Wine at Seattle Port?

DP

We will be flying in day of embarkation using HAL's air and transfers. I really want to buy my wine in Seattle but can't very welll have bus stop along the way. Any ideas? Any wine shops that ship directly to the ship?

We had the same situation. Since we were using HAL transfers, no way to stop along the way. We packed a bottle of wine in our luggage and waited until Juneau (our first port) to purchase more wine.

We also pre-purchased a wine card to use in the dining room/lounges and just used the wine we brought for cabin consumption.

If you are leaving on a World Cruise, I suggest you leave the Eastern Part of Canada the day before your World Cruise from Seattle.

Luggage logistics can be a hassle....there aren't Sky Caps/Porters at all US Airports any more and Seattle is one of them. Last year, (GV--65 days) leaving Washington DC, with two large suitcases and very small carry on...I had to handle all this myself, which I did OK, but I wasn't in a hurry. I left early in the AM and got to the airport (small airport) 75 minutes before flight time.

Why hurry, your on vacation. If you get to Seattle the day before your trip , you can try some local wine, and buy a case (or a few bottles) and enjoy yourself.

Have a fun trip

Luggage at the airport is not going to a problem as we are having them shipped directly to the ship. We probably will fly in day before but then where do I stay that is close to a wine/grocery store?

DP

wine is widely available in Seattle, we even make the stuff around here -- grocery stores, state liquor stores, and even convenience stores, as well as many high end wine stores. I wouldn't bother booking a place just because it's near a particular grocery store. Consider finding hotel bookings that fit your needs (downtown, airport, price, style) and then find a store to purchase wine. I recommend you take a cab from your hotel to the ship with a stop on the way to purchase wine if your hotel is not walking distance from a wine shop.

Thanks for all your replies. Since we are taking HAL's air, airport transfers are included. If we fly in day before we loose this convenience. So looks like we will fly in same day and transfer directly to ship. Anything within walking distance of the ship? I don't care what kind of store -- I am not a wine snob -- but don't think I will like Russian wine even if is available (which is our 1st port stop)

Sorry for the misinformation. The cruise is actually a Grand Voyage Sept 2010 Asia/Astralia 69 days. The first port 7 days after leaving Seattle is a town in Russia.

Thanks for clarifying the cruise you will be taking.

We did this one a few years ago. Loved Petropavlosk, such an interesting port, not the run-of-the-mill type. You are right about the wine -- don't think about waiting until this port.

Enjoy planning this cruise!

CoconutFish

I believe your ship leaves outof pier 66. At pier 54 there is a store called Exclusively Washington http://www.exclusivelywashington.net/ that sells wine. Not sure how good their prices are but would likely be better than what you would pay on the ship! This would be a good walk, but certainly possible. Also, there is a trolley that runs on the waterfront that could help get you from one end of the waterfront to the other.

Also, there is a new wine bar called Vintage Washington Wine Bar in SeaTac on the public side of security outside of the terminal C and food court area. I am not sure if they just sell wine by the glass or if they do some retail selling by the bottle also.

I believe your ship leaves outof pier 66.
Why wouldn't it use the new Pier 91 terminal?

Sorry for the misinformation. The cruise is actually a Grand Voyage Sept 2010 Asia/Astralia 69 days. The first port 7 days after leaving Seattle is a town in Russia.
Boy - with the first port 7 days away, and in Russia yet, I would NOT fly in on embarkation day!!! :eek: :eek: Too many little things can go wrong that could cause you to miss the sailing.

If you're locked into HAL air, at least pay the $50 pp deviation fee and go the day before. Or add a HAL pre-cruise excursion that will include an overnight hotel. Better to pay a little more than possibly lose 10% or more of your cruise. Could you even catch up to the ship in Russia without an individual visa?

Archived