Celebrity SOlstice with a teen?

Onessa

Am I reading too much into this or did we make a mistake booking the Solstice for a family trip? Has anyone done a Celebrity Med cruise with tweens and/or teens - and how did it go?

We've done Med cruises the past few years over the American T-giving timeline at the end of November. We've always done RCCI and been happy. Since we've done RCCI's itineraries, we decided to do a Celebrity Eastern Med cruise.

I posted to the Celebrity thread for this cruise indicating that ". . . me, my DH and DD (14YO)" would be on this cruise. While everyone else announcing their intention to take the cruise had been enthusiastically greeted -- we were ignored.

I'm hoping that either I'm just being too thin-skinned or the 100+ pax who have joined the cruise's "meet-and-mingle" are not necessarily representative of who cruises Celebrity. On our RCCI cruises there have always been at least a handfull of other teens and our DD has been warmly welcomed by our adult dining companions and other adults. Are Celebrity pax GOFs (grumpy old farts)? Will they have problems with the company of my DD?

Rollcalls can be a strange place IMO. On our first Mariner cruise, the woman who started the rollcall was very aggresive towards anything anyone else suggested. We decided not to attend the meet and mingle and weren't surprised when this woman posted a negative review after getting into a fight with their waiter over allowing their 19 yr old to drink wine with dinner as she does at home.

Our second Mariner cruise rollcall was started by a wonderful, helpful woman. That rollcall also had a woman who knew everthing and had done everything at least 9 times even though she was going on her second cruise.:rolleyes: We did attend the meet and mingle because I wanted to meet the woman who had started the rollcall. Unfortunately, she did not attend since she was having a bad day. We did end up meeting her after the wine tasting when I heard her introduce herself to someone, she had a very unique name so I knew it had to be her. It ended up being a woman we had been battling against all week in trivia. I am happy I did introduce myself to her since we ran into her many times the rest of the week. I have since read that she has passed away after a long battle with cancer. I have a recipe of hers that she had posted on a floataway lounge thread that makes me smile everytime I make it.

I would post one more time and see if they respond. Sometimes if you post at a time they are talking about something else, you can get missed by accident. If you get no response the second time, then I would just move on and enjoy your cruise with your family. I think all of us have experienced posting with invisible ink at least once.;)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a cruise booked on Celebrity Solstice in May doing the Caribbean. I'm calling my TA on tuesday and cancelling. We've decided to try the new Carnival Dream it seems to us that there will be far more for the grandkids (16,14&10) to do. We love Celebrity but just feel the kids will get bored. We'll be new to Carnival but am confident we will have a great vacation. Good Luck on your voyage and have a wonderful time.

Am I reading too much into this or did we make a mistake booking the Solstice for a family trip? Has anyone done a Celebrity Med cruise with tweens and/or teens - and how did it go?

I'm hoping that either I'm just being too thin-skinned or the 100+ pax who have joined the cruise's "meet-and-mingle" are not necessarily representative of who cruises Celebrity. On our RCCI cruises there have always been at least a handfull of other teens and our DD has been warmly welcomed by our adult dining companions and other adults. Are Celebrity pax GOFs (grumpy old farts)? Will they have problems with the company of my DD?

I would expect that you'll come out OK as nearly impossible on a ship the size of Solstice not to have some other families like yourselves on board. If you do experience GOF's reacting to the mere presence of your family just hold your heads high, smile, be courteous and don't let anyone interfere with your fun!

Please post when you get back what the experience for families is like as I have also been interested in trying Solstice or Equinox as an alternative to RCCL.

Archived