House pouring Wine Card

sailorboy05

We got the wine, cocktail and soda cards and thought the wine card was the best value. On the Zuiderdam, the pour was a generous 6 oz and one time the wine steward brought me another one no charge! I really enjoyed the chardonnay, like the pinot grigio. The merlot was ok, my preference is pinot noir but that wasn't an offering. That was my only complaint, otherwise it was an excellent value.

We got the 20 glass wine card while on board - $77.63 (incl. 15% added gratuity). A good value. Since we like red wine, there are 2 reds to choose from: Cabernet & Merlot. They were both good, in our opinion, but we are not connoisseurs. Enjoyed a glass with our dinner:)

I also got the wine card on a recent cruise and thought it was great! I particularly liked the Pinot Grigio and the Cab. It was a decent "house" wine that you could drink for a great value. I ordered from the wine menu for dinner but this was nice to have during the day. In fact, the last night at sea, I went down to get a glass to go with my room service snack while packing up :( and had 5 or 6 punches left. The wonderful bartender gave me 2 glasses and a whole bottle of Pinot to use up the punches!:) No, I didn't drink that whole bottle while packing!:D I took it with me and enjoyed it during my post cruise stay.;)

Enjoy, Sue

Thanks for the comments. DW and I are on the 14-day Winter Panama Canal Discovery on ms Maasdam from San Diego April 16. This is our first time on HAL and are looking forward to the smaller ship experience. Previous cruises have been on the 2,000-pax ships of Celebrity and Carnival, and while nice experiences, we want to try the smaller ship.

It's a good value. With the old house wine (Stonebarn) I liked the Pinot Grigio the best. With the new house wine this summer on the Ryndam and Statendam (Coastal Vintners--I think) I felt the Chardonnay was better. My DW liked the white zin, my DD liked the Merlot and my SIL enjoyed the cab.

can you please describe how much is a wine card? can 2 people use one card, or is it for one per person?

I don't use it, so I don't remember the prices, but there are two cards. You can purchase a 10-punch, or a 20-punch card. Since it's based on punches (one punch per glass), any number of people can use the same card.

You can buy a round for the room, if you care to! :D

can you please describe how much is a wine card? can 2 people use one card, or is it for one per person?

$77.63 f0r a 20 punch card (gratuity included)

You can have 20 people all have one glass apiece and use up the card.:D

We came back with 4 unpunched spaces. :(

... and $41.40 for a 10-punch card, Service Charge included.

Your only choices are Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, White Zinfandel, and "sparkling" white.

Check the bedside Bible when you first check in ... some people leave unfinished ones there. :)

... and $41.40 for a 10-punch card, Service Charge included.

Your only choices are Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, White Zinfandel, and "sparkling" white.

Check the bedside Bible when you first check in ... some people leave unfinished ones there. :)

I have purchased two 10 punch cards for my Mom and myself, if I have any leftover I will place it in the Bible.............. Thanks for the tip.

$77.63 f0r a 20 punch card (gratuity included)

You can have 20 people all have one glass apiece and use up the card.:D

We came back with 4 unpunched spaces. :(

Leftover? :eek:Plan ahead:), lol! Actually we had a couple of drinks to use up, so we had a pina colada the last evening. I didn't finish it all, though. The last 2 wine punches we used the last dinner. We just bought one for the two of us.

Hi Everyone - thanks for post - I checked the HAL gift list for pricing on the beverage/spirit cards and they do not have any of the cards listed as an option. Glad to read they are still selling them. Also I know this has been discussed but i forget - if you purchase these cards on board from the wine steward does he/she get credit for the purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Everyone - thanks for post - I checked the HAL gift list for pricing on the beverage/spirit cards and they do not have any of the cards listed as an option. Glad to read they are still selling them. Also I know this has been discussed but i forget - if you purchase these cards on board from the wine steward does he/she get credit for the purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Some time ago the Bar Staff agreed to spliting evenly that 15% gratuity among all of them. That also includes all drinks, sodas, etc. that you buy anywhere on the ship.

Thanks in advance.

You can purchase them online and have them ready for you in your stateroom but you have to dig to find them.

If you go to the HAL website

For Booked Guests> Onboard gifts> Overview> click 'Order Gifts' button in right corner

From there you log in and it will ask the 'guests' you are buying for. That will then take you to the gift menu where you click on the beverage icon.

Good luck!

Just returned from 10 day ..my wife and I both enjoy wine, so I bought 3 20 cards. Sounds like a lot, but if you pick up a couple of rounds with friends, it'll go pretty fast. We had 5 punches left when finished, and we just gave it to some friends we met that were doing a back to back. IMO best deal on the ship. Now all we need is a "photo card" to help with that rip off.:D:D

You can purchase them online and have them ready for you in your stateroom but you have to dig to find them.

If you go to the HAL website

For Booked Guests> Onboard gifts> Overview> click 'Order Gifts' button in right corner

From there you log in and it will ask the 'guests' you are buying for. That will then take you to the gift menu where you click on the beverage icon.

Good luck!

We ordered the wine card one time on line -- it was not in our cabin when we got on the ship.

Asked our conceirge about it -- she told us to check in the dining room.

Did that -- they had to hunt around for it. Lomg story short -- we bought another card -- we had the paper work -- they finally confirmed it -- gave us the second card free -- after hunting for the original.

You can get the wine card from any bartender or wine steward. We found it quite convenient and the wines decent. If I remember correctly, we were being pursued by bar waiters while we were waiting for our stateroom to be ready on sailing day, to purchase the bar cards, so it is very easy to get them once you are on board if you don't want to pre-order. Cheers!

P.S. Another thing we enjoyed on occasion, when dinner is lengthy, have a nice glass of Pinot Grigio with app.,salad, soup, and then enjoy a cab with dinner and you don't have to order 2 seperate bottles. :)

Archived