Acapulco - Cliff Divers

newport dave

We will be calling here in December whilst we're on the Coral, just wondering if they dive all day or is it just at set times. Also do you have to pay to see them ie. entrance fee, or is it just a tip.

Any info is much appreciated.

David

The cruise ship terminal is at the north end of Acapulco Bay. From there you can either walk, which is what I did, or take a taxi from the terminal which will cost about $8 - $10 to La Quebrada – about a 10 minute ride. I wouldn’t recommend walking unless you are in reasonable shape, it is uphill obviously and will be very hot. The walk back was much more pleasant going downhill and I rather enjoyed poking around the little side streets.

Some say the best view is from the top area located beside a ticket booth, cost about $3. But there are plenty of areas were you can watch the divers for free. When I was there last October, the dives started at 1 p.m. with several more in the evening; 7:15 p.m., 8:30 p.m., 9:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m., during which they hold torches. The shows last about 30 minutes. Once the tour busses leave after the 1 p.m. dives, you can take some great pictures of the ocean, which is a lovely deep blue – and keep an eye out for the little green salamanders…

If you are interested in Mexican silver jewelry, there is also a nice jewelry store at La Quebrada...

There are special show times to accommodate the cruise ship passengers, and there are set times at which the divers perform daily. You can attend any of the shows and not be part of the cruise-sponsored excursion . . . by just showing up on your own without taking the bus from the ship.

I prefer watching the divers from the wide-winding staircase taking you to water level. Bring sun glasses and a hat if you watch from the steps, during daytime.

There's a charge at each show, with the show for the cruise ship passengers being slightly higher. With the entry/show fee, outdoors, you get a bottle of beer, pop or water . . . at no additional charge.

After the show the divers come upstairs and accept tips and they also pose with you, if you want, for pictures after which you give them something like the equivalent of US$2 (MX$20), or more, depending upon how well you enjoyed the activities.

Taxi fare from the ship terminal to the divers shouldn't cost you more than MX$40 for a cab-full . . . less than US$4. I enjoy the walk up to the divers but understand that some folks will enjoy the walk down the hill (not all that steep, IMO) better.

Click on the link to my photo albums, in my signature line below, and you'll find a special album featuring the cliff-divers.

Enjoy your visit!

There are special show times to accommodate the cruise ship passengers, and there are set times at which the divers perform daily. You can attend any of the shows and not be part of the cruise-sponsored excursion . . . by just showing up on your own without taking the bus from the ship.

I prefer watching the divers from the wide-winding staircase taking you to water level. Bring sun glasses and a hat if you watch from the steps, during daytime.

There's a charge at each show, with the show for the cruise ship passengers being slightly higher. With the entry/show fee, outdoors, you get a bottle of beer, pop or water . . . at no additional charge.

After the show the divers come upstairs and accept tips and they also pose with you, if you want, for pictures after which you give them something like the equivalent of US$2 (MX$20), or more, depending upon how well you enjoyed the activities.

Taxi fare from the ship terminal to the divers shouldn't cost you more than MX$40 for a cab-full . . . less than US$4. I enjoy the walk up to the divers but understand that some folks will enjoy the walk down the hill (not all that steep, IMO) better.

Click on the link to my photo albums, in my signature line below, and you'll find a special album featuring the cliff-divers.

Enjoy your visit!

Thanks for the info and great photos! BTW, do you know anything about Huatulco? We will also be stopping here for the day. First time there and wondering what not to miss!:)

For all those who have walked up the hill, could you tell me how long it takes, My wife and I both like to walk a lot on holiday to keep the pounds off, so I don't see it being a problem.

I've made almost the exact walk scores of times - from the area of the cruise ship terminal to where the divers perform. A steady walk that gives you time to gaze at Acapulco as you walk by it will probably take 30-minutes.

For all those who have walked up the hill, could you tell me how long it takes, My wife and I both like to walk a lot on holiday to keep the pounds off, so I don't see it being a problem.

Thanks

David

Here is a satellite view to give you an idea of the area. Fort San Diego is in the upper right corner. The cruise ship terminal is just below that (big, red-roofed building). If you walk to the left down the main drag it will take you to the "Malecon" (main pier). Across the street is the Zocalo (town square). From that area there are a couple of roads that lead to La Quebrada (cliff diver area). One is along the Zocalo and then a left turn onto the road that leads to La Quebrada. There is another road further down the Malecon that will also take you up to that same left turn and then on to La Quebrada. The cliff diving area is over by the Hotel El Mirador. You can zoom and drag this map to really get a good idea of the area.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=16.8463587&lon=-99.910934&z=17&l=0&m=b

GOMEXICO - any recommendations as to which road to take. The one by the Zocalo or the one further down the Malecon.

Enjoy your visit!

Thank you for the link to your albums. I am going to enjoy perusing the Acapulco ones before our cruise!

Archived