Just back from the Poesia. We had a great time!

Mummye

We have just returned from a fabulous week around the Eastern Med on board Poeia. (Venice,Bari,Katakolon,Izmir,Istanbul,Dubrovnik) A party of 10 aged 10 to 75 years with some previous cruisers and some newbies (like me!)

The best bits

The staff were brilliant and could not do enough to help

The ship was spotless and the cabins exceeded our expectations(although one member of our party thought them small)

The food, despite our apprehension was super. There was endless choice and apart from a couple of disappointing dishes we all agreed that it satisfied all of us.

Being able to order coffee in our cabin in the morning at no extra charge was a wonderful start to the day

We all enjoyed the evening shows. Some were better than others but they were an enjoyable way to pass 45 minutes after dinner!

Areas for improvement

Room service slipped up a couple of times.

Breakfast delivery is a bit of a lottery on the day at sea - as everyone seems to want a lie in! Ours arrived an hour early.

The daily entertainment around one pool is not really everyones taste ( If anyones!!) However there were plenty of areas to escape the noise.

Excursions

We planned to do our own thing mostly and this is how we did it

We spent a couple of days in Venice first before joining the ship. In Bari it was a short walk in to the town, although there is not a great deal to see.

In Katakolon we had prebooked a local taxi driver to take us to Olympia. His name is George and is to be reccommended. He was waiting for us when the ship docked and we arrived at Olympia way before other tour buses . The tranquility of the place so early was a definite bonus. We visited alocal ampitheatre and then drove to a wonderful beach for a drink and a dip. Georgore can be found at www.taxikatakolon.gr. We paid 140 euros for 5 of us and it was well worth it.

In Izmir some of our party took the organised excursion which worked well and they all enjoyed.

In Istanbul we hired a local taxi for 80 euros and took a 4 hour tour of the main sights. We were dropped off and picked up at allocated times. There may have been a cheaper way to do it but we found it convenient. The Topkapi Palace was our highlight and we needed much more than the hour and a half we had. (Note that entry is with Turkish Lire. Euros and cards not accepted)

In Dubrovnik we took a taxi from the port (20 euros return - fixed price) and spent a splendid few hours walking around the walls and the Old Town. We loved it. Some of our party took the local bus which leaves outside the port gates and was significantly cheaper.

Would we go again ? Definitely. We found the whole operation slick and efficient - especially when you consider the numbers involved. Expect large numbers of Europeans (Not Brits) and you will not be surprised, although we never found a problem with the queue barging etc suggested elsewhere.

I could go on for hours about different aspects, but I hope that the above gives an idea of our experience. Of course, do ask if you have any questions.

We were on deck 7 (D'Annunzio) Outside cabin with balcony. I thought it was spacious and well equipped and had no complaints. It would be a bit tight if you were squeezing in children too though.

OK was it a regular balcony or a superior?

Or can you just tell me your cabin number.

You stated you had enough room. How was the balcony. Many(most) of the "superior" balconies on that deck are adjoining. Was yours? Was it a problem?

It was catergory 11 - whatever that means! Cabin 11099.

The balcony was individual but you were able to open up the partitions between adjoining cabins (which we had and found this facility very useful)

We never found it noisy or intrusive. The balcony had two comfortable chairs and a table. Perfect for our needs.

Mummye: thx for your info on this ship, we're considering her for the Carrib next spring b/c we have to stop in Key West on a certain week. We read that the Poesia does not offer a buffet at dinner time, just lunch and breakfast, was that the case? Also, there was a charge for any beverage at dinner time, water, ice tea, anything, is that right? Oh, and no free pizza, it was $7? Thx,

-Bob

Hi Bob.Yes you are correct. Dinner is a 'formal' sit down affair with no buffet option. However there is plenty of choice - starters, salad, soup, risotto or pasta, main, dessert, cheese. On a couple of occasions some of our group disliked their choice and they simply reordered. It was never a problem and the staff did their utmost to accommodate. Sometimes the courses arrived 'out of sync' though.

The buffets at breakfast and lunch were extensive and so no worries there. Incidentally there is also pizza available on the lunch buffet although there is apparently a pizzeria onboard at extra cost ( we never discovered it!!)

Unfortunately all drinks at dinner are at a cost ( water available at breakfast and lunch) Maybe if we had insisted we could have got some at dinner but we just purchased the bottled variety. Maybe that is why our final bill was so much!! No coffee or tea available at dinner either.

I suppose it just depends on what is important to you.

Hope that helps

Yes, that is what i am saying! However we always ordered bottled water with dinner and so did not press for a glass of 'tap' water. Whether this would have been forthcoming I really cannot say.

At lunchtime there is water to be found (although not freely offered) from a machine tucked away in a corner! Unfortunately there are only mugs available to drink from though.

A word of caution to you considering the ship for the Caribbean - Muumye was on a European sailing - which means there are differences to what you will get in the Caribbean. In Europe it is an uphill battle to get free water at dinner (it is normally bottled at extra cost) but in the caribbean there is no problem at all in getting free tap water at meals. They laos open the buffet a bit longer in the caribbean (6 or 6.30)

Are you saying that they do not even pour you a glass of water at dinner? So does this mean you have to pay extra for a glass of water at dinner?

No, you pay for a bottle of water at dinner.

It's an Italian ship. That's how things are done in Italy.

Its just how it is in Europe.

I have a question about dining attire. My husband and I are first time cruisers. I know some people pack light and others pack to change clothes more frequently. We are not formal type people and don't plan to dress formal at all while on this cruise. I've read the ship is pretty lax on dress code. What has been your experience on most European cruises?

For the light packers, do you just wear to dinner what you wore all day?

It was deleted by mistake. Pls send it again.

Jerryjash: Pls write to me and I will try to calm you down. I have a lot of info which I have written already but I will condense it for you. Pls email me. It just takes up too much space here.

Just remember Cruises that are in the Caribbean are different from the other ones! They are not nickel and diming at all! PLS EMAIL ME.

Its just how it is in Europe.

I have a question about dining attire. My husband and I are first time cruisers. I know some people pack light and others pack to change clothes more frequently. We are not formal type people and don't plan to dress formal at all while on this cruise. I've read the ship is pretty lax on dress code. What has been your experience on most European cruises?

For the light packers, do you just wear to dinner what you wore all day?

I'm certainly not a light packer - I change for dinner every day and go the whole hog on formal nights. However I can confirm that they do not enforce the dress code on formal evenings to be admitted to the dining room. Some passengers don't dress formally. the only exception is the captain's welcome party. They won't let you be presented to the captain and have your photo taken with him unless you have observed the dress code.

• 2 weeks later...

hi mummye,

thanks for the review. i have a question about the istanbul port of call. was it near to local public transportation (like a subway) or would you recommend taking the taxi or a tour?

thanks. glad to hear you enjoyed your trip.

Archived