no ships in Icy Strait next year?

handwcruisers

We had a travel agent tell us that would no longer be any cruise ships in Icy Strait after this year. I have not heard anything about this and I knew if this was true all the experts here would know.

So let me know what is going on!! I would hate to see them stop allowing the 1 ship a day into the area.

We did ISP in July on Radiance. The rumour while we were there was that they were allowing 2 ships per day next year. It was a lovely port. I hope they continue, but I hope that 1 ship per day is all that is permitted. More people would ruin the experience.

We did ISP in July on Radiance. The rumour while we were there was that they were allowing 2 ships per day next year. It was a lovely port. I hope they continue, but I hope that 1 ship per day is all that is permitted. More people would ruin the experience.

Yes, it can. You should have seen the south east Alaska ports 25 years ago. Doesn’t really ruin the experience as most only see it for the first time so they don’t know what it was like before. Particularly the shops that close up and move to the Caribbean in the winter. A bit sad that they don’t stay down there full time. It’s like feeding a stray dog; they always come back whether you want them there or not.

Yes, it can. You should have seen the south east Alaska ports 25 years ago. Doesn’t really ruin the experience as most only see it for the first time so they don’t know what it was like before. Particularly the shops that close up and move to the Caribbean in the winter. A bit sad that they don’t stay down there full time. It’s like feeding a stray dog; they always come back whether you want them there or not.

I'm anxious to visit Alaska next year. My first (and only) cruise to Alaska was in 1980. I imagine that things will have changed a great deal over the last 30 years. Not sure that all of the changes will be for the better. That's one of the reasons I chose the Radiance itinerary...I'm hoping that ISP will be like the Alaska I remember.

Thanks everyone,

I knew I could count on this board to know what really is the correct info. I couldn't understand why they would change things. I am going to be there in about a week and half on Radiance. We leave for Anchorage on Sat. I am really looking forward to the whole adventure. Thank for all the help that everyon here has been in planning our trip.

We also are on the Radiance next summer with Icy Strait as a stop. We are booked with Keith for both a bear and a whale excursion.

You will love going out with Keith of TECKK Outfitters. We are going in 12 days to do some fishing, some sightseeing and relaxing. Can't wait to see Keith's new boat!

BarbaraD - Glad you were able to see the bears. When you get a chance, post some pictures on our meet and mingle thread. I'd love to see photos of the one animal that I missed.

Chilkoot - 26 years ago, I did take a 14 day cruise to Alaska on a small non-luxury ship. Homer, Valdez, Prince Rupert, BC, Ketchikan, Sitka, Juneau, and even downtown Anchorage were our ports. So you can imagine my shock and dissappointment at seeing streets in Juneau and Ketchikan that looked like Nassau not Alaska.

Handwcruisers and Beach4me - We were there on a perfectly beautiful and sunny day. I got a sunburn! We learned about the history of salmon, the Tlingit culture, dance, masks and language. The stores were locally run...not a diamond store in sight! I sat by the beach and did some watercolor paintings. Later (from the ship) we saw about 6 or 8 whales converge just off of that point. Our friends went halibut fishing and were successful. Don't expect the sunburn; but do expect a lovely place. Enjoy.

BarbaraD - Glad you were able to see the bears. When you get a chance, post some pictures on our meet and mingle thread. I'd love to see photos of the one animal that I missed.

Chilkoot - 26 years ago, I did take a 14 day cruise to Alaska on a small non-luxury ship. Homer, Valdez, Prince Rupert, BC, Ketchikan, Sitka, Juneau, and even downtown Anchorage were our ports. So you can imagine my shock and dissappointment at seeing streets in Juneau and Ketchikan that looked like Nassau not Alaska.

Handwcruisers and Beach4me - We were there on a perfectly beautiful and sunny day. I got a sunburn! We learned about the history of salmon, the Tlingit culture, dance, masks and language. The stores were locally run...not a diamond store in sight! I sat by the beach and did some watercolor paintings. Later (from the ship) we saw about 6 or 8 whales converge just off of that point. Our friends went halibut fishing and were successful. Don't expect the sunburn; but do expect a lovely place. Enjoy.

Thanks, We hava a fishing tour scheduled with Glacier Wind, Teresa has been so helpful on the phone. Last time I spoke to her there we just one other couple on the tour with us. We would like to eat at the Office afterward if its not to crowded. Looking forward to doing some real Alaskan shopping there. And in all the other ports we don't plan on even going down the main shopping street, no Diamond stores fo us!! I am so prepared for this trip thanks to all the info I have read on this board. My husband says that I know enough now to write a book. But we are also prepared for whatever comes along and will enjoy ourselves no matter. We are taking plenty of layers, insect repellant, good Gore-tex rain gear, lots of memory cards and spare batteries for the camaras, etc.

Thanks again for everyones input.

Fortunately, I don't recall seeing any diamond stores at ISP last summer! :) We had a wonderful time while we were there. We went whale watching with Glacier Wind, which was awesome, and Teresa dropped us off at the Office Bar after our trip. She said that we could call her for a ride back to the ship after our lunch, but we chose to walk back to take in the scenery.

Fortunately, I don't recall seeing any diamond stores at ISP last summer! :) We had a wonderful time while we were there. We went whale watching with Glacier Wind, which was awesome, and Teresa dropped us off at the Office Bar after our trip. She said that we could call her for a ride back to the ship after our lunch, but we chose to walk back to take in the scenery.

Thank you. I was under the impression that one of the nice things about Icy Strait Point was the absence of the Caribbean type jewelry stores and your post gives me hope that it is true. We will be there on Radiance in June, 2010. :) As far as those stores remaining open in other ports year round, one would have to figure out where they would get their business from during the months when the cruise ships aren't visiting. Just check out the population figures for those communities outside of tourist season.:rolleyes:

Hi negc, there's definitely no special shopping presentation before arriving at ISP! :cool: Just in front of the tender pier is the large converted cannery building. Inside there is a series of shops, including those that carry the traditional t-shirts, local crafts, and such, which will take care of any shopping urges. There's also a salmon canning demonstration and the availability to purchase/mail home canned salmon. Other than the variety/general store in downtown Hoonah, I think this was just about it for shopping as far as what I saw!

I'm guessing that the large chain jewlery stores in other ports either go on shutdown or drastically reduce their hours of operation. Maybe someone who lives in AK can answer this question?

Hi negc, there's definitely no special shopping presentation before arriving at ISP! :cool: Just in front of the tender pier is the large converted cannery building. Inside there is a series of shops, including those that carry the traditional t-shirts, local crafts, and such, which will take care of any shopping urges. There's also a salmon canning demonstration and the availability to purchase/mail home canned salmon. Other than the variety/general store in downtown Hoonah, I think this was just about it for shopping as far as what I saw!

I'm guessing that the large chain jewlery stores in other ports either go on shutdown or drastically reduce their hours of operation. Maybe someone who lives in AK can answer this question?

I'm guessing that you are absolutely correct. Not many customers for their merchandise during the months when tourists are absent. The shopping that you describe in ISP is more than sufficient for my needs.

Archived