$200.00 Coupon Fraud

JeanieRich

I would've said something. Why do it for the first guy but not the next?!?!:confused:

I just figured there was information he wasnt telling me, but he didnt have to get smart. Like maybe her cruise price hadnt gone up but mine had, and thats why it couldnt be applied or some such. Or maybe it was booked with a TA so he couldnt touch it, Im sure there was a reason and he never guessed that she and I knew each other and I knew what they were doing as I stood back to wait until they were done once he showed up.

That's good news, I appreciate the post, thank you. Carol in CA

I don't think you are reading the coupon correctly. I purchased 5 last year and have used 4 so far. On a 7 day cruise, you will receive 100.00 off the price of the cruise, plus you will receive 100.00 on board credit. Good deal in my book.

Cindy

The fine print was not available at the time of purchase, you just paid the fee and the coupon was delivered to your cabin at a later date; that alone should have been a tip off. I am going to call Carnival and ask exactly what one receives, I am not understanding it, to me it isn't written clearly. Thank you for the input. Carol in CA

I agree with this; Partial blame to you for not reading the fine print but also blame to Carnival for not specifically telling you the restrictions. If it's almost too good to be true, there must be a catch.

After a number of helpful post I am seeing the paperwork says the $100. one pays for the coupon is a deposit, that means to me that comes off the price of the cruise, then you get an obc in varying amounts so I don't think it's all an obc but I could be wrong lol...thanks for the help. Carol in CA

Lots of people here have gotten refunds on the coupons, no problem if you decide you dont want the OBC, but seems like now that you bought one or more then you might as well use them.

I think you are over reacting. True, they may not have been great about explaining them to you. btw before you get even more upset. Be aware the money is OBC, not a discount. You keep saying you get a discount, you get no discount, its money to spend onboard.

The fine print was not available at the time of purchase, you just paid the fee and the coupon was delivered to your cabin at a later date; that alone should have been a tip off. I am going to call Carnival and ask exactly what one receives, I am not understanding it, to me it isn't written clearly. Thank you for the input. Carol in CA

Oh, okay. Well that right there would've put up a red flag, but I'm glad you're able to still use it. I'd still call and get a person who knows what they're talking about to help you out. If the people on here have been able to use them, you should too, just be stern with them.:p

After a number of helpful post I am seeing the paperwork says the $100. one pays for the coupon is a deposit, that means to me that comes off the price of the cruise, then you get an obc in varying amounts so I don't think it's all an obc but I could be wrong lol...thanks for the help. Carol in CA

I think what firefly is saying is that the $100 that they deduct from the balance owed is the $100 you paid. The "bonus", extra, or benefit- whatever you want to call it is the onboard credit since that is what you get above and beyond the $100 that you already paid.

It is funny how we make things way more complicated than they need to be.

Here is the nutshell folks:

1) When onboard a cruise where this if offered, you PREPAY $100 toward a future cruise, and they give you a certificate.

2) When you book the future cruise, you send the certificate in so they can apply that $100 to your balance owed.

3) At the same time, they will apply OBC as follows: (this is the reward or return on your investment, i.e. the benefit of doing this program)

$50 for a 5 day

$75 for a 6 day

$100 for a 7 day, I think

$200 for a 12 day (unconfirmed)

People have reported that it cannot be used with the military rate, interline rate, and welcome home credit (it is gone anyway).

It can be used with the senior rate, past guest rate, and resident rates.

It is available, you just have to ask to see it.

We bought one of these last year on Valor & used it for our cruise this year on Conquest. You pay $100, which is basically applied to the cost of your next cruise. When you board, you will also have a $100 onboard credit. So, it is a good deal. We read the certificate carefully before purchasing & went over it with the guy on the ship that was selling them. You need to know that the OBC can be $50 to $200 depending on the length of the cruise you end up booking. It does not cost $10 to send a letter certified mail, either. I don't have my receipt anymore, but I think it was around $3. This is a great program & I meant to get another certificate on Conquest, but had a migraine that evening & DH forgot about it.

What is the big deal?? Seems that some don't read the fine print or even read the responses..

if they are refundable, why the fuss?? If you have a military discount and you can't use them, get a refund. If you are only going on short cruises and they don't "make sense" for you get a refund

I think they sound like a good deal...I would buy one but would ask first IF they could be used on a group cruise deal or a single's cruise deal since that is the way I prefer to travel

Always best to read fine print, ask questions, and do some calculations before making a commitment

After reading this thread I am still NOT sure which ships sell these?? any facts are much appreciated thanks

I think they sound like a good deal...I would buy one but would ask first IF they could be used on a group cruise deal or a single's cruise deal since that is the way I prefer to travel

Lambie asked and they said YES you can use them on a group cruise, we both plan on having them applied to our next group cruise.

I thought there was a post in this thread listing the 4 or 5 ships that the certificates are sold on. All are Conquest or higher class of ships.

What is the big deal?? Seems that some don't read the fine print or even read the responses...

After reading this thread I am still NOT sure which ships sell these?? any facts are much appreciated thanks

Irony.

That can be found in post #28 :)

Thanks....so the coupons won't be on the ships I am sailing on anyhow

thanks for the answers

sometimes the real answers tend to get "lost" in these threads

I did quickly figure out that these are refundable however

they seem like a really good deal, I may be on the Liberty in Jan and would certainly

purchase a cert..thanks

I bought one on Liberty. I'm cruising on Miracle with a large group, yes we have a special group rate with an OBC from the group. I could use the Cert. plus I have a $100 OBC from the group and $100 OBC from Carnival. That $200 covers our tips plus extra for drinks. I'm happy and will buy more certs in the future.

I bought one last fall & just mailed it this week. I wish I'd known that they didn't offer these on all of the ships, I would have bought a couple extra! I just figured that I would buy one each time I cruised for the next cruise. Is there any other way to buy them?

Certified mail(letter size) is $2.80 a return receipt cost $2.30

Where can you find the on-board credit on your reservation? I tried to see if they had credited me for it yet & can't figure out where it would be. I haven't set up an account for the sign & sail card & thought maybe I would have to do that first?

I purchased one of those $200.00 "off any Carnival Cruise" coupons on the Splendor for $100.00. I specifically asked if this could be used on any cruise and if the coupon would be $200.00 off any future cruise. I was told yes it would be. When I read the fine print, it is not even good for $100.00 on a cruise under 7 days and only worth $200.00 on a 12 day or longer cruise. Has anyone tried getting a refund on these coupons from Carnival? I am wondering if I should bother as a friend told me they will refuse to refund any money on these rip off coupons. I am so angry with Carnival for this fraud that I am tempted to never sail Carnvial again, I am a senior and I think they gear these hard sell liars onboard to take advantage of older people who grew up in a time that no one would ever do something like this. I appreciate any input you may have. Carol in CA

The best advice is just get used to it...this kind of thing seems to happen alot. Really can't do anything about it, just enjoy your cruise, if you get one. :)

BTW, Thanks I'm a Carnival Share Holder. ;)

It just seems like try to make everything so difficult these days. They must have a huge staff of lawyers just sitting around and writing disclaimers for every piece of paper and program that is generated by Carnival.

I don't think it's limited to Carnival. I think there are rooms full of lawyers doing the same thing for many different businesses.

I bought one last fall & just mailed it this week. I wish I'd known that they didn't offer these on all of the ships, I would have bought a couple extra! I just figured that I would buy one each time I cruised for the next cruise. Is there any other way to buy them?

Certified mail(letter size) is $2.80 a return receipt cost $2.30

Where can you find the on-board credit on your reservation? I tried to see if they had credited me for it yet & can't figure out where it would be. I haven't set up an account for the sign & sail card & thought maybe I would have to do that first?

If you booked thru Carnival, click on modify booking and it should be there under credit. Otherwise you can see it on your edocs on page 6.

mail-girl. You do have to go to Carnival's website and set up an account and then you can view and print out your documents and your OBC will show up.

I know, I just did it last week. We bought 4 certificates on the Splendor in May and we read all the details first. The deal is simple, you put down $100 and get $200 back on a 7 or 8 day cruise, $100 credited to my final payment and the other $100, shows as an OBC in my documents at the website.

Smitty

I guess I'm having trouble with the idea that other people need to protect you from yourself.

If you husband doesn't know anything about the travel plans, why didn't he ask you before he bought them?

Adults should, imo, be responsible for their own actions. We all have purchased something impulsively, but I can't see holding others responsible for that.

No one takes responsibility for their own actions anymore! :confused:

What is the big deal?? Seems that some don't read the fine print or even read the responses..

if they are refundable, why the fuss?? If you have a military discount and you can't use them, get a refund. If you are only going on short cruises and they don't "make sense" for you get a refund

I haven't read of anyone actually being invited to a meeting onboard about these certificates. When we were invited to a meeting aboard our 5/24/09 Splendor sailing, was it just a fluke? Anyway, we attended this meeting with our traveling companions who had also received the invitation. They served complimentary beverages (wine, champagne, fruit punch) and gave a very thorough explanation of the certificates, the exclusions and the fact that you have 5 years in which to use them. If you do not use them, you will receive a full refund. We thought (and still do think) it was a win-win situation.

We just sent in the two we purchased and applied them to a group B2B we are doing on the Miracle in 2011. Our cost to send certified was $3.24. We plan on booking an Alaska cruise onboard the Splendor in January and thereby getting a second certificate for our DD and her family who will be going to Alaska with us. I'm sure we will buy a couple of more for future cruises as well.

I purchased two of the certificates last year on the Conquest. I specifically asked the salesman, if it was combinable with the military rate, and was assured they were (he lied). When I mailed my certificate to Carnival, they took over a month (after receiving the return receipt), and many calls on my part to find out the truth. Even my PVP was in the dark about the certificates.

Yes, I was upset, but I place more of the blame on the salesperson (must be on commission), than Carnival. What was really crazy is that I had paid the balance, less $100 on our cruise. I had to call my PVP, and pay the additional $100 on my account, and then within days Carnival credited me the $100 for the certificate.

This morning, I finally wrote a letter (for my husband) requesting the other certificate be credited. Carnival wouldn't credit it without the certificate, and for some reason this certificate is in my husbands name (although I purchased both), and he had to request the refund in writing.

We get such a great rate booking military, and we both love cruising Carnival, so I'll just have to get over myself :D.

Archived