Overnight in Denali or Domed Train Ride ?

Jimbo

Check out Holland America’s Cruise Tour # 25 or 26 – 11 days, with domed rail car and 2 nights in Denali.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

HAL – Westerdam, September 6, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

Check with Princess, I will be leaving out of Vancover on the 7th of September, for a 7 day cruise with disembarkment at Whittier boarding a Direct-to-the-Wilderness rail service with a land tour of Denali/Mt. McKinley for 3 days ending in Anchorage on the 4th day and flying home Hope you find one that fits your needs! Dee

Princess was more pricey.narrowing it down to Royal Caribbean Cruise Tour #6, #7 or #18.....We think it is better to go South bound, Tour first, cruise second. Anyone agree? Tour first, Cruise second?

Jimbo:)

Princess was more pricey.narrowing it down to Royal Caribbean Cruise Tour #6, #7 or #18.....We think it is better to go South bound, Tour first, cruise second. Anyone agree? Tour first, Cruise second?

Most on this board recommend land first followed by cruise. In spite of that recommendation it worked best for us to do a NB cruise followed by an independent land tour. Frankly, I don't see the difference. However, those who take the cruiseline land tours feel that your days start early and end late and by the time you are done with your land tour you need a rest. For us, we found the cruise more tiring. On our itinerary we had to be up early most days and we were up late each night in June viewing the gorgeous scenery outside the boat. Honestly, I don't think it matters. I would look at things like time in port to help determine which was the better choice. JMHO.

I haven't studied the tours you are considering, but if you are after seeing wildlife, I would go for the 2 days in Denali with a tour that includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour rather than the Natural History Tour. With two nights, you could also consider cancelling the tour with the cruiseline and booking a shuttle into the park which will get your further into the park. It is all about choices and preferences.

Whatever you do, I am sure you will have a grand time in Alaska!!!

Jimbo - check out Tour #11. That is what we have booked for next year and it includes an overnight in Denali and two segments are on the Wilderness Express. Stay in Denali includes the longer Tundra Wilderness tour into the Park, and Fairbanks includes both the Riverboat and the gold panning excursions. We did Princess ten years ago and were very pleased with how they handled everything but we thought that RCI would be more our style this time since we are cruising with a number of long-time friends.:) We subscribe to the theory that says getting the long flights over at the start of the trip and the somewhat more strenuous land portion as well makes the southbound itinerary the best fit for us.:)

Why not skip the cruisetour and book it yourself? That way you can do exactly what you want, when you want! Probably for less money too.

It would be our first time in Alaska and a little leery of doing it on our own. I'm sure it would be less money though you you said.

Jimbo - check out Tour #11. That is what we have booked for next year and it includes an overnight in Denali and two segments are on the Wilderness Express. Stay in Denali includes the longer Tundra Wilderness tour into the Park, and Fairbanks includes both the Riverboat and the gold panning excursions. We did Princess ten years ago and were very pleased with how they handled everything but we thought that RCI would be more our style this time since we are cruising with a number of long-time friends.:) We subscribe to the theory that says getting the long flights over at the start of the trip and the somewhat more strenuous land portion as well makes the southbound itinerary the best fit for us.:)

Looked at Royal Caribbean and Princess. Princess seems to be higher priced. Royal didn't seem to have the things we wanted to see. We want to see Glacier Bay and Royal doesn't go there.

Last night we booked a Holland America Cruise Tour #20 on Ryndam It's a 6 land days and 7 Night cruise. Booked an inside GTY, total for my wife and I was $3450.40

2 train rides on the Mckinley Explorer Rail and 2 overnights in Denali, includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour also. Plus an Portage Glacier Cruise in Anchorage

1 night in Fairbanks, 1 night in Anchorage, 2 nights at Alyeska Prince Hotel

Looked at Royal Caribbean and Princess. Princess seems to be higher priced. Royal didn't seem to have the things we wanted to see. We want to see Glacier Bay and Royal doesn't go there.

Last night we booked a Holland America Cruise Tour #20 on Ryndam It's a 6 land days and 7 Night cruise. Booked an inside GTY, total for my wife and I was $3450.40

2 train rides on the Mckinley Explorer Rail and 2 overnights in Denali, includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour also. Plus an Portage Glacier Cruise in Anchorage

1 night in Fairbanks, 1 night in Anchorage, 2 nights at Alyeska Prince Hotel

Sounds like a plan, Jimbo. We saw Glacier Bay the last time so will see Hubbard Glacier next year. You may be the "kids" on HAL though.;) Be sure to take the gondola up to the top of Mt. Alyeska. It is supposed to be great and one of these years we will get to do it as well.:)

Just back last week from Diamond Princess Land/Cruise tour. We did 2 nights in Mount McKinley Lodge (very nice) and 1 night in Denali Wilderness Lodge - (was also nice and I felt plenty of time at the park) followed by a 9 hour domed train ride to the ship it was very comfortable, with dining cars and Rich our guide onboard was very interesting. The ride went pretty fast.

Archived