Interesting compare of budget vs regular airlines

mountainhouse

I'm sure all these areas have been discussed.
Including how misleading those figures and statistics may be.

Top of the "list of lies" is that the average "fare" on Ryanair is €44. For many passengers, that's just the down-payment. For example, if you check just one 23 kg bag on Ryanair, it'll cost you £130 in baggage fees. Although even conventional airlines are now charging fees for some things that used to be included, this page gives some examples of how much extra it could cost you to fly Ryanair or easyJet, over and above the "fare".

Things like "average fare" and "passengers per employee" could also be totally meaningless when you compare Ryanair/easyJet against Air France/Lufthansa/BA. Those figures may include travel in long-haul premium cabins, where (for example) a cabin crew:passenger ratio of lower than 1:3 would be expected in first class. They almost certainly include short-haul premium.

And I'm not sure I would put much faith in research which generates a graphic citing an airline called "Aer Lyngus".

If I thought about it I could probably come up with some more examples but the graphic suggests full service carriers pay hefty commission to TAs which AFAIK is not true anymore.

The full service carrier rely on online sales heavily too.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe this graphic has been posted here before. I'm sure all these areas have been discussed. But I found it pretty interesting to see it all together.

This was an interesting picture :) I just wish that there were more airlines included in it. I would have especially liked a comparison between US budget airlines (Southwest, Jetblue) vs. budget airlines that are a part of a larger airline (MESA, Piedmont). :)

budget airlines that are a part of a larger airline (MESA, Piedmont). :)

I wouldn't say they are budget airlines. Merely franchises which have to follow to the beat of the airline whose livery they fly under, which in every case I can think of is a full service airline.

Archived