Use of a Travel Debit card on board

StarSun

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me. We are due to cruise out of Sydney Australia on board Diamond Princess in February 2010. We are looking at using a travel visa debit card that we have purchased in $US to pay for our on board expenses. Previously when travelling with Princess, we have had to register our general Mastercard to pay. Has anyone tried registering a Travel card prior to embarking for an express check out? If there was a problem, any suggestions as to ways around that??:)

Looking forward to some helpful ideas.

Glenn and Mary-Anne

The "debit" cards sold in the US plainly state they are not valid on Cruise Ships. Be sure the one you are looking at will be accepted on Cruise Ships. You could also load your regular credit card up front with the money you would spend buying a card and just draw on that while cruising. The cruise line will want a credit card, I believe, not a debit card. Enjoy your cruise!:)

B.

Pre-paid debit cards cannot be used.

Not sure about Princess, I sail Carnival. With Carnival, I can call their gift department and purchase "Funship Dollars". Basically purchasing on board credit.

Last cruise, I started out with $1000 on board credit.

No, those visa travel cards will not be accepted for a cruise, not even on Princess. You will either have to use a regular credit card, a debit card that's attached to your checking or savings account or cash.

Just send the money to your credit card (assuming you aren't carrying a large balance!!) and you'll have a "credit" to charge against. Or, just wait until after the cruise, and pay off the entire cruise charge on your next bill.

OR--just bring cash, put it on your account...you can do a "cash" account.

Annie, you are confusing a debit card linked with a bank account (and therefore a credit profile) and a prepaid card that anyone with $50 or $500 can walk in and buy anonymously. Prepaid cards, with a finite amount of $$, are not accepted on most cruiselines.

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me. We are due to cruise out of Sydney Australia on board Diamond Princess in February 2010. We are looking at using a travel visa debit card that we have purchased in $US to pay for our on board expenses. Previously when travelling with Princess, we have had to register our general Mastercard to pay. Has anyone tried registering a Travel card prior to embarking for an express check out? If there was a problem, any suggestions as to ways around that??:)

Looking forward to some helpful ideas.

Glenn and Mary-Anne

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

A standard debit card, VISA or Mastercard, is most welcome on cruises; that's all I've used for several years, as it's tied to a bank account. Different than a prepaid travel card.

Several years ago I saw that AmEx was offering a travel card, but as it had so many restirictions on where it could be used, I don't think they had it for a year before they cancelled them.

If it is like a Visa Buxx or a Payoneer card with your name on it then it should be fine. These are cards you load and are not tied into an account. Our kids have them for travel and had only minor problems with them.

I have heard that the cards WITHOUT your name are practically impossible to use.

There are problems with using debit cards in general. The fraud protection with them (at least in the US) is practically nonexistant.

Thought of something else--register you CC with Princess. During the cruise change your method of payment.

Wow, I have used my debit cards on 3 cruises so far. and it plainly states DEBIT on the front, and has the visa logo.

You have the worse type of card, a credit/debit card. It can be used without a PIN number and if you have funds in your account will be taken out in a few days. If lost, people can drain your account and you have no recourse.

I wish people would understand the difference between an ATM card, a pure Debit card, a credit card, a prepaid debit card, and these Visa/MasterCard/Debit card.

The Visa/MasterCard Debit card is the worse card one can have and carry. Either use a Debit card, where you always need to enter a pin number and/or a credit card that offers some protection be law. These hybrid cards are bad news.

http://www.pirg.org/consumer/banks/debit/fact.htm

I am so glad I came across this thread as I have been looking at ways to manage my travel money and I was very partial to the "debit" card where you load your money on pre holiday. I am now very leaning towards a credit card (I have seen one that is specific to travel, ie 0% foreign exchange fee)

Annie, you are confusing a debit card linked with a bank account (and therefore a credit profile) and a prepaid card that anyone with $50 or $500 can walk in and buy anonymously. Prepaid cards, with a finite amount of $$, are not accepted on most cruiselines.

My card is a debit card, not tied to a checking or savings account. I walked into the drug store and purchased the card starter package, then 6 days a later a card with my name came in the mail. Now my paycheck is direct deposited to the account every 2 weeks. OR, I can go to any drugstore, walmart or even western union and wire money to my account in minutes.

This card has been accepted on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, 3 NCL cruises as well as Costa and Princess. I can use a pin number for a transaction, or because of the visa logo can use it as a signature transaction, however the money still comes out immediatly.

You have the worse type of card, a credit/debit card. It can be used without a PIN number and if you have funds in your account will be taken out in a few days. If lost, people can drain your account and you have no recourse.

I wish people would understand the difference between an ATM card, a pure Debit card, a credit card, a prepaid debit card, and these Visa/MasterCard/Debit card.

The Visa/MasterCard Debit card is the worse card one can have and carry. Either use a Debit card, where you always need to enter a pin number and/or a credit card that offers some protection be law. These hybrid cards are bad news.

http://www.pirg.org/consumer/banks/debit/fact.htm

Unfortuatnly my ex-husband screwed up my accounts which will not be fixed for about 2 more years, then I can get a real account again. Due to his fraud and the fact that we shared the account, I myself can not get a bank account until it has been 5 years. The countdown has begun. I at this point don't really have a choice in the type of account I have, but I do keep track of my balance daily, and I get a text message every time it is used, so if someone stole my number, and used it, i would know immediatly.

Thanks though

My card is a debit card, not tied to a checking or savings account. I walked into the drug store and purchased the card starter package, then 6 days a later a card with my name came in the mail. Now my paycheck is direct deposited to the account every 2 weeks. OR, I can go to any drugstore, walmart or even western union and wire money to my account in minutes.

This card has been accepted on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, 3 NCL cruises as well as Costa and Princess. I can use a pin number for a transaction, or because of the visa logo can use it as a signature transaction, however the money still comes out immediatly.

Another person that has no idea what they have. Of course the card is tied to a checking/saving account. You cannot direct deposit a pay check except to a bank account. They accepted the card because it is a credit card and not a debit card. You need a pin number with a debit card!!!!!!!!!

Again, this is the worse type of card to have where with only the card number and no pin one can empty your account and you have no recourse. Bet you pay a fee for every transaction.

Don't get a hybrid debit/credit card. http://www.pirg.org/consumer/banks/debit/fact.htm

If it is like a Visa Buxx or a Payoneer card with your name on it then it should be fine. These are cards you load and are not tied into an account. Our kids have them for travel and had only minor problems with them.

I have heard that the cards WITHOUT your name are practically impossible to use.

There are problems with using debit cards in general. The fraud protection with them (at least in the US) is practically nonexistant.

Thought of something else--register you CC with Princess. During the cruise change your method of payment.

Thanks everyone for your help. The visa card is only available from banks here in Australia, with legal identification needed to purchase, just the same as a normal credit card. It also has the users name clearly printed on the front to be used just the same as a credit card. The only difference is that the card is pre loaded with the currency of you choice.

It is screened by the bank for fraud with every transaction. We thought that this was a safer way to use our spending money while onboard.

The last cruise we did in Dec 2008, there were 6 transactions that we didn't make, appear in our bank account, they were linked back the the cruise line even after we had paid our ship board account. We cancelled our credit card straight away, and within 3 days the money was refunded. Of course this time we are very nervous about having any card linked to an every day bank account. That is why we thought that Travel Visa Card was a good idea.

Anymore info would be greatly accepted.

Thanks Glenn & Mary-anne

Archived