Dress Code On Dawn

broadway13

What is the norm for dining on this ship in all of the restaurants. Can nice shorts be worn for men or do they have to wear pants. Some times woman can get away with wearing shorts but not men. Just looking for some answers.

Thanks

What is the norm for dining on this ship in all of the restaurants. Can nice shorts be worn for men or do they have to wear pants. Some times woman can get away with wearing shorts but not men. Just looking for some answers.

Thanks

here is the guidelines for dress in dining areas from the NCl web site--please follow them:

Freestyle Cruising is not too dressy, not too casual. We call it "resort casual." You'll call it being on vacation. By day, almost anything goes. Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts, or whatever are all fine. Casual is perfect in our restaurants too. Even if you've just been at the pool and don't feel like changing, no worries. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant. At night, it's relaxed all over the ship. When you're ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in our restaurants whenever. If you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, feel free - we've reserved a restaurant just for that. And remember to pack a sweater - air conditioning can be chilly.

unquote

Big Green

There have been numerous threads lately about the dress code on NCL, and the Dawn in particular. I believe that it depends at least partly on the sailing; if you are travelling to Bermuda, they make an exception for Bermuda-style shorts. It will be noted in your Daily. For all other sailings on all other ships, the dress code remains as quoted by Big Green above.

Just keep in mind, the stated dress code for YOUR sailing is the only one you need worry about; personal opinions expressed here on CC are moot. :)

There have been numerous threads lately about the dress code on NCL, and the Dawn in particular. I believe that it depends at least partly on the sailing; if you are travelling to Bermuda, they make an exception for Bermuda-style shorts. It will be noted in your Daily. For all other sailings on all other ships, the dress code remains as quoted by Big Green above.

Just keep in mind, the stated dress code for YOUR sailing is the only one you need worry about; personal opinions expressed here on CC are moot. :)

if you get a welcome aboard package in the mail it should have the stated dress guidelines.

Big green

I believe that it depends at least partly on the sailing; if you are travelling to Bermuda, they make an exception for Bermuda-style shorts. It will be noted in your Daily.

The trouble is, you won't know what's in the Daily until you're already on board and it's way too late to re-pack. :-) So in my opinion you had better PACK in anticipation of NCL's stated code. If you find out that you can get by with something else once you're on board, then that's great.

It appeared like the dress code on the Dawn was relaxed with the new fixed menus. At spring break and the old menus there was always one MDR that appeared to follow the NCL rules and be semi-formal with no jeans allowed. When we cruised again this summer with the new fixed menus people were wearing jeans, shorts, t-shirts, tank tops, etc. in both MDR's. This kind of makes sense; if one MDR was semi-formal then a passenger would be excluded from half of the MDR food choices if they had not brought semi-formal clothing. This was our observation for the first week of June; we never asked the staff if the rules had been relaxed.

Just returned Sunday from the Dawn. We saw shorts, jeans, etc. regularly for dinner in both dining rooms. There did not seem to be much of a dress code whatsoever anymore. You do have to wear shoes in the buffet!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

From the NCL QA (staff answer)

Shorts: Only Bermuda shorts worn with a jacket and knee socks will be permitted in any dining venue for dinner. All other shorts will not be permitted in any dining venue for dinner with the exception of the Buffet and any outdoor dining venues.

Also says

Hawaiian and/or Tropical shirts are permitted in all dining venues for all meals.

I am hopeing to get away with shorts and Hawaiian shirts.

From the NCL QA (staff answer)

Shorts: Only Bermuda shorts worn with a jacket and knee socks will be permitted in any dining venue for dinner. All other shorts will not be permitted in any dining venue for dinner with the exception of the Buffet and any outdoor dining venues.

Also says

Hawaiian and/or Tropical shirts are permitted in all dining venues for all meals.

I am hopeing to get away with shorts and Hawaiian shirts.

Looks like the usual disconnect between NCL customer service and reality. If my memory serves me correctly, passengers returning from cruises on the Dawn have consistently reported shorts being allowed in the dining rooms...not Bermuda shorts worn with a jacket, but shorts, period.

Another example of the disconnect is if you ask NCL customer service whether you can bring soda or bottled water on noard, they will say "no", when if fact NCL has no rules against it (the rules only prohibit alcoholic beverages) and no one has ever reported any problem with bringing soda or water on board.

Answers from NCL customer service have a well-deserved reputation for inconsistency and inaccuracy.

My family cruised on the Dawn in April and August, we saw shorts and jeans every single night in the MDR's, jeans worn by women, teens, etc... My DH and I asked during our Aug. cruise and were told it was a new policy that it was your choice to dress up or not and it was more in line with the Freestyle Cruising Atmosphere. We dressed nicely every evening and we chose not to Dress Up for formal night:p It was still alittle odd to see men in shorts, one guy even wore I swear his pajamas into the MDR on our Aug. 9th cruise to Bermuda:confused: Well to each his own we had fantastic cruises in April and Aug. and don't let people's attire ruin our night. Happy Cruising, hope this info helps, but it really is your choice to dress up or not. They will let you in even in your PJ's:)

During our May cruise on the Dawn, DH wore khaki slacks, hawaiian shirts and I wore nice sundresses with a scarf, earrings and nice shoes. We looked nice. We did see people wearing shorts and more casual clothes. We dress like that on land to go out to dinner as well. And on land, we run into people more casual. It didn't bother us one bit.

Now if people were smelling bad, dirty, and wearing undershirts as outerwear, then it could be an issue.

Thanks

We just got off the Dawn on Sunday and I can only tell you my experience. We did NOT go to any of the speciality restaurants. I do believe that in Le Bistro ans Cagney's, men have to wear slacks, I am not sure of Impressions and Salsa.

In the Venetian and Aqua, my DH wore every night, dark blue bermuda shorts, an Hawaiin shirt and moccasins. No one said a thing about having to wear slacks.

Which was a good thing because he forgot to pack slacks.....!!!

My DH was VERY HAPPY......!!! :D He just LOVES that he doesn't have to wear a suit or tux like he does on Holland America and Royal Caribbean.

He said he felt like he "really was" on Vacation......!!! :D :D

That's exactly what my DH says, too. He works on Wall Street and has to wear a suit every day. NCL's freestyle dining dress code makes him very happy and it truly feels like a vacation to him when he can wear casual clothes.

We did a Carnival cruise last year with our daughter and although the entertainment and food were better than NCL (in our opinion), the fact that we had to dress up twice kinda stunk when compared to Freestyle.

Why don't we just STICKY this dress code since it come up...oh...let's see.......every week?:rolleyes:

More like everyday or every few hours.

It is a very legitimate questions. And valid.

But, the same question is asked multiple times a day. Sure, somebody new does not know the answer. Understood.

But somebody else asked it and that question is still right there on the main page.

Okay, rant off.

Archived