Katakolon to Olympia

Bohemian

Hello all,

We had a wonderful time in Katakolon. We did get to visit the ruins, and the museum was indeed closed.....or at least not open until noon. But we had a great time regardless. We ended up going to a restaurant on the beach that served some samples of Greek food and entertained us with some Greek dancing. I even got to participate.

I am so glad you enjoyed your time there and had the opportunity to tour the ruins.

I felt awful when I posted (see post #65 above) about the official government site being wrong, probably too late for you to read.

I am so glad you enjoyed your time there and had the opportunity to tour the ruins.

I felt awful when I posted (see post #65 above) about the official government site being wrong, probably too late for you to read.

Oh it is quite alright. We had a great time! I wasn't the least bit upset. See....here is me dancing. :D

th_CruiseTripDay3KatakolonGreece214.jpg

Oh it is quite alright. We had a great time! I wasn't the least bit upset. See....here is me dancing. :D

th_CruiseTripDay3KatakolonGreece214.jpg

Thanks for the nice photo! Did you also get a picture of you and your travel companions at the starting line in the stadium?

I will be in Katakolon/Olympia on November 10th on the Grand Princess. I had found this website which has the schedule for the trains between Katakolon and Olympia, but I am not sure if the info is correct. I also searched the train schedule on the Hellenic Railways Organisation (OSE) website for November 10th and there is only one train going to Olympia and three trains going back to Katakolon. The times of the trains are different from the first website and would only allow for a little under 2 hours in Olympia, which is a little tight.

Which website has the correct info? I don't want to show up at the train station in Katakolon and not be able to go to Olympia because I have the wrong train schedule. Should I be looking at another way to get to Olympia, like a rental car or taxi? Please help! Thank you!

As far as I can tell from my own research, the OSE site is the more trustworthy as they actually run the train. I've found that websites with tourist info proliferate in Greece, but many have outdated information. As the train schedules change with the seasons, I think it's highly likely that the first info is not correct.

I'd check the schedule again as you get closer to your trip. It could be that the schedule changes again. If those trains were your only option, I'd look into another plan. (The information I see shows only 1 train going to Olympia and 2 trains back, not 3??)

Also, since Nov. 10 is a Monday, you'll face the same issues with the museum opening late.

Thanks, Cynthia. You're right that there are only 2 trains back and not 3. I was in a slight panic when I wrote the message. I will definitely look into another way to get to Olympia.

And actually Nov 10 is a Tuesday.

Oops, you are right! Don't know where I got Monday out of that.....:o

Good luck with your plans. Several have said renting a car is an easy and efficient way of getting to Olympia.

• 4 weeks later...

We ported on Katakalon in October and I followed the advice given by a fellow CC member. Get off ship and it's an easy walk all the way through town to the small yellow train station. I asked people in town along the way to make sure I was going in the right direction. I walked about a half mile through town until I found the train station sitting right next to the tracks. The schedule was posted clearly on the door. No one was selling tickets at the station- you buy them on the train. The train's last stop in Olympia is something like 3:30- so leave early in the day to give yourself enough time. It's so worth it. You pay 2.50 Euros for a pleasant ride to Olympia. It's an easy walk to the museum and the ruins from there. I ran into fellow cruise passengers who paid much more for the same experience I was having. I loved taking the train and meandering around the museum and ruins at my leisure. The museum and ruins was 9 euros combined I think. You can do this one on you own!

I wholeheartedly agree with Nina-le.

Katakolon is very easy to do on your own.

The times for the trains are posted on the door of the "train station" shack.

Be prepared for a nyc "rush hour" like jam on the train--both to and from Olympia. (I grew up in NYC and rode the subway everyday for my trek to Stuyvesant H.S. from Queens) Also, the trains came slightly early so get to the train earlier than posted. (one couple had to run to catch the train...)

Very easy to get to the ruins from the train station in Olympia.

My suggestion is to go to the museum first--ask for the free leaflet/map when you buy your ticket there-- it's for the museum and for the archeologic site.

My suggestion is to go to the museum first--ask for the free leaflet/map when you buy your ticket there-- it's for the museum and for the archeologic site.

Good suggestion. Going to the museum first, especially if you are traveling there DIY, truly will add to your enjoyment/appreciation of the site itself, particularly because in many areas, the ruins look just like piles of rubble and the signage there is not very informative. The museum itself has excellent label copy.

Hi all, we will be in Katakolon in September and I'd like to find the best way to get from the ship to Olympia and back. I don't want to rent a car and from what I've been reading, the train doesn't leave you enough time to explore the ruins, museum and the village. The 4 hour ship's excursion costs $82. Would it be cheaper to hire a taxi or a local tour company and still have a good chance of getting back to the ship on time? Thanks.

Another vote for the train. After being to Ephesus, Olympia looked like I could have missed it completely. But at 2 1/2 euro's per person for the train round trip and 9 euro's for the museum and grounds how could you afford not to go.

• 2 weeks later...

We are thinking of catching the 8:36 train and then the noon train back. We will hustle our buns to catch the AM train, walk to the Museum, do it first, then the ruins, and then catch the return train.

We really don't have a long time as our ship sails out at 2 PM.

Since the next Winter Olympics will be here in Vancouver, BC come Feb. 2010, it will mean a lot to us to experience Olympia!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I will be on MSC and the port time is from 8AM to 1:00pm. I am not sure if we can get off the boat in time for the train. Also, the train gets back to port too late around 12:45pm , too close for comfort?

So we're thinking to rent a car as most suggested. How long does it take to check out a car? Usually for car rentals, you have to wait for 30 minutes to do all papaer processing?

Also, just in case we can make the 8:30 AM train, are there taxi from Olympia to the port?

Thanks!

Hi All,

I will be on MSC and the port time is from 8AM to 1:00pm. I am not sure if we can get off the boat in time for the train. Also, the train gets back to port too late around 12:45pm , too close for comfort?

So we're thinking to rent a car as most suggested. How long does it take to check out a car? Usually for car rentals, you have to wait for 30 minutes to do all papaer processing?

Also, just in case we can make the 8:30 AM train, are there taxi from Olympia to the port?

Thanks!

Can only help with your second question; it probably took us about five minutes to get the car from the rental place across the street, signing a paper, getting the printed directions, then a few minutes more while I made sure I knew how to work the car (the a/c required a push and a turn, rather than just a turn). I pre-booked because I do not know how to drive a stick, only an automatic, more scarce in Europe.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

Katakolon is a port stop on our May cruise of the Greek isle. We're set to dock from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

We would like to go to Olympia and then visit the Mercury Winery in Katakolon.

What is the best way to do this? We don't feel comfortable renting cars. Can we accomplish this by train or bus?

Also, can you offer any tips on tour companies that could possibly take us to Olympia? I know it's an easy trip, but I would like to to have a guide so we can learn more about the site.

Thank you all for your help!

Hello Everyone,

Katakolon is a port stop on our May cruise of the Greek isle. We're set to dock from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

What is the best way to do this? We don't feel comfortable renting cars. Can we accomplish this by train or bus?

Also, can you offer any tips on tour companies that could possibly take us to Olympia? I know it's an easy trip, but I would like to to have a guide so we can learn more about the site.

If you really don't want to rent a car, you can always hire a taxi for the duration but it will cost you alot more. And for me personally, it is always far more stressful having a crazy taxi driver drive me around than to drive myself around in a rental car.

Hello Everyone,

You can take a train to and from Olympia, but not to the winery (but the wine, IMO, is not that great in Greece!). No buses; it's a very small town, so your options are 40 Euros per hour for a taxi "tour" or 50 Euros for the day for a car (which includes gas), or, if your timing works, the three trains to and from Olympia each day.

You will not find an easier place to rent a car; right at the pier; practically no traffic; 30 minutes drive each way, no tolls and free parking right at the museum in Olympia.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been able to get a current schedule for the train to olympia. Each time i try, i get a note saying "no departing route found". I have tried several times over the past week. I also sent emails to the greek tourist bureau and to the greek railway requesting this info.....no answer...i assume the train is still running....john hildebrandt

Hi all

I really urge anyone visiting Olympia to rent a car. It really was the easiest thing to do and the drive to the ancient site was literally just a couple of turns. Very easy to find.

Feel free to email me at Dee1161 at aol dot com if you have any questions.

Dee

• 1 month later...
jstducky is correct here is the train schedule when my son and i was there

this is how the station look like

232323232%7Ffp8%3B8%3Enu%3D32%3B4%3E456%3E452%3EWSNRCG%3D3284%3B6%3A898335nu0mrj

THE TRAIN TIME TABLE 232323232%7Ffp8%3B%3B%3Enu%3D32%3B4%3E456%3E452%3EWSNRCG%3D3284%3B6%3A89%3B335nu0mrj

THE TRAIN ITSELF

232323232%7Ffp8%3A%3B%3Enu%3D32%3B4%3E456%3E452%3EWSNRCG%3D3284%3B6%3A8%3A2335nu0mrj

YOUR STOP232323232%7Ffp8%3B7%3Enu%3D32%3B4%3E456%3E452%3EWSNRCG%3D3284%3B6%3A8%3A6335nu0mrj

thank you for your pics, etc. I hope you don't mine that I copied them and added them into my cruise thread. This was most helpful

Linda

PS Boehmian-I see we are traveling in the same areas. Will meet you in 2011

Heard everyone talking about renting a car or taking the train. However, we won't arrive not until 12:30pm-6:30pm and I believe taking the train is not feasible since the last train return from Olympia to Katakolon is 3:42pm. If we don't want to rent a car, does anyone have taking the bus before? Is that an option?

Please advise. Thanks.

Archived