MIA or FLL airport?

nmprsns

We are finding flights to Miami are more expensive than to Fort Lauderdale. Our ship leaves from Miami and we want some advice on whether or not we could go into FLL. How long is the ground ride to MIA? Is it advisable? We are arriving in advance of sailing and need to know if the hotel shuttles will pick up in FLL and take you to MIA.

Thanks for any and all advice.

We are finding flights to Miami are more expensive than to Fort Lauderdale. Our ship leaves from Miami and we want some advice on whether or not we could go into FLL. How long is the ground ride to MIA? Is it advisable? We are arriving in advance of sailing and need to know if the hotel shuttles will pick up in FLL and take you to MIA.

I doubt there are any hotel shuttles in the FLL area that will drive you to the port of Miami.

However, and someone correct me if I am wrong, you can stay overnight at a hotel in the FLL area and in the morning have the shuttle take you back to the airport where you can pick up the cruise line's transportation for a fee.

There are also private shuttle companies that would take you from FLL to Miami, but I do not know the cost.

Karen

This post may get moved to the CruiseAir board. Just a heads up (I had a post moved there, but it's a great board).

I believe I read it's a 45 min drive from FLL to the port of Miami which is a distance of 25 miles.

I doubt there are any hotel shuttles in the FLL area that will drive you to the port of Miami.

However, and someone correct me if I am wrong, you can stay overnight at a hotel in the FLL area and in the morning have the shuttle take you back to the airport where you can pick up the cruise line's transportation for a fee.

There are also private shuttle companies that would take you from FLL to Miami, but I do not know the cost.

Karen

I live in the Ft Lauderdale area. Trip time from anywhere in the area to Port of Miami varies from 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours depending on the time of day you are traveling. Morning rush hour (7am-9am) on I-95 is bumper to bumper. The exit for the port is one of the last before I-95 becomes US 1. Saturday or Sunday trip can be made in 1/2 hour.

There are many shuttle services from Ft Lauderdale area hotels that will take you to Port of Miami. Fares can vary from $35.00 - $50.00. Check with the hotel you are considering and they should be able to recommend reliable transportation.

I have yet to find a hotel in one place to shuttle me to the other.

Airfare must be cheaper enough to warrent the extra costs in getting to the cruise port.

We saved over 100pp and used a car service for 6 adults costs us 33.00 pp round trip so the savings were great. we used larryslimo.com we have also used floridalimo in the past

You didnt say how many in your party- car services or taxis will cost about 75.00 one way.

You can use the shared ride-- I think that is 18.00 pp

but it is only one way-- youstill have to make reservations with someone to get you back.

Here's the skinny on the MIA vs FLL issue. MIA is a major hub for American Airlines, and as such, there is a certain degree of "fortress" pricing. Rather than compete with AA's dominance, many carriers focus on FLL, avoiding the direct fight vs AA. This has caused FLL to become crowded in its own right.

Because of the hub, AA has the most destinations that can be served non-stop from MIA. They also can leverage many departures from MIA through ORD and DFW. For this, they can charge a price premium on many routes. Also, FLL is much more of a leisure destination (in the eyes of the airline) which results in fares with higher yields into MIA.

Often the decision is non-stop in/out of MIA on AA vs a connection that takes you to FLL. Only the individual can determine the best approach for their priorities.

One tip to look at....some fares allow for MIA and FLL to be "co-terminals", meaning you can interchange them at the same fare. So, you could fly into one and depart from the other, as well as having the same fare in/out of either. My suggestion: When searching for airfares into SoFla, use the option to search for nearby airports and you can get a direct comparison of MIA vs FLL fares, rather than searching each individually.

If I had the choice, I would fly out of Miami not FLL unless the price difference was substantial. Last time we flew out of FLL it was an absolute nightmare with lines snaking all over the place and the security area was extremely disorganized. However, it may have been there were just a lot of embarking passengers flying home that particular day.

I would also calculate the total amount you would save, total, by flying into FLL, including the "cost" of time and distance from the port. Last time we flew out of FLL, we were off Enchantment (Majesty?) and got to the airport early, hoping to get on an earlier flight. We didn't get on, and could not go through security until 2 hours before our flight. We had to sit on the floor for 2 hours before going through security and it was a complete nightmare.

I personally like being close to the port and I know there are many airports in Miami that offer a free shuttle to the port. You may want to calculate that into your costs.

Either way, have a great time!

I personally like being close to the port and I know there are many airports in Miami that offer a free shuttle to the port. You may want to calculate that into your costs.Either way, have a great time!

I think you meant hotels-- yes many hotels offer a free shuttle to the port (where the hotel is located-- you will find hotels in mia to take you to the MIA cruise port or FLL hotels that take you to the cruiseport in FLL.

you wont find a hotel that takes you from MIA to FLL

I have been searching for air to FLL for March and boy were those flights expensive. (I managed one way down for 104 total per person and need to come back on the 13th...so I am looking at MIA. Those flights although leave about 2 hours later---are over 122.00 cheaper per person that leaving out of FLL so that is a huge option for me-

We live in a suburb of Columbus, OH and often find airfare to FLL is much, much cheaper than MIA. Last cruise out of POM we flew to FLL a day earlier than the cruise, booked a hotel room in FLL (for far less than a hotel room near POM) and used SAS transportation for $17 each to take us to the POM cruise port from our hotel in FL.

We saved well more than $100 doing this.

Doesn't work out this way financially all of the time but have found it works for us more times than not flying out of Central Ohio to the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area.

Dianne

I think you meant hotels-- yes many hotels offer a free shuttle to the port (where the hotel is located-- you will find hotels in mia to take you to the MIA cruise port or FLL hotels that take you to the cruiseport in FLL.

you wont find a hotel that takes you from MIA to FLL

Yes, of course I meant HOTELS. Thanks! ;)

Due to the difference in airfare, we too, fly to FLL for cruise out of POM. After a lot of research and commits from people on this board here's what I've found to be the cheapest:

If flying the day before rent a car at FLL from Dollar using Promo Code "KISSE". Smallest/cheapest rate is $35, total of $52 after taxes and return fee for returning it to MIA. This way you have a car to take you where ever you want and you have more options for finding a cheaper hotel for the one night stay. Return the car to MIA, they have a free shuttle to POM. If you call Dollar don't bother asking them if there is a free shuttle to POM, they don't know even if they say they know. You can look up the local MIA Dollar number and call the to confirm what I'm telling you. The one time shuttles are cheaper ($16-$18 per person) is when there are only two of you and you stay at a hotel that has free shuttle to POM. last time I research there are a couple hotels right by MIA that provide Shuttle to POM. Word of warning - if you choose to do this make sure you get extremely good directions to the car rental return at MIA, it is very hard to find due to construction, but may be better now.

If you are flying the day of, the Shuttle services are definitely the cheapest.

If I had the choice, I would fly out of Miami not FLL unless the price difference was substantial. Last time we flew out of FLL it was an absolute nightmare with lines snaking all over the place and the security area was extremely disorganized. However, it may have been there were just a lot of embarking passengers flying home that particular day.
MIA is always a nightmare I would pay extra to fly out of FLL but I drive to the airport>

Archived