Question about packing - sort of...

retroPK

So as my siggy says, heading out for our first cruise end of October on the Liberty (Eastern Caribbean). I've been searching and searching the last few weeks for bathing suits and cover ups thinkin "perfect - everything is on sale...woohooo" except it's been a lot harder than i thought :( For one I must be really picky because most of the suits I've come across are ugly..or still way overpriced ($50 each PIECE - ON SALE!...wth??!!) or not in my size. Anyhooooooo my question is this - if I leave without one or both those items, is there plenty of opportunity in either obviously Miami and/or other Ports we'll be visiting to buy these items?? Or will they be even pricier there??

As you can see, I'm from Ontario, Canada and FYI we just finally were able to wear shorts and tank tops this last couple of weeks...finally packed away the parkas, toques and mitts....lol...j/k but it seems that way but I'm shocked at how few summer clothing/bathing suits etc are still available in stores, even since mid July :confused:

I bought 4 on ebay from the same seller in 3 sizes, in case one doesnt fit perfectly another would. Together they were less than $75 including shipping and of course new. I couldnt find anything I liked when I shopped here and what was on sale was $50 and up plus taxes, and I could get 4 for the price of one on ebay and much bigger selection.

PS I lived in S. Florida and you would have to take time to go to a mall and hope they had what you wanted. I wouldnt take that chance if you want to swim when you board unless you are coming way before the cruise, like a couple of days.

I agree with the previous poster. I wouldn't take that chance to go on vaca w/o a swimsuit. I think it's interesting that this isn't the first time I've seen this question.

Here's a couple websites to try:

www.target.com

www.newport-news.com

www.landsend.com

I'm not sure if all 3 ship to Canada, but it's worth a shot. I'd buy something just to make sure you have something for swimming, snorkeling, etc.

So as my siggy says, heading out for our first cruise end of October on the Liberty (Eastern Caribbean). I've been searching and searching the last few weeks for bathing suits and cover ups thinkin "perfect - everything is on sale...woohooo" except it's been a lot harder than i thought :( For one I must be really picky because most of the suits I've come across are ugly..or still way overpriced ($50 each PIECE - ON SALE!...wth??!!) or not in my size. Anyhooooooo my question is this - if I leave without one or both those items, is there plenty of opportunity in either obviously Miami and/or other Ports we'll be visiting to buy these items?? Or will they be even pricier there??

As you can see, I'm from Ontario, Canada and FYI we just finally were able to wear shorts and tank tops this last couple of weeks...finally packed away the parkas, toques and mitts....lol...j/k but it seems that way but I'm shocked at how few summer clothing/bathing suits etc are still available in stores, even since mid July :confused:

Where in Southern Ont are you? I was having the same problem and went to Aqua in Devonshire mall in Windsor they have an awesome sale on right now 50% off and some really great looking suits.

I bought 4 on ebay from the same seller in 3 sizes, in case one doesnt fit perfectly another would. Together they were less than $75 including shipping and of course new. I couldnt find anything I liked when I shopped here and what was on sale was $50 and up plus taxes, and I could get 4 for the price of one on ebay and much bigger selection.

PS I lived in S. Florida and you would have to take time to go to a mall and hope they had what you wanted. I wouldnt take that chance if you want to swim when you board unless you are coming way before the cruise, like a couple of days.

Never thought about Ebay...thanks, I'll have a look ;)

When we were up in Victoria in June we found bathing suits at Hudson's. Couldn't find any I liked on Southern California, go figure!:p

Wow...go figure is right...lol

Where in Southern Ont are you? I was having the same problem and went to Aqua in Devonshire mall in Windsor they have an awesome sale on right now 50% off and some really great looking suits.

I'm actually just down the 401 in London! Been to all the malls but not having much luck...maybe i just need to be less picky but I still find them to be $$$ even on sale! I haven't bought a new suit in a few years ( :o ) but $50 a piece I think is ridiculous...and I can't seem to find a basic cover-up for less than $35ish...on sale at that :eek: Thinking about maybe taking a trip to Port Huron within the next few weeks (back to school shopping) maybe I'll find a deal there :rolleyes:

I have always found swimsuits around the tourist areas to be way more in price that what I would pay in my area. If you have a Dillard's in your area check them out. I always find great quality swim wear there at the end of the season at pretty good prices. Yes, you will still shell out more than what a mass discount store charges but they hold up so much better.

I'm in Ontario as well..If you are close to mississauga go to the Dixie Outlet Mall..there is a binki Village & La vie en rose Auqa and another swimsuit store...I picked up a bunch of nice quality bathsuits. (DKNY , Powder room , Hurley ) this past weekend. They always have huge sales on bathsuits at this mall...I didn't pay more than $5.99 per piece. The Power room bikini's were $1.99 per piece. Always have HUGE sales...the Tommy hilfiger Outlet in the Mall has Awesome bikini's for $9.99

I think I've bought about 18 new , differnt style bathing suits during my last 5 visits to that mall. Plus cover-ups....sundresses!!! My husband thinks I'm CRAZY...lol

You can't go wrong at Dixie outlet mall..always super cheap!!!!!

Never thought about Ebay...thanks, I'll have a look ;)

Wow...go figure is right...lol

I'm actually just down the 401 in London! Been to all the malls but not having much luck...maybe i just need to be less picky but I still find them to be $$$ even on sale! I haven't bought a new suit in a few years ( :o ) but $50 a piece I think is ridiculous...and I can't seem to find a basic cover-up for less than $35ish...on sale at that :eek: Thinking about maybe taking a trip to Port Huron within the next few weeks (back to school shopping) maybe I'll find a deal there :rolleyes:

Its worth the drive to Dixie Outlet. we are from welland and make the 1.5 hour drive every few weeks... you will not leave empty handed!!!

I found a suit at Sports Authority. Do y'all have them there? It wasn't cheap, but I bought it in the middle of the summer. It is 2 pieces of Nike swimwear. I'm not one to shop by brand, but I have to admit it looks much better on me than my old swimsuit.

The Sear's outlet in the Dixie Mall always seems to have bathing suits and cover-ups. Not sure of prices, though.

Don't know if you have a Winners near you.. but it's always worth a try!

Holly

Its worth the drive to Dixie Outlet. we are from welland and make the 1.5 hour drive every few weeks... you will not leave empty handed!!!

Def worth a shot...thank you!

I found a suit at Sports Authority. Do y'all have them there? It wasn't cheap, but I bought it in the middle of the summer. It is 2 pieces of Nike swimwear. I'm not one to shop by brand, but I have to admit it looks much better on me than my old swimsuit.

We have similar stores but still rather overpriced for me but def works as a last resort!

The Sear's outlet in the Dixie Mall always seems to have bathing suits and cover-ups. Not sure of prices, though.

Don't know if you have a Winners near you.. but it's always worth a try!

Holly

WINNERS! DUH! Lol thank you, will head there today, don't know why I didn't think of that :rolleyes:

I sure wouldn't wait until I got to Miami to look for one. If it's like Texas, by then the winter clothes will be out and you may have trouble finding a suit. (And no, I don't really need winter clothes any time of the year here either. Except maybe a day or two every couple of years.)

Don't leave home without it! We always stay at the Holiday Inn, Port of Miami, across the street from the Bayside Market and the bathing suits in the shops are rather expensive. You can find them cheaper this time of year at your local department stores.

I have found lots of suits on landsend.com I always check on the counter first. It is where they deeply discount items to clear them out. The items come out on Saturday, reduced 25% Mon, 50% Wed, 75% on Fri. I have gotten swimsuits in my size for $10. They are very good quality. Just check back every week.

Marilyn

I hate shopping for bathing suits. Of course, if I lost 20 pounds or so I probably wouldn't hate it as much!:D I paid way too much for the last suit I bought, and it was on sale. I have never worn it on a cruise, or anywhere else for that matter. I have a very old bikini that I wear when, and if, I decide to swim. Anyway, I wish you luck on finding a suit you like.:)

I have found lots of suits on landsend.com I always check on the counter first. It is where they deeply discount items to clear them out. The items come out on Saturday, reduced 25% Mon, 50% Wed, 75% on Fri. I have gotten swimsuits in my size for $10. They are very good quality. Just check back every week.

Marilyn

Wow! Some great deals!! I've been checking out Lands End but not the counter...thanks for pointing it out!! Nothing for me this week but maybe next! There are a few really really low priced ($5.00 etc) tanktini tops that are a steal if you can get it in your size!! I'll def be keeping an eye on that site!

Archived