled water, and they would sell it to me. The price = $3.50 a bottle [no description of how big a bottle]. But you know what, $3.50 is a LOT easier than carry a gallon of water with me.

If you use a CPAP, you don't need to ask in advance for water. He told me it is readily available on request on board.

I really hope you get distilled water and not the drinking water they sell for $3.50. I guess Im a worrier. I think Id bring the water.

You can however put down a $25 deposit on a extension cord for your breathing machine, get it from the purser's desk. Save packing that.

I can't be that bright. I don't always think first, act later. And I listen too much to what other people say. And it gave me a head ache

I use a CPAP machine. Every time I travel, I lug a gallon of distilled water with me. What an inconvenience especially when traveling to a cruise ship! I saw great advice on this board and decided to take it. Someone suggested that I don't need to carry a gallon of distilled water with me because the ship will provide it on request before the cruise. Just ask.

So, when I made my reservation earlier this week over the phone with Carnival, I mentioned it to the agent. "No problem!" she said. And I went to bed happy that night.

The next morning I checked my email. A letter from Carnival regarding "Important Medical Information." When I called, they told me over the phone that I needed a doctor's note because of my medical condition. I told her, all I wanted was to buy a bottle of distilled water. No good, because I mentioned that I use a CPAP, I need medical clearance. I said OK and hung up. I called later to try to talk to someone else. Same story. Doctor's note.

They sent me a form to complete. I filled it out saing, all I want is to buy water on the ship instead of carrying it with me. A few moments later someone called me back.

Finally, someone with a clue. He told me not to bother. All I had to do was ask the steward or guest services on board for a bottle of distilled water, and they would sell it to me. The price = $3.50 a bottle [no description of how big a bottle]. But you know what, $3.50 is a LOT easier than carry a gallon of water with me.

If you use a CPAP, you don't need to ask in advance for water. He told me it is readily available on request on board.

We just came back last month and we put ours in a back pack and walked on with the machine in it. We used the water in the bathroom. NO forms, no nothing.

I think that the $3.50 is the Evian water that they sell in the room. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

Joanne

my husband uses a CPAP and he never uses water when we are on the ship, or in the summer. He finds that it is humid enough that he doesnt get a dry nose/throat. I have told our pvp that he brings it and have never been asked about filling out any forms

I have seen John Heald answering questions about getting distilled water on board before. I am pretty sure it will be available if he asks for it, and that they are not talking about the regular bottle water that is in the room.

I'm a sleep technologist and I can tell you that tap water is just fine every now and again. I too would leave the water at home and just use the tap water...or if you want you can just get boiled water from the coffee/tea station and let it cool to room temp and use that, but honestly, tap is fine.

I really hope you get distilled water and not the drinking water they sell for $3.50. I guess Im a worrier. I think Id bring the water.

You can however put down a $25 deposit on a extension cord for your breathing machine, get it from the purser's desk. Save packing that.

I'm hoping it will be distilled water, too. The guy assured me that they do have it and that if I ask the steward or guest services they will get it for me. I'm going to risk it.

Now for the extension cord... that I can't live without. I learned several cruises ago that it is mandatory. I always carried a power strip for my CPAP, cell phone and Palm pda. That has been long enough for me in the past.

tap water from the ship shouldn't be a problem

My dh's doctor told him to just use the water from the tap for that short of a time. He said something about how it was filtered??

My doctor told me to use only distilled water, he said that even purified water had stuff like minerals and dissolved solids in it. He said that everything that's in the water will wind up in my lungs. I don't know... seems easy enough to use the distilled [if it's available] that it's not worth the risk. I wouldn't want to get any cooties while I was sleeping.

I'm a sleep technologist and I can tell you that tap water is just fine every now and again. I too would leave the water at home and just use the tap water...or if you want you can just get boiled water from the coffee/tea station and let it cool to room temp and use that, but honestly, tap is fine.

If anyone here can convince me to use regular water, it would be you. I have a paranoia about it based on what the doctor told me. He said it had nothing to do with the machine, that "it" could use any liquid, but that it was my lungs that were getting the residue of the water. Would a week straight of tap water really be OK?

I really don't know this for certain about your ship, but I'm pretty sure that all modern vessels have onboard desalination plants and purify most or all of their own potable water, so the tap water probably IS distilled water. We were on a backstage tour of the Grand Princess and saw the desalination plant -- they talked all about reverse osmosis and salt extraction (YAWN) -- and said the water was as good or better than the bottled water they sell onboard (which I'm sure the management team would NOT have been happy about him sharing that little tidbit!)

If your real concern is about minerals in the water ending up in your lungs, remember that bottled water is often labeled "mineral water" -- so the water in the bottles onboard may actually have more "stuff" in them than the tap water the ship produces.

If anyone here can convince me to use regular water, it would be you. I have a paranoia about it based on what the doctor told me. He said it had nothing to do with the machine, that "it" could use any liquid, but that it was my lungs that were getting the residue of the water. Would a week straight of tap water really be OK?

The ship does not use tap water.

I can't explain the process, I'm sure someone on the boards can, but the water on the ship is as good, if not better, than distilled.

I always use the ship's water in my CPAP with no problems.

Also, you do not have to have water to make the machine work. It simply provides humidity.

the water they use on the ships is filtered/treated water and in a pinch it should be fine for your CPAP machine, even occasional tap water at home is ok...I just wouldn't make a habit of it, especially if you've had lung issues in the past. If you do buy the water from the ship, please make sure they're giving you what you ask for and not the bottled water sitting in the rooms.

I too use a CPAP machine - Carnival e-mailed me a medical form too - it was just a basic form and all I had to fill in is that i have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. They then usually follow up with a note suggesting I bring an extension cord and they do have distilled water on board.

My cruise 2 years ago, I got a bottle of distilled water brought to my cabin - I think the charge was $4.50 but I could be mistaken on that. It definitely was distilled water not the drinking water and the bottle was large enough so that I had way more than needed for my week long cruise. When I cruised this year - I didn't mention to my PVP about the sleep apnea or request the distilled water. After reading things in CC I figured the water out of the tap would suffice for the week. Before my cruise I was again sent a medical form - I guess it is in my permanent record with Carnival. I just filled it in again and had no problem. I didn't bother with buying the water and just used the tap water and it had no adverse affects on me or the machine.

I wouldn't worry about it - you will be fine. and if you do decide that you want the distilled water - they will have it on board.

Have a great cruise!!

The ship does not use tap water.

I can't explain the process, I'm sure someone on the boards can, but the water on the ship is as good, if not better, than distilled.

I always use the ship's water in my CPAP with no problems.

Also, you do not have to have water to make the machine work. It simply provides humidity.

I do not believe the water on the ship is distilled therefore there is likely still a mineral content to the water so it would not be "better than distilled." CPAP machines with humidifiers require distilled water however, as I and others have stated, the occasional use of non distilled water will not damage the machine. As I mentioned earlier, if I were cruising a lot, I would definitely use distilled.

When on vacation, I have always used "tap" water. My humidifier can go in the dishwasher if necessary, but I have always hand washed.

I have never had a problem using the tap water on the ship, and I have allergies/asthma in addition to sleep apnea. Don't worry, use the tap water, and have a GREAT cruise!!!

My humidifier can go in the dishwasher if necessary, but I have always hand washed

lol, not too concerned about the machine, more worried about what I'll be breathing in.

I bring an extension cord and they do have distilled water on board....I wouldn't worry about it - you will be fine. and if you do decide that you want the distilled water - they will have it on board.

Have a great cruise!!

Thank you very much. I think I'm going to ask for the distilled water when I get on board, but from what you and someone else told me, I won't be concerned if it's not available.

If you do buy the water from the ship, please make sure they're giving you what you ask for and not the bottled water sitting in the rooms.

Absolutely! There would be no point to it. Thank you for your advice. As I said, because of your expertise I trust what you have to say in this regard. I'll request the distilled, but if it's unavailable, I won't sweat it, and I'll use the tap water. Thank you again.

I do not believe the water on the ship is distilled therefore there is likely still a mineral content to the water so it would not be "better than distilled."

You were absolutely correct about the difference between distilled water and other water.

the occasional use of non distilled water will not damage the machine.

I don't think any liquid in the canister would damage the machine. That isn't the concern. The canister is filled with water. It is then heated and the moist air is blown through the tube to the mask. I guess you could even fill it with the drink of the day :D The concern for me was if the water is not distilled, then the cooties dissolved in the water would be evaporated, blown through the tube, to my mask, and I would breath them in.

Based on what you and others have written. I'm not going to sweat it. I'll request the distilled water. IF it's available, I'll use it, if not, no biggie for a week.

Thank you for your help.

I'm also wondering if someone with the cruise line does not know the difference between bottled drinking water and distilled water.

If I were the OP I would bring my own gallon and not have any worries. Whatever the hassle of carrying it onboard, it will be a lot less than the disappointment if all they end up providing is bottled drinking water.

It's not even a question in my mind. Bring the water with you.

You were absolutely correct about the difference between distilled water and other water.

I don't think any liquid in the canister would damage the machine. That isn't the concern. The canister is filled with water. It is then heated and the moist air is blown through the tube to the mask. I guess you could even fill it with the drink of the day :D The concern for me was if the water is not distilled, then the cooties dissolved in the water would be evaporated, blown through the tube, to my mask, and I would breath them in.

Based on what you and others have written. I'm not going to sweat it. I'll request the distilled water. IF it's available, I'll use it, if not, no biggie for a week.

Thank you for your help.

I'd say that is a good way to approach it.

Most people define "cooties" as living things :-) and it sounds like you are mostly concerned about inhaling microorganisms.

Optimally, both distilled water *and* filtered water used on the cruises is free of microorganisms. (I say optimally, because machinery can malfunction in water distillation systems and in water filtration systems). The things that are present in filtered water that is not in distilled water are minerals, not microorganism. These are the things that tend to cause that chalky build-up in your machine, if you use it over a long period of time. They are not alive, and will not make you sick.

A week on the tap water, or, if you are at all concerned about the tap water, the bottled drinking water, shouldn't be a problem at all.

Archived