Remember Hyacinth Bucket on QE2?

MollyBrown

I saw the episode the other day of "Keeping Up Appearances" when Hyacinth Bucket goes on QE2? I think that was the actual QE2 she was on and not a set.

http://wearecunard.com/2008/12/special-tribute-blog-to-qe2/

http://www.mytravelreviews.co.uk/2004/10/keeping-up-appearances-on-qe2.html

One of the very best episodes, I am sure our very good freinds, Terry & Loretta will be on to say so as well.

I do think it was all done on the ship as well.

I saw the episode the other day of "Keeping Up Appearances" when Hyacinth Bucket goes on QE2? I think that was the actual QE2 she was on and not a set.

Thanks for the reminder. I've just watched it again on Youtube. Very funny. :)

I remember when I first watched it, QE2 was still considered a luxury liner, and so there was great prestige in sailing on her then.

As beautiful as QM2 is, she is more like a cruise ship today than she is the way QE2 was then. Gradually QE2 became less of a luxury liner, and more "democratic" I suppose, so to speak.

Yes, it was an excellent episode. Easily my favourite of the series. Obviously a lot was filmed on board, but, I always thought that some scenes (especially those in thier cabin) were filmed on set? Can watch it again and again!! :)

You're correct, the Bucket cabin was a stage built set, and what a fine job they did of it!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=4CEB4CC5766A0119

Great to see QE2 dressed in her '90s frock, the "D" stairway looked much better then in that look.

I have a tradition of watching this episode on DVD as I pack for each crossing.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mrs. Routledge onboard QE2 several years ago (of course they did show the episode on the cabin TV system during that cruise)!

J

Can never tire of Mrs Boo-Kay ... also loved the one where they went "yachting"...

My very favourite line from the QE2 episode, which I think was the 1993 Christmas Special, was when Onslow, having won the cruise in some competition, was invited to dine at the Captain's table. I can't remember the exact words but he said something like "Great, you win a fancy cruise like this, and you have to eat with the crew!"

Absolutely classic.

J

Last year on our trip aboard the QE2 they showed two episodes: the one of the cruise and the one where Hyacinth was planning the trip: "Elizabeth, have you seen my holiday brochures of the QE2 and Orient Express?" As far as I know Miss Routledge was not aboard that voyage.

One amusing oddity in the cruise episode was when the head waiter told Mrs Bucket that she was not assigned to the first class (Caronia) Restaurant and had to go to Mauretania. The stateroom they occupied (whether it was a real one or a studio set) was very similar to one I occupied many years ago which, at that time, was a medium-grade first class room that had in recent years been promoted to Princess Grill.

Oh how wonderful that episode was!. I agree with other posters re "dining with the crew" and being sent to "the other dining room"

How about when they first see their "stateroom" and the line about it "Not being like the brochure "! How often have we thought that ourselves?

Last year on our trip aboard the QE2 they showed two episodes:...........

One amusing oddity in the cruise episode was when the head waiter told Mrs Bucket that she was not assigned to the first class (Caronia) Restaurant and had to go to Mauretania.

I was on the final westbound transatlantic crossing in Oct/08 and they showed various episodes of the series each day on TV during the crossing including the well known QE2 episode on the last day (each episode repeating several times in that day). Hyancith became the topic of conversation at our table most evenings.:) We did mention that it would have been a hoot if Ms. Routledge was invited to be a passenger on the final crossing but I guess that wasn't to be.

As for the waiter telling the Buckets that they were likely Mauretania passengers? - I noticed that as well. The cabin they occupied was far too large and had a large bed so obviously it was not a Mauretania cabin. However, this is television and, even with it being a set and not an actual cabin, a real size Maurentania cabin would have been difficult to house a film crew. It would be just as bad as that cozy country cottage in that Manor house that Hyancith and Richard bought.

Other differences noticed from how the ship looked in its last days? Those big comfy square brown leather chairs in the Queen's room. Also, that silly spiral stairwell they tried out that came down from the Royal Promenade and in front of the stage in the show lounge. One of our lecturers on the cruise mentioned about how bad an idea that was - it is very distracting to say the least and it didn't stay very long.

Oh, the memories.

David

I can remember two years ago we were with the Century in Civitavechhia and headed off to Rome for the day. On the return journey we ended up in some serious train trouble. To make a long story short 10 minutes before departure we raced with a a taxi up the dockside and made it.

As we approached the ship in high speed my friend suddenly cried out : STOP THE SHIP!!! We went on board in hysterical laughter... (partly because of nerves I suppose)

Reint

Thank you for posting the link to the QE2 episodes - I have never managed to catch it before, so I sat and enjoyed them yesterday, laughed myself silly, then went to pack for my QM2 crossing next week (nothing too flowery and no big hats!!):)

• 2 years later...

One amusing oddity in the cruise episode was when the head waiter told Mrs Bucket that she was not assigned to the first class (Caronia) Restaurant and had to go to Mauretania. The stateroom they occupied (whether it was a real one or a studio set) was very similar to one I occupied many years ago which, at that time, was a medium-grade first class room that had in recent years been promoted to Princess Grill.

When I saw that episode I always thought that this was nothing to do with stateroom continuity glitches - the head waiter simply could not see the name "Bouquet" on the first class list - he would have had "Bucket" on his! ;)

I saw this episode the other day. I like the way Hyacinth finally comes to terms in the end with the fact that her "stowaway" sister and spouse actually won a luxury crossing on QE2, and cuts in to do a completely goofy dance with Onslow.

And speaking of the set, I didn't really recognize QE2, except in parts possibly. But I suppose it would have been difficult to do the show on the ship itself.

I love this episode :) I thought the cabin must have been a stage set, but they made a very good job of it.

Was nice to see how QE2 used to look before the major refit in 1994. I did like D stairway in those colours.

The only down side is I can't help but notice all of the "errors" like going up the stairs to the sun deck and coming out on the boat deck. Also when the officer is told he is wanted in the radio room, he sets off in the wrong direction. :eek:

When I saw that episode I always thought that this was nothing to do with stateroom continuity glitches - the head waiter simply could not see the name "Bouquet" on the first class list - he would have had "Bucket" on his! ;)

That's funny. The actress who plays Hyacinth is hilarious. It's curious how the sound of a name can conjure up an image (well my screen name, for example, is after a being in Greek mythology who rescues sailors in distress http://www.theoi.com/Pontios/Leukothea.html but I admit it could be misconstrued as sounding pompous, as silly as that is)

I see you rescued this thread from 2009. Welcome to the board, by the way.

Yes, indeed! That was the real Queen Elizabeth 2 and the real captain, John Burton Hall, who is in the Board Room party with Daisy and Onslo (SP?). The video is wonderful for those who would like to see what the QE2 looked like in what I think is the early 1990's.

When Loretta and I were on the QE2 the first time in 1993, that particular episode was shown often on the tv in our stateroom. Several years later, we purchased the video in the PBS (Channel 13 New York) store that still shows the episodes of "Keeping Up With Appearances".

Several years ago, while on board the Queen Mary 2, Loretta and I were invited to have dinner with Commodore Bernard Warner. I told him about the episode and the fact that Daisy and Onslo had dinner with the QE2 captain. I gave Commodore Warner a laugh when I told him that Onslo says something like, "You win a free cruise and get first class accommodations, and then they expect you to eat with the crew"!

Terrence

Archived