Are there problems with Western Horizons trip October 2010 with Island Escape?

Hi

After weeks of deliberating I decided to book the Western Horizons trip in October 2010. Yesterday I went online and there were lots of different cabins available. I got a price and then went to my travel agent to see if they could beat the price.

Then the problems started. They couldn't find the cruise on the system. Then I checked the website and now it shows as "Sold Out". I rung Thomsons direct and they told me that this trip has now been "withdrawn" and the cruise has been "cancelled".

Does anybody know what is going on? There were lots of cabin categories to book yesterday, from lots of airports, and for each of the 8, 9 and 11 night options. Can't believe that all the rooms sold out overnight.

Don't know whether what Thomsons said means temporarily taken off the system, or whether it really does mean the cruise has been scrapped.

Appreciate anybody who could throw light on this as it is a cruise I would very much like to do as there are no sea days and we like the idea of visiting somewhere new every single day.

Andy

Looking at the system via the Thomson website, no ship is doing an itinerary of that name in October 2010, so it looks like it has been either dropped completely or renamed.

Island Escape is doing 7 night Med Spirit or Med Discovery cruises.

Thom Dream is doing 7 night Med Explorer or Highlights of the Med cruises.

Thom Celeb is doing 7 night Red Sea or Highlights of Aegean cruises.

Thom Spirit is doing 7 night Adriatic Explorer or Pearls of Aegean cruises.

Thom Destiny is doing 7 night Med Renaissance or Jewels of Med cruises.

Not sure which ports the Western Horizons was due to visit but it could be either one of the above or even a combination of any of the above.

Hi

If you click on Itineraries from the cruise home page and select Summer 2010 then you can find the Western Horizons 8, 9 and 11 night options - all suddently showing "Sold out".

It starts in Palma and then goes to Barcelona, Valencia, Almeria, Gibraltar, Casablanca, Agadir and then all of the canary islands. The 11 day was due to end in Madeira.

If it started in Palma and ended in Madeira it sounds like a repositioning cruise to the Canaries......the sort of cruise they have to start the winter season in Canaries...perhaps there has been a change of plan ...or even a refurbishing of Island Escape???????

Hi

If you click on Itineraries from the cruise home page and select Summer 2010 then you can find the Western Horizons 8, 9 and 11 night options - all suddently showing "Sold out".

It starts in Palma and then goes to Barcelona, Valencia, Almeria, Gibraltar, Casablanca, Agadir and then all of the canary islands. The 11 day was due to end in Madeira.

The cruises I listed are taken from the Thomson website for October 2010, so it looks like the Canary Islands have been dropped from the Autumn schedules for some reason and replaced with Med, Aegean, Adriatic and Red Sea itineraries instead.

It's a shame since Autumn is often the best time for the Canaries, not too warm and nowhere near as chilly as it is at home.

Yes it was a repositioning cruise, so as you suggest it may be that they do not want another winter in the canaries and therefore will need to reposition in a different direction for the winter instead, eg Red Sea. That sounds a decent shout.

The Dream!

It could be that they are not using the Escape for the Canaries winter season and either the Dream or the Destiny will replace her. My favourite is for the Dream to do the Caribbean and Destiny the Canaries. The Escapes casual style does not fit with the conventional Thomson style anyway.

Anyone know when the winter 2011 brochure is published plus I bags first in the queue if Dream is going across the Atlantic.

Dave

My guess is the same as yours, Dave re The Dream - I reckon that would be a good move for the Caribbean. With Celebration in the Red Sea, the two Thomson ships they have on a 'bareboat' lease (i.e. more profitable) are in operation over the winter. :)

That leaves the Canaries - if they're going there. Destiny or Island Escape? Destiny would be my preference but then again, it's a Louis Line lease - so................. perhaps not. Is IE owned by Thomson? If so, can they afford to have her laid-up for the winter? On the other hand I also think you're right about the IE style not appealing so much to some Thomson regulars. So it will be very interesting to see how it all turns out.

(P.S. I have seen other cruises which have shown 'Sold out' ages before the sailing date when logic dictates that isn't so - ones I've been tracking have done this and then become available again at a later date - so whether this one will, or whether there is something else afoot we shall have to see!)

Archived