Oosterdam's Main Deck "J" inside rooms?

Broccolilust

Looking for anyone with any info on these rooms. My bf's step dad booked the whole lower right side, J1073 thru J1049 on the ms Oosterdam's Main deck and I was wondering if they were the square ones they show since they show up so much bigger than any other of the inside rooms on any other deck on the deck plans. I've been psycho stalking the HAL website and the room blueprints and it seems they have 2 types of inside rooms; a more linear inside room, which is like a window room but w/o a window, and a 'squarer', bigger one that I like a lot! I saw that there were a few of you bouncing around that had been in the vista ships main deck inside staterooms and I'd love some pics or info so I can find something new to obsess over. :D

I've twice stayed in one of the J-cats on Main Deck on the Noordam, and once on the E-dam, and am booked in one on the Westerdam. They're huge for one, very large for two, tight for three, and (I think) would be like living in a sardine can for four.

I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else on a Vista or Signature class ship.

When the bed is placed as it is in Greg's pictures, it's a narrow aisle on each side. When the cabin connects to the one next door, the bed is parallel to the closets, and there's a little more walking space.

We're booked in one of these J's for our January Noordam cruise and I'm so excited to know that they're everything we hoped for. We've had several of these "sideway" cabins before and choose them over an outside. We love the space and not feeling "cramped" as the long/narrow cabins tend to be.

Greg, you're not only a wealth of information, but a great photographer too. I look forward to meeting you face to face someday!

ninkb (Nancy and Jim)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I was really hoping it was one of the square rooms! Horray! I have the same feeling about the outside rooms being too cramped... even from the HAL supplied pics... if the focus is your one window or balcony door, then theres only one flow the room can have! Thanks SO MUCH for the pics! This board is a real Gem, can't believe how fast I had an answer! Hurrah!

Now, next obsession. BF's step dad says were in J1073, but its connecting room and im pretty sure were not supposed to connect to anyone. sigh. Anyway, its gonna be so fun!

Greg, you're not only a wealth of information, but a great photographer too. I look forward to meeting you face to face someday!

Thank you, Nancy and Jim ... you're very kind! Perhaps we'll have the chance to meet ... I cruise a lot and have met a lot of CCers (both active ones and lurkers) on all my cruises.

Yes, the J-category inside cabin is a special cabin in the HAL fleet ... there's nothing quite like 'em, and I'm always happy to book one over an outside if the price is right and they have one available. Sadly, they are so popular with TAs that they often get blocked off and are hard to get. Main Deck Forward is a great place to put a group if the members of that group are looking for seclusion and don't care about, or want, balconies ... there are outside and huge inside cabins there and there are no other passenger cabins above or bellow.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I was really hoping it was one of the square rooms! Horray! I have the same feeling about the outside rooms being too cramped... even from the HAL supplied pics... if the focus is your one window or balcony door, then theres only one flow the room can have! Thanks SO MUCH for the pics! This board is a real Gem, can't believe how fast I had an answer! Hurrah!

Now, next obsession. BF's step dad says were in J1073, but its connecting room and im pretty sure were not supposed to connect to anyone. sigh. Anyway, its gonna be so fun!

You are very welcome, it's a pleasure to help.

Ruth is correct, if your cabin is a connecting cabin the bed will be oriented so that it faces the cabin's door. This will make for more room on either side of the bed. Regarding that door, don't worry about it. You can hang something from it or store things in front of it, if you wish. If you're not traveling with your neighbor the door remains shut; it's actually two doors: when you open your door you'll see there's another door but not handle ... so you can't open theirs. And ditto for them. You can open both doors and gain access to each other's rooms only if both sides open their doors. So, don't worry about it.

Have a GREAT cruise!

LOL yes, I'm sure they wont be able to bust in at anytime. I was vague. We're in a big family group so we'll know whomever is on the other side. I was just made to understand initially that we'd be in a private room, but wth cares, its a free cruise!!!! Thanks!:D

Connecting cabins are just as private as non-connecting. Don't give it a second thought. If it's family next door, it might come in handy. And if you want to keep them out, it's easy---just keep your door shut.

Does cigarette smoke travel through the cracks in the door frame if you have a smoker next door? It does in hotel rooms and it has always put me off booking a cabin with a connecting door.

I've had a connecting cabin to a smoker before and I didn't notice any smoke coming through the closed connecting doors. I knew they were smokers because I could smell it out in the hall when they would open their door, but I couldn't smell it in my cabin.

Archived