What do you expect on your first cruise?

Harry and Lucille

I have notice over the years that the perception of the American Tourist has changed around the world. I don't think that it is just the politics. For whatever reason, we have lost a sense of civil discourse. For the first timers traveling to other countries and cultures, just a reminder. Those 'Locals" that you will meet, live by different standards, have families, customs, etc. and, when the cruise ship comes in, it's just another day for them to get up and go to work to provide for those families. This also includes those folks working aboard the ship to provide you with the best vacation experience that they can give you. While they work for low wages, tips, long hours, and all. Please remember to take the time to personally touch their souls and let them know that you appreciate what they are doing. It does not always take money to do it. I have found that whenever I have been told that I was appreciated, I never have forgotten that person. We have worked hard for our vacation time and want to have the best experience. I have learned that we are no different than anybody else on this planet. As an example: Every day when your room steward meets you in the hallway you get a 'good morning', 'good afternoon', good evening. Just for the feeling, stop, look in their eyes, shake their hand and return the greeting and watch their eyes light up. We are there for the 'personal' touch' and, they are doing their job. Return the favor.

Harry :cool:

I expect to take too many clothes.

I expect to have too little sleep.

I expect to eat too much.

I hope to meet many new friends.

I hope to be a friend.

I pray for a safe trip that builds memories for a lifetime.

Remember in life there is always something old to be sought and enjoyed always something new to be found treasured and shared.

Later

We always try to engage our cabin steward, dining room staff, shop owners, etc. on a personal basis. Only once did we encounter someone (a cabin steward) who did not seem to be interested in our efforts. Maybe she was just shy, I don't know...but after several attempts we just respected the fact the she preferred to remain aloof and we would just smile as we passed and otherwise left her alone. I agree with you...we should treat the people we encounter in our travels the same way we would expect to be treated by visitors to our country, whatever country that may be. Courtesy and friendliness speak volumes!

Unfortunately, the rudness of the foreign traveler is not new. 45-50 years ago, a book was written called The Ugly American. I have always kept it in mind as I travel. I cringe at what some on my fellow travelers do and say. But I don't think we are any worse than the European colonial powers were, in regarding the native populations of their colonies as slightly less than human. Our error is that we should have learned from history. But then, many who travel today did not pass history...EM

Harry and Lucille,

Well stated and well written. Sadly though it does seem that we Americans are not as polite or thoughtful as we should be. Of course each country has its very bad apples but to me, after 30 cruises, I have witnessed behavior by Americans on cruise ships that truly made me sad.

Too many for example have absolutely no idea that most Filipinos who work on cruise ships study English in school for many years. And that while they have their own language (Tagalog) they can read, write and understand English exceptionally well.

For those who are considering a cruise, that if you do go, remember the golden rule...treat everyone as you want to be treated.

Very good posting. I am well aware of the many different customs and languages in the world and love to find out about them. I try to treat everyone as a fellow inhabitant of our earth. I am always amazed at the number of people in this world who not only speak their native tongue but English as well. The many differences in customs, language and particularly English always leave me amazed. I love to discover the differences in what the Australians, English and other English speakers say.

I am going to throw some shrimp on the barbie but then I remembered that I left them in the boot on my carriage. I suppose I will have to get the torch out to find them.

Harry and Lucille,

Well stated and well written. Sadly though it does seem that we Americans are not as polite or thoughtful as we should be. Of course each country has its very bad apples but to me, after 30 cruises, I have witnessed behavior by Americans on cruise ships that truly made me sad.

Too many for example have absolutely no idea that most Filipinos who work on cruise ships study English in school for many years. And that while they have their own language (Tagalog) they can read, write and understand English exceptionally well.

For those who are considering a cruise, that if you do go, remember the golden rule...treat everyone as you want to be treated.

OMG. To read these posts, you would think that the only rude people in the entire world are Americans! :mad: While I don't disagree that one should take the time to be considerate, we are certainly NOT the only culture to have uncouth louts. Anyone can be discourteous and I find it highly offensive to generalize Americans as "rude".

In MNSHO, one can and will find brash behavior in all nationalities. It depends quite a lot on what you consider boorish conduct. I find it offensive when a man from another country (and I won't say where - but you know who you are) will subjugate his wife in public. But in his culture it is perfectly acceptable and even natural.

Sometimes one unintentionally offends. I found out rather quickly during a trip to Mexico that it was considered rude not to kiss both cheeks of the other person when introduced. In America, this is just not a common practice and we value our "personal space". So when we don't capitulate we are categorized as uncivil? That's just wrong!

Don't misunderstand, I have always tried to be polite because I was raised by the golden rule. I just don't think that boorish behavior is reserved for the Americans. And, yes, I'll say so loud and clear. You can sign me....

Loud American - loud and proud

I expect to go with a very open mind, relax and have a wonderful time :)

I agree!

And to add to the above posts, just remember the golden rule.

"Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see"- Mark Twain

Beeing a true european*, I can say that in 99% of the times when I meet citizens from USA**, i get a great and positive impression. Most of you are warm-hearted and nice persons.

But that last percent is often destroying the image many of us got of US citizens.. Most because they often act quite ignorant. One example of this is when people in this forum is complaining that the information on the cruiseships that is doing european ports, is announced not only in english but several languages. It allso quite funny to read when people find it so hard to deal with different currencies***. ..And some of the US citizens need to calm down the "world police" attitude****

I bet many US citizens got both positive and negative points about europeans. Europeans is like US citizens: ALL DIFFERENT, ALL EQUAL!

Anyway: Welcome to Europe, welcome to Norway, welcome to Latvia!

*(from Norway, but living in Latvia)

**(in my mind americans is everyone from both south- and north-america, that why I dont use the word americans)

***(especially if they are doing the scandinavian and baltic countries..)

****(I am still very thankful that US helped my country rebuild with the marshall-programme after WW2)

As an example: Every day when your room steward meets you in the hallway you get a 'good morning', 'good afternoon', good evening. Just for the feeling, stop, look in their eyes, shake their hand and return the greeting and watch their eyes light up. We are there for the 'personal' touch' and, they are doing their job. Return the favor.

Harry :cool:

Although I agree with the sentiment of your post, the above IMO is a bit over the top;) I have worked in the travel industry for many years, and yes, we are trained to do the good morning....afternoon etc etc. We are there to serve our customers, but a simple hello and a smile is sufficient I think, as you walk by. We have many customers to serve and time is of the essence!!

So back to your original question, what do I expect on my first cruise. I expect to have a wonderful time, visiting places I have never been before, and being well looked after by the cruise line personnel!!!!

Archived