Formal Nights Emerald Princess

Railengr

Yes. Actually less tuxes and dinner jackets all the time, but if you have a dinner jacket by all means wear it. (and if you sit next to someone trying to go for t shirt and jeans just smile graciously as those folk understand not irony, humor or any other cultured form of expression) :rolleyes:

As a new cruise passenger, I was wondering if white dinner jackets are still being worn on formal nights or are classic tuxes more appropriate?

Thank you

Welcome to Cruise Critic and cruising!

White dinner jackets are worn rarely and the usual formal wear that is worn is a black tuxedo. However, having said that, a white dinner jacket is certainly acceptable, and you will likely see several men wearing one.

So if the choice is to use what you have or to rent/buy something else I would go with the one you have. I bet he'll look great! :)

I've often wondered why the white jacket isn't seen more... the first time I rented one, it sounded like the right thing to do for the Caribbean with the warm weather.

It's funny in that today I and a co-worker of mine were discussing high school proms & what's worn; I'm 64 & she's in her mid-30s. I was telling her that like the old country/western song by - I think - Marty Robbins, "A white sport coat & a pink carnation" that's exactly what I wore 40-ish years ago.

I saw a few white dinner jackets on the Emerald last spring, some tuxs & some dark suits.

It's funny in that today I and a co-worker of mine were discussing high school proms & what's worn; I'm 64 & she's in her mid-30s. I was telling her that like the old country/western song by - I think - Marty Robbins, "A white sport coat & a pink carnation" that's exactly what I wore 40-ish years ago.

I saw a few white dinner jackets on the Emerald last spring, some tuxs & some dark suits.

We're right there with you--certainly remember that Marty Robbins song and, get this... :rolleyes:--my DH wore a white dinner jacket to all 4 proms we attended together -- AND our wedding--all in the 1960's.:p I still get very nostalgic when I see a white dinner jacket.:)

Hi Folks,

I thought I'd bring up some points about the wearing of Tuxedo's, after all I've seen enough of them being worn for all sorts of purposes. The proper etiquette says that a black Tuxedo should be worn after 6pm. White or a lighter color is okay for most daytime occasions. So for most formal occasions the black Tuxedo is the right choice of dress. As far as being in the carribbean or not it shouldn't matter.

But I do have 4 Tuxedo's of various colors, and I will wear them regardless of color on any night of formal occasion. So yes I do break the traditional etiquette rules, but I thought I would remind people of the proper protocol for the Tuxedo.

Hi Folks,

I thought I'd bring up some points about the wearing of Tuxedo's, after all I've seen enough of them being worn for all sorts of purposes. The proper etiquette says that a black Tuxedo should be worn after 6pm. White or a lighter color is okay for most daytime occasions. So for most formal occasions the black Tuxedo is the right choice of dress. As far as being in the carribbean or not it shouldn't matter.

But I do have 4 Tuxedo's of various colors, and I will wear them regardless of color on any night of formal occasion. So yes I do break the traditional etiquette rules, but I thought I would remind people of the proper protocol for the Tuxedo.

Of course, Princess formal nights are not "formal" dress by the traditional definition. I've been on the Emerald in the Caribbean and Ruby in the Mediterranean and white dinner jackets or tuxes are both rare - dark suits are the most common for men (and quite appropriate given the Princess guidelines) and much more casual is quite common as well (to the consternation of some).

Archived