Cruising on Holidays

CruisnMom007

For the last 3 Easters, we have cruised on RCCL. They had mass for 2 of the cruises. Once they had chocolate eggs on the table at dinner. This past year we cruised with Carnival over the 4th of July and was not anything special.

We've been on a cruise on Halloween (and the other cruises have been around then too). They have decorations, costume parties for adults and kids, the kids have a scavenger hunt (with parents) for candy that ends at the Camp Carnival party. On the Legend last year they also had special bar stations set up with special "Halloween" themed drinks. They also had a costume contest that was a blast to watch.

Have done several Xmas cruises. Ship is decorated, holiday music plays, tree in lobby, Santa visits with candy canes for kids, free champagne, (not for the kids!) turkey dinner. If cruising during Hanukah - menorah lighting and holiday food/songs each eve.

I've sailed July 4th and Christmas.

July 4th - only what guests chose to do. Keep in mind it's an international crew, international registry and sometimes more than half the guests are not American, so it's really not a big deal on board. However, the guests who dressed up and decorated were a lot of fun to be around!

Christmas was lovely. The decorations were beautiful and very traditional. not overpowering. There was also a menorah that was lit (although without ceremony) each day. There was a really nice Christmas show on Christmas Eve with special costumes, a beautiful set and special music. All the social staff, the dancers and singers and the orchestra participated. The kids from Camp Carnival also performed numbers - one number per age group. There was only a little participation on ours, but we were on an all-port voyage, so the kids didn't really attend Camp as much as they would on a different itin.

The cruise director told a story in a big armchair on stage surrounded by dancers and kids, they had fake snow, and Santa came! But the best part was that as much of the crew as could make it came down into the aisles of the theatre, with real lit candles, and everyone sang silent night. I was so surprised by how moving it was!

Dinner was lovely that night with a special menu on festive paper.

And the best part of Christmas cruising is that the festive spirit goes on for the rest of the cruise. It's not like at home where you start to hear boxing day commercials and all the trees are out on people's curbs by 6pm Christmas day. The islands were also all very festive, and people were all calling Merry Christmas for the days leading up to and after Christmas.

I'm aching to do another Christmas cruise! DH didn't really like being away from family though, so we must compromise :)

I've sailed July 4th and Christmas.

July 4th - only what guests chose to do. Keep in mind it's an international crew, international registry and sometimes more than half the guests are not American, so it's really not a big deal on board. However, the guests who dressed up and decorated were a lot of fun to be around!

Christmas was lovely. The decorations were beautiful and very traditional. not overpowering. There was also a menorah that was lit (although without ceremony) each day. There was a really nice Christmas show on Christmas Eve with special costumes, a beautiful set and special music. All the social staff, the dancers and singers and the orchestra participated. The kids from Camp Carnival also performed numbers - one number per age group. There was only a little participation on ours, but we were on an all-port voyage, so the kids didn't really attend Camp as much as they would on a different itin.

The cruise director told a story in a big armchair on stage surrounded by dancers and kids, they had fake snow, and Santa came! But the best part was that as much of the crew as could make it came down into the aisles of the theatre, with real lit candles, and everyone sang silent night. I was so surprised by how moving it was!

Dinner was lovely that night with a special menu on festive paper.

And the best part of Christmas cruising is that the festive spirit goes on for the rest of the cruise. It's not like at home where you start to hear boxing day commercials and all the trees are out on people's curbs by 6pm Christmas day. The islands were also all very festive, and people were all calling Merry Christmas for the days leading up to and after Christmas.

I'm aching to do another Christmas cruise! DH didn't really like being away from family though, so we must compromise :)

I would love to do a Christmas sailing. I have only been onboard when they started decorating for the holiday. Looked like it would be beautiful. Have sailed on Thanksgiving and absolutely loved it! Great Thanksgiving meal.

On our recent Freedom cruise, we left July 4 and there wasn't much in the way of events or activities because it kind of sneaked up on them as John Heald put it. They did do an American history trivia that evening. We weren't close enough to see shore to see fireworks but many people inquired with him. I know John mentioned on his blog how he received a complaint about from a foreign guest "that we are all not Americans" and others shouldn't be subjected to celebrating our holiday etc.

Legend 2007 for 4th of July - no real celebration but they did sing patriotic songs in the MDR that night.

Spirit 2008 Thankgiving - served special traditional menu in the MDR. (in addition to regular offerings, this was on a formal night)

Spirit 2009 Easter (debarked Easter morning) - Camp Carnival had a 'hunt' with Easter theme for kids & parents to do together. Seder was also held for those who wished to attend at 3pm on Wed.

I've sailed Thanksgiving week a few times, and on different lines. The only thing I've noticed is that they make sure that turkey is on the dinner menu on Thursday, so sometimes menu items are rearranged. If Thanksgiving falls late in the month, you will sometimes see the beginning of the holiday decorations going up.

We were on Carnival Pride Thanksgiving 07. I don't recall anything special. They did have a Thanksgiving option for dinner which all of our group (12) ordered. It wasn't quite what we are use to as a traditional Thanksgiving meal ; but it was thoughtful to have it on the menu.

Archived